[MANGA] [NGE] Compare the Manga vs. the Anime. What do you t

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
dennisud
Embryo

[NGE] Compare the Manga vs. the Anime. What do you think?

•      
  •      

Postby dennisud » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:40 am

I've seen previous discussions on the merits of both the Manga and the Anime. I'd like to see what people here think good and bad!

I'm more partial to the Manga in that it can get into much more detail than the constrictions of the Anime. IMHO there is a bit more freedom to express on the written, or in this case drawn page than in the visuality of the Anime. Though most would want to see things going in front of them as in the typical couch potato, I like the idea that with only a few panels of drawings you can imagine so much more in your head.

What do you all think? :D

dennisud
dennisud

History repeats itself, especially for those who don't learn from it! Hence the name "Butt head!" Hehehehehehe!!

http://www.geocities.com/dennisud2015/

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:24 am

I like the Manga more because it shows Rei in the buff more. Seriously though, in the manga we're able to see Shinji's thoughts a bit more and thus are able to relate to what he's going through more than in hte anime. Plus you also kinda lose the "Monster of the Week" feeling you had at time during the anime with fewer angels and stuff.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Dennis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:13 pm

I have read all 8 volumes of the manga released stateside, and from what I can tell it has 3 major advantages over the anime.
1-Less expensive
2-No TV required
3-Much more Kwarou!

Dennis
*insert something witty*

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:18 pm

thatstoodamnbad wrote:3-Much more Kwarou

Could have used less of him personally, dosn't he use a chainsaw in V.9?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:56 pm

EVA-01X wrote:dosn't he use a chainsaw in V.9?

Unfortunately.

In general, I think the manga is quite good. I still prefer the anime to the manga, as the Anime is coming from Anno, and the manga is coming from Sadamoto. They both are skilled at story telling, but I prefer Anno's craft. I will say however that the quality of the manga is exceptional, and I think you could argue that it is greater in terms of quality.

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:10 pm

I like the Manga. Not as much as the anime, but it still has its own way about it. The art is definfitely up, as well it should be (being non-moving and all).

Though, the Manga only really changed one things for me: I hate Kaworu even more. He was a dirty traitor in the anime, now he kills puppies!? What's up with that? :evil:

And they don't have enough Asuka :P . I think Sadmoto likes Rei better... of course there isn't anything wrong with that, Rei's still cool.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:35 pm

Thats the one thing I don't like about about the Manga, Sadmoto makes him a much more sinister character. There was a point to that scene, but it can get misconstrued easily.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:14 pm

I enjoy the Manga for the simply reason that it gives another perspective on Eva--something (for me at least since I just started the Manga) that can somewhat satisfy my hunger for 'new' or 'different' Eva. That being said, I do not like it better than the anime though. I enjoy Anno's version and crafting of the story better than Sadamoto's, especially when it comes to characters. I haven't gotten far enough along yet to see Kaworu, but I already do not like the way Shinji is portrayed. He is much more "Rebel without a Cause" then he is potrayed in the series. It is more like he is acting tough and cool in the Manga as a way to displace and hide his feelings of worthlessness and rejection whereas in the series he was essentially 'autistic' in the end. The first is a typical character stero-type for me while the second was the one that always drew me in to Eva. Its a more original take on the protagonist in my view.
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:23 pm

Mr.Guy wrote:He was a dirty traitor in the anime, now he kills puppies!? What's up with that? :evil:

There was a purpose to that scene, I read something about it once, I think it had to do with masturbation or something... I'm probably dead wrong.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:27 pm

Phaze wrote:
Mr.Guy wrote:He was a dirty traitor in the anime, now he kills puppies!? What's up with that? :evil:

There was a purpose to that scene, I read something about it once, I think it had to do with masturbation or something... I'm probably dead wrong.

O_o

I don't own the 8th manga volume so I wouldn't really know what that scene meant... but I can't really find a connection between killing a dog and masturbating.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:35 pm

Like I said, dead wrong.
What I remember is that the article was talking about Kaworu and the expression "kill/choke the cat/dog" I honestly have no clue... maybe Eva Monkey knows what I'm talking about, he seems to have read quite a bit...
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:26 am

Waitaminnit, is this Kaworu thing in volume 8 or 9? Because I don't remember seeing it in 8. o_o; Now you ruined the surprise for me! XP

Anyway, as for the manga vs. the anime, they both have their good and bad qualities. I like the manga version somewhat more than the anime because of the fact that the characters are fleshed out a little more, and Rei isn't as monotonous and emotionless as she was in the anime (which kind of got on my nerves after a point). Although so far, Asuka has been protrayed as an annoying bitch, which I don't like so much.

The anime version has the advantage of showing more action, and can be a little more dynamic than the manga. It also seems to me that most of the characters are a lot more emotional than in the manga.
Close your eyes and listen hard

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Does one have to be better then the other?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:02 pm

I like the Manga more because it shows Rei in the buff more. :lol:
Now THAT was funny.

Humor aside, does it really have to be the Manga vs. the Anime?
I love both of them.
While the Anime and movies tell Anno's orginal story, the Manga dodges a lot of the anime's plot in favor of even more character development. It's definatly more in depth chacter wise, and that is saying something.

But I have to say, I would feel royaly screwed if i had to choose on over the other. They complement eachother.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:10 pm

I like both the anime and tha manga, but I do prefer the Anime. The Manga is good, but Asuka seems like just a side character in it, and the relationship between Rei and Shinji, and Asuka and Shinji seems to be reversed from the anime (sorry if this doesn't make sense). Also anyone know when the translated version of 9 is comming out so I can make sense of this Kaworu business.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Slade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:47 pm

Yea, Im kinda lost on the Kaworu thing too.
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

manga

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:09 pm

I feel the manga holds the advantage in how the story is presented. I love how we can always get inside Shinji's head and see how he really feels. Thing that he would not tell others and the emotions that curse through him during the most urgent of situations.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:18 am

Actually, he killed a kitten.
I can only take so much retarded.

secondson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby secondson » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:08 pm

I like the manga, probably a lot more than the series - I never really cared for the series in the first place. I just like the way it's paced and presented, I think it does a better job of portraying the characters...

You may begin the beatings now.
All right, when I say your name, you say here. And we will assume here is short for Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:40 pm

No no i actually like the Manga better too!

I hate it when people say it's a "dumbed down" version of Eva. No way, it was just stream-lined.
And it has more emotion to it and it's more mature.
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

manga

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:35 pm

I think the manga wold translate into a live action movie more smoothly beacuse of the fact that it's streamlined.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”