[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: STAY AWAY FROM MY CHIEFS. BP

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Those idiot comments, however. While they argue, they're forgetting the fact that if it weren't for these radio operators, football on Thanksgiving wouldn't exist.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Massive Protest Going on in Kiev

It's sad when the only reason I hear about this is because a guy I follow on twitter retweets a Ukrainian person he follows.

Double news in one post because this is just two awesome not to share:

Amazon Announces They're Working on "Prime Air" Delivery Service

With an expected launch date of no earlier than 2015 this is still a ways off, and it might not even become a reality, but holy shit is it cool. To quote a guy in the comments on the Youtube video

This seems like something Google would post on April Fool's day for a laugh... but no. It's fucking real, and it's fucking awesome.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm

It'll usher in a new age of package theft, so it'll be interesting to see what the plans are to overcome it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 pm

As you say:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:49 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/Japan/10493255/Missing-WW2-mega-submarine-found-off-Hawaii.html

There seems to have been a massive edit fail at one point in the story, though:

The whereabouts of the 400-foot long mega-vessel has been the subject of widespread academic debate since its disappearance in 1946 when it was preparing to attack the Panama Canal before being scuttled by US forces.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 am

So they finally found one of the aircraft carrier subs, you'd have thought they'd have documented the area they'd sunk it in.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:46 am

No point in documenting their exact location with any degree of precision - if that happened out in international waters you might have the Russians trying to dredge something up. And since you've already stripped the wreck of everything you want and it has no value except as scrap, why bother to keep it hanging around longer while the Russkies are breathing down your neck?

That being said, it's good they've finally found it. The I-400 was quite a beast, and it wasn't until the Ethan Allen class SSBN came into being that it finally got beaten in size and weight.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:No point in documenting their exact location with any degree of precision - if that happened out in international waters you might have the Russians trying to dredge something up.

Well yeah gotta keep those secrets, but it's not like the Soviets could have dredged up 5000 tons of submarine near Pacific fleet HQ anyway.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Well yeah gotta keep those secrets, but it's not like the Soviets could have dredged up 5000 tons of submarine near Pacific fleet HQ anyway.

Does anyone want to take a risk during the era of Joseph McCarthy and top-secret Soviet Superscience? I think not.

Also, national defense is serious business -
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/03/us-usa-christmas-fighters-idINBRE9B20V820131203
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:32 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 am

I'm disappointed that an Einstein lookalike didn't try to fuel a time machine car, with it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 am

More than two million stolen passwords used for sites such as Facebook, Google and Yahoo and other web services have been posted online.

The data includes more than 326,000 Facebook Inc accounts, some 60,000 Google Inc accounts, more than 59,000 Yahoo Inc accounts
and nearly 22,000 Twitter Inc accounts, according to SpiderLabs. Victims' were from the United States,
Germany, Singapore and Thailand, among other countries.

[url]http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cyber-experts-uncover-2-million-001023886.html[/url]

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:More than two million stolen passwords used for sites such as Facebook, Google and Yahoo and other web services have been posted online.

The Internets wrote:An analysis posted on the SpiderLabs blog showed that the most-common password in the set was "123456," which was used in nearly 16,000 accounts. Other commonly used credentials included "password," "admin," "123" and "1."
Why am I not surprised? People can't think of passwords for shit. Is there a viable alternative to them?
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 pm

They probably think they are clever because no one is going to expect to be this dumb.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:00 pm

I bet they use the same password for email, Facebook, Twitter, Paypal.. etc :lol:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/world/africa/nelson-mandela/
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:24 pm

He'd been ailing for months now. RIP, Nelson Mandela.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Why am I not surprised? People can't think of passwords for shit. Is there a viable alternative to them?

I tend to use lines of poetry as passwords. An old one of mine used to be, "2allthedifference," taking inspiration from Robert Frost.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 pm

I use a an open-source program that randomly generates 20+ character passwords with numbers, caps, and special characters. Usually I use as many characters as the site will allow. Those passwords are stored in an AES 256 bit encrypted file with a 37 letter password I have committed to memory which also requires a key file to decrypt.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:58 am

Iceland grieves after police kill a man for the first time in its history.

Not an Onion article -- Iceland really is that, uh... chill.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”