Rampant Speculation on Misato and Second Impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Rampant Speculation on Misato and Second Impact

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:11 pm

this would fail to explain how Misato didn't really have any idea what Adam was at later points

we never really understood "why was Misato there"...but I take it as just "hey, it was his attempt to spend more time with her"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:23 pm

V wrote:"hey, it was his attempt to spend more time with her"
Sort of like a "Bring Your Kid to the Apocalypse" Day at work...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 pm

Reichu has a very elaborate theory about this, small bits and pieces of which occasionally strike me in a manner not unlike that of micrometeoroids.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:17 am

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:Does having an Eva there make more sense than an Angel that has been decked out in constraining armor similar to the Eva's?

Since no Evas existed until years later, no.

I wish I had more time to pour over everything again and again, and perhaps should have held this theory pending further investigation, but I'm becoming less certain that the creature in the photograph was Adam.

The identity of the white giant has never really been in question. It's Adam, fitted with restraining devices akin to those later put on the Evas.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:21 am

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:Does having an Eva there make more sense than an Angel that has been decked out in constraining armor similar to the Eva's? I wish I had more time to pour over everything again and again, and perhaps should have held this theory pending further investigation, but I'm becoming less certain that the creature in the photograph was Adam.

I doubt it was an Eva, since people were babbling about the S^2 and they specifically said "Adam" during the giant of light part.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:36 am

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:45 am

I recommend leaving this topic alone. Last time I tried to tackle it I lost sleep over it because my brain couldn't slow down.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Katsuragi was with his daughter during the incident, and they were both on the side of razor wire opposite from that of a building scattered with several emergency pods.

The escape capsules were on the surface. The site with the razor wire doesn't seem to be -- you hear someone say "Walking also confirmed on the surface!" over a radio line. Dr. K and Misato appear to have already passed through this area, and the only probable way they could have survived the first large explosion (the one that ends the video footage) is if they were between the Geofront and the surface at the time (as in on a lift).

Misato's coat does not appear torn where her chest scar is; blood has been seeping into the coat from within however, apparently

Indeed. It's worth noting that Dr. Katsuragi has extensive "leakage" going on, himself. The simplest explanation is that the two of them were injured (in an explosion or whatever) prior to putting on "protective gear". Dr. K may have shielded Misato with his own body, which would explain why he's so much more fucked up than she is.

The scar on Misato's chest lines up somewhat with where the Spear is piercing Adam

The scar Misato has bears no resemblance to the puncture wounds inflicted by the Spear, which Adam received billions of years ago, apparently through the sternum. Also, according to the premises established in the show, there is no possible way for synchronization to occur between Misato and Adam in the first place, unless you want to introduce conspiracy theories that they sucked out Adam's soul and put in Misato's mom instead -- but that really wouldn't make any sense at all, for any number of reasons.

Misato's plug is ejected and her father burns his hands terribly while freeing her

They're depicted as burnt in the shot where you see him straight-on, but that's more extensive than palm-burning. The injury also goes beyond burning, as well; what you call "melting" seems more like lacerations to me. (Also note: "His skin hangs like a tattered cloth.") Bone is also exposed in a couple of places -- not only on his hand, but his arm, as well.

I received the impression that his hands/arm were injured in an incident after he put on the cold weather gear, in part due to the fact that the gloves and sleeve are all tattered in the first place. I haven't BSed a satisfactory explanation for myself as to how it happened, though...

What was Adam doing the whole time Katsuragi was trudging to the emergency pod?

Aside from glowing a lot and projecting an AATF -- damned if I know.

Why did Second Impact occur so immediately following the securing of Misato? Could it be typical TV drama timing?

Yes.

V wrote:we never really understood "why was Misato there"...but I take it as just "hey, it was his attempt to spend more time with her"

Dragging her to a research base on the butt-bottom of the world seems a wee bit counterintuitive if he's interested in improving father-daughter relations -- least of all considering what his obsession with research did for the family in the first place.

I always fancied the idea that Mama Katsuragi took herself out after the divorce, and Dr. K accepted custody because... he could.

BobBQ wrote:Reichu has a very elaborate theory about this, small bits and pieces of which occasionally strike me in a manner not unlike that of micrometeoroids.

Only "small bits and pieces"? After all my troubles?

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:I am interested in reading Reichu's elaborate theory.

It's rejected theory I rehashed into an elaborate Tower of Fanwank for fanfiction purposes. Assuming I ever finish the story*, it'll all be there.

* PROTIP: Don't try writing about a character who successfully breaks the laws of physics when you yourself know nothing about physics.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Reichu wrote:Only "small bits and pieces"? After all my troubles?

Do you know how many months it's been since I saw anything resembling actual story content?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:I assumed the long, arching nature of the scar would have, in this theory, come from surgeons having to go in to repair internal damage from the lancing. I'm reaching, as always, of course.

That would have been done WHILE Misato was in the entry plug and synchronized? Additionally, the internal damage from the Spear would be between the sternum and upper back -- in the upper chest.

I already commented on the impossibility of Misato synchronizing with Adam, but note also that damage/etc. which isn't inflicted while the pilot is actively synchronized is not transferred over. For example, the various mutilations imposed upon the Evas (cybernetic implants, and such) never manifest in the pilots.

Second Impact has always been a particularly frustrating aspect of NGE for me because it makes so little sense and was never close to resolved.

Probably because it DOESN'T make sense and it CAN'T be resolved. It's brutally hard to logistically work out all of the elements of the Contact Experiment and Second Experiment even within a fanfic environment where one is free to change details here and there. (Kind of fun as a masochistic creative exercise, but still hard.)

Now that I suspect we will be learning much more about it in Rebuild

A different version of 2I, a different conversation.

Plus I wanted to show everyone that I 'knew' Misato was a pilot before Anno confirms it in the next few movies;) *runs and hides*

The "Misato = donor" conspiracy theory is a pretty old one.

If you need a further deterrent: Misato as the donor entails that she contributes the DNA that fuses with Adam and produces Kaworu. This doesn't strike me as being very probable, even for NGE. If we want a donor who isn't a Random Nobody, Dr. Katsuragi seems to fit the bill slightly better. (Not that people didn't flog me for advocating that idea. Bunch of sourpusses. It's all their fault I'm writing fanfiction!)

Pointless Trivia: Misato was still 13 when 2I happened.

BobBQ wrote:Do you know how many months it's been since I saw anything resembling actual story content?

Does that mean you want to see more unfinished crap during the additional delay necessitated to fill my brain with physics?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:Also, I looked around for 'photos' and didn't see Misato's back anywhere; I suspect she has a scar there too.

Try episode 15. No scar FYI. EoE rehash from another thread

We see blood pouring from Asuka's left eye in 25', and that was my reasoning for the Spear alone damaging Misato

Yeah, the problem is the Spear has been in Adam for like 4 billion years, so why would it affect Misato? She has to synch with Adam then get speared, and as far as we know she CAN'T synch with Adam.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Seele 00 Text Only wrote:"Amidst the dancing debris and powerdy snow, a man with tattered clothes walks forward, carrying a 14-year-old girl."

According to her official birthday, she technically turns 14 on the following December.

We see blood pouring from Asuka's left eye in 25', and that was my reasoning for the Spear alone damaging Misato; obviously none of the other damages in the series had direct manifestation in the pilots except in 25'.

The assumption "only a Spear can render damage onto a pilot" is a potentially fallacious one -- but there are preexisting threads about the Asuka thing.

Also see AEF reiterating my previous argument.

I am operating under the dubious assumption that Rebuild, as the name (and other circumstantial evidence) implies, is in fact a sequel.

Let's not wield the "Rebuild as potential add-on the NGE canon" theory, ESPECIALLY outside of the Rebuild forum, until people have actually seen and discussed the movies -- all of them -- or the movies otherwise spell it out in plain words at some point.

Thank you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:26 pm

2I, Misato, Dr. Kat, and the goings on with Adam, the Speer, the CE/"donor" and all that is one of those elements that I think I'm become contented with being in the dark about. Anno simply didn't explain it. Even in the DC, where he had time, all we get is a "documentary style" shot of what's going on, and a lot of chatter in the background. Then, the glimpse of Misato/Dr. Kat earlier on in the series.

My theory (and I know it's still a tenuous one) has to do with a constant linking of Shinji and Misato. Both had problems with parents, both parents "died" in an experiment with Adam/Sho. And, if you buy into the Dr. Kat as donor, the idea that his, errrr, "donation" helped make Kaworu* is an interesting link between Misato/Kaworu and Shinji/Rei.

Also, recall this:

ep. 21 wrote:YUI (OFF):
I'm sorry, Professor Fuyutsuki. I'm the one who brought him.

FUYUTSUKI:
Yui, this is your experiment today.

YUI (OFF):
That's why. I want to show my child the bright future.

Is it possible Dr. Kat had similar expectations with Adam and that's why he brought Misato? It would make another interesting correlation in that experiments that were made to show their children "the bright future" ended up traumatizing them for life. Though, the idea that Yui knew what was going to happen to her disagrees with this, but if we're to assume that I wonder what she meant by the above.

*Yes, I realize Kaworu says he's "made from the same body as the Evas" so perhaps that rules out Dr. Kat being involved in his creation. But I still maintain the right to entertain the theory because I like the connection.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Jimbo wrote:My theory (and I know it's still a tenuous one)

Now, now, Jimbo -- don't think you could come up with anything in the "Dr. Katsuragi as donor" area I haven't already done (and been crucified for if posted prior to my "fanfiction shift"). ;;p

Yes, I realize Kaworu says he's "made from the same body as the Evas" so perhaps that rules out Dr. Kat being involved in his creation.

If Dr. K's DNA wasn't involved, someone else's was. Even if Dad makes a genetic contribution at the beginning, you still arise from Mom's flesh, so to speak.

But I still maintain the right to entertain the theory because I like the connection.

The connections go on for quite a long while, until people start laughing at you because none of them prove anything. But we could always bring my old "Kaworu Katsuragi" thread back to life and have fun anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:54 pm

It might be better left untouched. We're weirdos that like to make fun connections while others laugh at us. It's okay, we've got our own corner of the asylum reserved.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”