Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Uzumaki was really weird, but pretty good.
Madoka Magica was a good manga, but I somehow found it hard to sympathize with the characters.
Surely, everyone has read One Piece and Death Note by now? You should give them a change. (Altought some early One Piece arcs can drag on for too long)

And I know it's not a manga.
But HOMESTUCK is too good damned.

Also Franken Fran. It's NSFW though. Also body horror.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 am

My manga recommendations:
-Psyren. (Pretty dull beginning, but gets better.)
-Mirai Nikki. (Manga is great, but i think that anime version is amazing.)
-The Disappearance Of Yuki-Chan.
-Deadman Wonderland.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:M-Mirai Nikki. (Manga is great, but i think that anime version is amazing.)

I'm seeing very mixed reports of this, often complaining that the story is incoherent. Can you see why?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Ohhhhhhh yes! Aku no Hana is back up with new chapters! Ya'll need to read this, it's part ironic-funny/genuinely funny/fucked up/awesome.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'm seeing very mixed reports of this, often complaining that the story is incoherent. Can you see why?

SPOILER: Show
Weird.... :huh: The only thing i come up why the plot could be incoherent, is that there is a plot twist where time travelling is involved. Maybe that causes confusion to some people.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Last edited by Redtophat on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am

View Original PostJune wrote:Bokurano

Yes, yes, Bokurano is awesome. It's similar to Eva in some ways, but doesn't feel like a clone. It's got its own tragic feel :lol:

As for me, I've started reading Eiji Ohtsuka's The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. It's pretty good, combines horror elements with detective/mystery action. It combines supernatural elements such as psychics and spirits with more modern-day detective work such as forensics and hacking. It's similar to Ohtsuka's earlier work MPD Psycho, although it's a bit less extreme and graphic. A bit. The tones of the two manga are also markedly different from each other. The story is pretty good and I personally found the scenarios very interesting. Both Kurosagi and MPD Psycho are definitely NSFW at several points though, if you haven't figured it out already.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Five Star Stories

HNNNGGG that's a lot of Nagano you'll be tasting there. Get ready. The art is absolutely gorgeous.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Yes, yes, Bokurano is awesome.

How does it compare to the anime? I found the anime to be terribly overrated.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 20, 2013 4:33 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:How does it compare to the anime? I found the anime to be terribly overrated.
The only thing people seem to have liked about the Bokurano anime is the OP; it's a classic case of adaptation decay with a manga being animated while still on-going and getting a GONZO end. And that's before getting to the rumours that the director found the original material unpleasant and wanted to radically change the tone -- and even without that, from the very outset there was a level of "can't show that on TV".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm

So I should still give the manga a chance, even if I didn't really enjoy the anime?
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:How does it compare to the anime? I found the anime to be terribly overrated.

Pretty much what Mr. Tines said. The anime version has several altered events, some different character backgrounds and a different ending. Basically it's what Sadamoto's manga is to NGE and EoE. I prefer the Bokurano manga because of it just seems more gripping to me, but I guess if you read the manga and like it but want a different ending you can watch the Bokurano anime.

The Bokurano manga is definitely much, much better than the Bokurano anime IMHO. I would seriously reccomend you give it a try. Several of the characters and events are more hard-hitting in the manga than in the anime because the anime was altered to remove depressing stuff that the director didn't like.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 am

View Original PostParanoid wrote:So I should still give the manga a chance, even if I didn't really enjoy the anime?
I'd say so. This was my take on the differences in tone -- including the anime original comedy yakuza

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

I really don't get what all the fuss is about Deathnote. It's good, but it's so text heavy at sometimes, it becomes to dry for me. Half of it's fanbase seem to be weeaboo fangirls that think Light is hot. Anyways, here's a list of manga that I recommend.
SPOILER: Show
-Berserk. So damn good, a lot better than the anime. I just recently bought all 35 volumes at a used book store.
-Uzumaki. A really great 3 volume series, extremely disturbing. It felt like one long horror movie.
-Dragonball. Dragonball is amazing, even better if you read DBZ. It really feels like an old epic. Unfortunately, DBZ gets really dumb near the end.
-Akira. My favorite manga. This is like the manga Bible, so amazing and so epic. It surpasses the movie ten fold.
-Eyeshield 21. Eyeshield is a really great football manga. It starts out so good, around the middle it gets boring, but it picks up again for the finale. Unfortunately, it has a really bad ending.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I really don't get what all the fuss is about Deathnote.
Half of it's fanbase seem to be weeaboo fangirls that think Light is hot.

Kind of answered your own question there.

Berserk. So damn good, a lot better than the anime. I just recently bought all 35 volumes at a used book store.

Very lucky. I was thinking of getting around to reading it myself when I have some time (although I never actually finished the anime, it's on my backlog) but getting a hold of every single volume is a pain.
I like food.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Very lucky. I was thinking of getting around to reading it myself when I have some time (although I never actually finished the anime, it's on my backlog) but getting a hold of every single volume is a pain.

They are all in rough shape, even the newer volumes. The spines are pretty worn, there's some markings on the pages, and the previous owner dog eared all the pages with nudity, which is very unsettling. They are really hard to find now, especially in new condition. I wish Darkhorse would do an omnibus of the series. And once you start reading the manga, the anime just seems so worthless. It was really only made to sell the manga.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Re-reading Five Star Stories. Had forgotten how much I loved TEH NAGANO TEH MANGA.

And it is in my very personal and humble opinion that everyone should get to read TEH NAGANO TEH MANGA at least once in their life time to get the proper dose of Nagano the organism needs.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 pm

^I'm reading through Knights of Sidonia right now (which is really good) and plan to read either Five star or Bokurano next.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:56 pm

I'll try to get a good version of Sidonia. I started reading it a few days ago, but the version I got was so crappy it bored me to hell. The file format was screwed somehow.

Anyway, when you get into FSS, keep in mind: it's a slow read, which requires patience. Don't try and read it all in one swoop, or otherwise it might feel a bit overwhelming and, well...boring. If you take it in a steady pace, you will enjoy it much, much more.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sat May 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Ah will do, will do maybe two chapters a day, thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Anime and Manga”