Komm, Susser Tod - Who is Arianne?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I don't know about that. The arrangement is clearly based on the original, even the instrumentation towards the end mimics it note-for-note.

Did you listen to them side by side? The piano part isn't even remotely the same, not the same notes, not the same chords. The vocal melody changed in a few places. The EoE version goes through at least 2 more choruses before the singing starts, there's an added organ part that is missing from the new version. I'm trying to find where at the end it's note-for-note the same with the original and I'm not able to find it, the organ parts are completely different, new version missing the strings. The arrangement sounds similar, the 2 songs sound similar, but that's not enough to make a copyright claim on an arrangement. When someone plays and records Duke Ellington's arrangement of the Nutcracker suite, unless it's exactly the same thing, he doesn't have a claim. And that's because Nutcracker is public domain, if it was an arrangement of an already copyrighted work, Duke wouldn't even have that claim.

What claim does exist, however, is the original songwriter. Any new arrangement can't be sold without a Mechanical License. I don't know who owns these rights.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 am

That song is in the public domain, so Ellington's SOL in any event. George Harrison's ghost will be thrilled to learn that cutting choruses and adding minor instrumentation means you can tell the copyright holder to eff off. Anyway, it's something of a moot point, since a new arrangement would not absolve Arianne of responsibility:

May I make a new arrangement of copyrighted musical work without violating the copyright?
No. Under U.S. Copyright Law, the making of a new arrangement of a copyrighted musical composition would be considered a “derivative work.” A derivative work is work based on or derived from another copyrighted work. As such, the right to make a derivative work is exclusively held by the copyright owner. Therefore, you could only make a new arrangement of a copyrighted work with the permission of the original copyright holder.

If I make a new arrangement of a copyrighted song with the permission of the composer, may I claim a copyright on the new arrangement?

If you have been given the permission by the copyright owner of a musical work to make a new arrangement, that new arrangement will receive copyright protection. Again, however, copyright protection would not be extended to the new arrangement unless the permission of the original copyright holder was provided. If requesting permission from the original copyright holder, it is critical to obtain that permission in writing so it can later be documented.

http://mtna.net/Resources/CopyrightInformation/CopyrightFAQs/tabid/316/Default.aspx

There are a lot of unknown factors here (KST's music publisher may not have anything to do with Anno/Sagisu/Gainax, for one thing) but it's undoubtedly more complex than you let on. Arianne merely performed on the original recording -- that doesn't entitle her to any particular rights. There's gotta be multiple royalties involved here. But in the end I don't care THAT much so I'll leave it there.

EDIT: looks like you've been Googling some of the same things I have since you added those last four sentences after I started typing this.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 am

View Original Postarael wrote:She's selling the song isn't she...?
Someone taking a steak out of the cash cow without their knowing or consent...

That's your assumption, bud. Most of us are satisfied it's her and smart enough to know we're not privy to what's going on behind the scenes. If you want to tilt at windmills, you go right ahead. Just don't expect anyone else to follow your lead.

@Warren: You might want to note you're quoting U.S. copyright law there. Since we're talking about a Japanese property and a work by a British singer, well . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:@Warren: You might want to note you're quoting U.S. copyright law there. Since we're talking about a Japanese property and a work by a British singer, well . . .

I'm sure the Berne Convention has similar language.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I'm sure the Berne Convention has similar language.

Note the U.S. wasn't a party to that convention for over a century, and while we did eventually ratify it we also took a minimalist approach to compliance.

Our approach to legal matters is very much not in lockstep with the rest of the world. Sometimes there are good reasons for that, sometimes it's just plain fucked up, but either way it means using U.S. law as a reference for an international matter is a bad idea.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 am

This is exactly why I decided against getting my GED in Law, too much work. :stars:

Ardorius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ardorius » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Ugh... just... I oh wait, that's not so ba... ew. OMG gross. Shut it off, shut it off!

The vocals are decent, but the dubstep - yeck.

I guess I just like the EoE version better. The new flute makes it seem too much like a doctor's waiting room remix. I can't really see this having the same dichotomy as the original.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Eh the new versions are alright, but since I got my hopes up, they're really a letdown.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:12 am

Is it me or does the remake version of the song go "feel the best thing I could do is end it all and live forever?" I mean, it sounds somewhat ambiguous in the original version, but here, the word sound definitely like "live" to me.

I quite like the re-recording. I think the instrumentation is pretty interesting and gives nice alternative to the original, and Arianne's vocals are quite good. I like the easygoing mood of it, though I have this vague impression that the mood is... ignorant of the dark tone of the lyrics, as opposed to the original, which was intentionally made to clash. Also, the absence of a chorus is keenly felt.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 pm

According to her Facebook, April 7th is Arianne's Birthday! ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:According to her Facebook, April 7th is Arianne's Birthday! ^_^

...Good for you.

Okay, everyone, I know I'm not the most popular EGer around here, but really. I think we have officially analyzed the CRAP out of the legal issues surrounding this song.

I thought this topic was about the song, not its legal state.
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:...Good for you.

Er, good for me, what? I just thought people would be interested in Arianne's birthday or want to send her well-wishes if they like her enough.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:24 pm

The site's been updated, has some videos now http://www.kommsussertod2012.com/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:43 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The site's been updated, has some videos now http://www.kommsussertod2012.com/

I don't mind the song, but I'm not wild about the video. It's hard to imagine "It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down" without watching the world turn to tang. A chick dancing in front of a screen with scenes from EoTV doesn't quite cut it.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Legality and real Ariannes aside, that music video was probably the most uninspired, unnatural and narcisstic shit I've seen in a while.
It's just Komm Susser Tod with a modern generic drum section, vocals that don't seem to be able to pull off what it's singer probably intended it to sound like.
She tried to be different to the original recording, but she didn't quite get there.
And the video is just her dancing before a projector with funky filter puke all over.
Her whole act just screamed "AM I SEXY/LADY GAGA YET" out loud and generally was just sad to watch.
And the scenes taken from NGE seemed random as fuck, too. (You can even see the pause thingy of the video player on the right top at some point in the video.

All in all, she had me hyped over some sort of self-glorifying video with no substance at all for nothing.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:42 pm

That was fucking embarrassing. So they just grabbed a couple Quicktime files of Eva, boosted the contrast to 100% & then had her dance in front of a white wall in a series of so-bad-they-aren't-even-hipster outfits?

This makes me respect Hideaki Anno all the more for writing such powerful lyrics & finding the right singer with the right vocals for EOE. And Arianne less so for being quite dreadful.

P.S. As a German speaker it's sad they misspell the title of the song in the video itself. It's TOD, one D, not TODD.

So basically the title of her song now translates to "Come Sweet Todd". Who the fuck is Todd?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Quite shabby indeed :coffee:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Well that was terrible.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Huh.........

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 am

I think the youtube comments pretty much sum it up lol She is actually replying to some of them.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”