[MANGA] [NGE] Compare the Manga vs. the Anime. What do you t

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Could you clarify what you meant by that? Sorry.

I said I liked the backstory, if that's what you meant by not interesting.

Sorry, i had my mind somewhere else when i was reading that. :oops:
I actually meant that it was interesting that Kaji was given a past. I mean, i consider him as a key character in Eva, so i liked the fact that Sadamoto gave him an extra storyline.

Edit button and we're done. "^^
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:38 am

Just finished the first volume of the manga. Really, really enjoyed it - Sadamoto's art is consistently excellent. His artwork was, by far, the highlight of the volume for me ^_^ I'm not sure I like the way Shinji is developing, though .....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 am

Here and there, I've read various volumes of the Manga. Not sure if I did read ALL of them though, but I do remember reading some of the most recent ones: 9, 10 and a fan-translation of 11.

I think giving Kaji a past is an interesting idea, though I prefer how he's kinda mysterious in a sense in the anime.

The characterization on the other hand, I really don't care for: Misato seems to be the same, but is given the shaft, Kaji seems more bitter and something of an asshole ("[Shinji] doesn't deserve to be happy"? Oh come on! I can't ever imagine Anime-Kaji saying such things!), Asuka is made into a complete bitch (with Shinji even mentally calling her that once!!) instead of having a VALID REASON for the way she acts and also given the shaft, while Rei seems more talkative and that doesn't seem very Rei-like, so it's just creepy. -_-

I've already rambled about Manga-Shinji before, so I'm not gonna do that here.

What I really don't understand though, is why does Shinji seem to be romantically interested in Rei (and vice-versa) when he himself once internally stated something along the lines of "Words such as "Like" don't explain how I feel about Ayanami...It's more like she's a part of me from long ago that I've lost." (Hint: Yui-sama, lolz) I mean, whatever happened to THAT point? Did Sadamoto just scrap that or what?

On the plus side, Sadamoto's art IS very pretty, but the fact that he was the freaking Character Designer for the anime, I'd hope this was the case. ;)

Although the manga is interesting on its own, especially little bits such as Shinji getting to see "Adam", Kaji's past, and Shinji trying to become happy despite everything around him's going to hell, it just can't compare to the anime. Especially considering the Evangelion Manga doesn't seem to have that same psychological kick to it, probably because it's on paper as opposed to animated.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
What I really don't understand though, is why does Shinji seem to be romantically interested in Rei (and vice-versa) when he himself once internally stated something along the lines of "Words such as "Like" don't explain how I feel about Ayanami...It's more like she's a part of me from long ago that I've lost." (Hint: Yui-sama, lolz) I mean, whatever happened to THAT point? Did Sadamoto just scrap that or what?

Simple: He's such a Rei-fanboy! And he probably forgot about that little part.

I so hate the lack of Asuka, not because she's my favorite character and i don't get many scenes but because it seems there is no Pilot-02. :roll:
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:16 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:I so hate the lack of Asuka, not because she's my favorite character and i don't get many scenes but because it seems there is no Pilot-02. :roll:

So, Asuka's role in the manga is toned down from her role in the anime?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Very much so, same with Misato.

Those two take a backseat as the relationship between Rei and Shinji is put into the foreground, and with a romantic spin to it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Very much so, same with Misato.

Those two take a backseat as the relationship between Rei and Shinji is put into the foreground, and with a romantic spin to it.

Not so sure I like that :/ Still, I'll continue with it just because it's Evangelion and I want to see how Sadamoto ends it, too!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:12 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:...Still, I'll continue with it just because it's Evangelion and I want to see how Sadamoto ends it, too!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope your a patient person then.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”