[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Innnteresting....but will it work?

That's the big issue with a lot of this multirole stuff the military is trying to produce: it just doesn't work. Like, the F35: it's supposed to be an air-superiority fighter/fighter-bomber/ISR/ECW platform/VTOL/STOL/stealth/high-performance jet fighter....which ends up not being very good at any of those things. Or ACU pattern camo, which was touted as the 'universal camouflage.' It was universal in the sense that it universally sticks out as an unnatural color against eighty to ninety percent of the combat environments we deploy to.

The military is trying to have it both ways by having really fancy toys on what might be a limited budget (despite the fact that our budget outstrips the next five national defense budgets combined), so they want mission platforms that can perform a lot of missions. When you do that, though, they don't end up becoming really good at any one thing. They can do a lot of things adequately, but they'll end up in trouble when called to handle one specific focus.

It's like the trouble we're running into with the A-10. There is not a CAS fighter in the world that can do what the A-10 does. The Air Force hates it (and has a pathological distaste for anything that's a bomber, unless it's either stealthy or capable of leveling a city), but the Army loves it. Because it's the best damned CAS fighter...in the world. It's one of the few fixed-wing aircraft that you can reliably call into a target (WITH heavy munitions) that's danger close. That's amazing.

The Air Force wants to get rid of it. They are trying to kill it. It makes no sense financially speaking (they aren't very expensive), from a mission viewpoint (most of the conflicts we are engaged in require the precision and reliability of the A-10), from a STRUCTURAL viewpoint (the A-10 can flow with severe damage to its airframe), or a reliability viewpoint (the A-10 is continually rated as the most accurate, precise, and specific combat platform, especially in terms of collateral damage. Ironically, drones, which are touted as precise platforms, are among the worst offenders in terms of causing collateral damage).

It's all part of the same mentality in that article up there: each branch wants a multi-role, supersexy platform that can do every mission under the sun. So, yeah, it's kind of cool as a military toy, but as far as its applications are concerned...I'll be convinced when I see it work.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Speaking of backtracking on multirole shenanigans, OHTHANKGOD!!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:41 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote: There is not a CAS fighter in the world that can do what the A-10 does.

There's the Su-25, but that's for the Russkies only. ;)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:33 am

Which is why I just happened to have this handy graphic on retainer!

SPOILER: Show

Essentially, the A-10 is superior to the Su-25 in a lot of ways (even the fact that it's slower is in its favor, as CAS requires an aircraft that can fly slowly). The non-conventional air-frame of the A-10 allows it to loiter and maneuver in a very tight air space for a long period of time, and place munitions with absurd accuracy. The only aircraft that could outperform the A-10 in that kind of integrated CAS would be helicopters, and the primary thing against them is that they can't carry the sheer firepower of the A-10 (even the A-10's primary cannon; the aircraft is essentially built around one of the longest and largest 30-mm cannons in the US arsenal).

So, yes, the Su-25 is a reliable CAS platform, but it just doesn't meet the standards of the A-10. And that's not me hoah-ing the US military (we've never quite figured out the sublime simplicity the Russians had when designing the AK platform; as much as I like it, the AR platform is a disaster that works until its a disaster).
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Some day, all advertising will be like this -- https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/01/russian-billboard-advertising-contraband-hides-when-it-recognises-cops/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:39 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Some day, all advertising will be like this -- https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/01/russian-billboard-advertising-contraband-hides-when-it-recognises-cops/

But wait until the police realizes they can catch more criminals by posing as regular civilians with unmarked cars!

I mean, they could have transforming vehicles to fight transforming billboards, like in M.A.S.K.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 pm

The Poseidon Adventure is real.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/03/asia/china-yangtze-river-ship-sinking/[/url]
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 am

Last edited by StarShaper7 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Someone call Jeff Dunham, I just found material for his next comedy routine.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Sometimes, Gargoyle sums up my reaction perfectly. This is one of those times.

SPOILER: Show
Oh, humans...
[Redacted]

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:40 pm

I don't usually discuss non-Eva things on this board, but I should probably start. You guys have been awesome these past few pages.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Miss Piggy wins an award for being an exceptional feminist.

A porcine strumpet with anger issues who takes out her frustration on her passive, terrified boyfriend at any opportunity is praised as a good feminist. How very fitting.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:27 pm

A muppet getting a prestigeous award huh. What a bunch of muppets.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:08 pm

I wish Miss Piggy would mock Regis Philbin again.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:18 pm

When you grow up with the Muppets as role models, you take what you can get. And comparatively speaking, Miss Piggy has a lot of virtues that go along with her vices: she's goal oriented, strong, will not allow herself to be dominated or domineered, fiercely protective (when she chooses to be), and not above taking a pratfall.

The recipient doesn't have to be a perfect saint. Doesn't even have to be a human being, in my opinion. I mean, think about it: did you know about this award until Miss Piggy got it?

What's that?...you do now?

Looks like the Jim Henson Company scored another point for progressivism.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:20 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Looks like the Jim Henson Company scored another point for progressivism.

Don't you mean Disney?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Police department or no fun zone?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Don't you mean Disney?

No, I mean JHC: they may be owned by Disney, but they still get to direct a lot of their own IP. Besides, the progressive slant of JHC was established long before their association with Disney: that's founder's philosophy.

On that cop thing, yeah that's overreacting, but can you blame them? I mean, look what just happened in McKinney. A lot of departments are going to play it safe rather than sorry.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:30 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Looks like the Jim Henson Company scored another point for progressivism.

Yikes, I guess it's time to have a crackdown on puppets, they knew their time would come.

Alton Towers rollercoaster crash victim has leg amputated

Alton Towers isn't a bad park, hope it doesn't suffer too badly from this.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 pm

This rampant prejudice against Muppet and Felt-Americans cannot stand. It will not!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”