My Big Honkin' "Mechanics of the Impacts" Theories

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:There is no connection between the 2. The events are seperated by several billion years. Lilith provided the building bocks for evolution, that is all. What possible connection can there be between events so far apart?
Because we have it mentioned about a billion times that 3I is "the door to the beginning and the end" and all the variations on that. What we see is more or less, a new world being created with the "soup of life" (LCL) serving as its basis. Assuming that's how things started out, it's not hard to see how the two would be related.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
All powerful? Hardly! You're discounting the amout of power that crash would intail.
You're talking about a Lance that's able to bring down near god-like beings and you think crashing into the Earth would be enough to destroy it? Going by even the CI, the Lance is something that's "close to a god" and logically something that has more power than the Seeds whom they were meant to keep from becoming gods.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
Because there is some BS in the SDSS about a "contest of survival if 2 Seeds land on the same planet. Can't have a contest to see who is more worthy if you don't have 2 kinds of humans alive and stuff.
That's an old, old theory. Widely thought to be debunked now, but perhaps some still believe in it. But there's absolutely nothing in the canon of NGE that supports the myth.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
The "Impacts" are always described as disasters.
That's because an Impact begins by wiping out life with an AATF. There was always talk of a destructive/constructive Impact. In my version of the theory, the two are the same thing. Destructive comes first, and Constructive later.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:BTW Adam didn't give birth during 2I (except to Kaworu), the Angels were already around and SEELE wanted Adam gone before the could awaken.

EoE wrote:The Second Impact, 15 years ago, was something that humans devised. But that was in order to minimize the damage, by retroverting Adam all the way to an egg before the other Angels would awaken.
There's a lot about Misato's explanation that still doesn't make sense. In fact, the entire sentence you posted there from Misato doesn't make much sense taken at face value. I sincerely think it's something in the translation. Remember, if we were going on the original translation then Adam would've been born from Lilith.

And remember, the CI was translated too. I've been reading Reichu's translations and even she admits how much trouble it was. Reading through the footnotes requires as much time as the actual thing itself. Her post on the Lance in particular was especially troublesome.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Oh yeah, 3I didn't format the planet for a new species, it reverted it to an earlier stage of developement.
Considering it was Lilith doing the formatting for Lilim (again) of course. It's reverting the Earth back to the beginning. This is why I'm saying that 3I is likely representative of what Earth/Lilim's creation was like. It's NGE's version of Genesis redux.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Uh, wasn't the Spear NOT destroyed as we see a "future scene" of it floating out in space with Yui? And it certinally doesn't seem "all powerful" if Yui can control it!
There's two Lance's in question: Adam's and Lilith's. Supposedly, Adam's was found inside him at the South Pole. Nobody knows what happened to Lilith's.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
So how is it possible that Lilith's Lance is "destroyed" during the Black Moon's impact with Earth? The idea that a mythical, all powerful Lance can be destroyed so easy doesn't make much sense,

Uh, wasn't the Spear NOT destroyed as we see a "future scene" of it floating out in space with Yui? And it certinally doesn't seem "all powerful" if Yui can control it!

That Spear was the one that Eva-00 threw at Arael, which was stuck onto Lilith, which was transported from Antarctica, which was shipped from the Dead Sea, which was shipped from Antarctica, which was found stuck in Adam.

There was some discussion of that being Lilith's spear some time ago on ANF, but that was pre-translation-of-NGE2CI, and the idea was shot down.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:53 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:There is no connection between the 2. The events are seperated by several billion years. Lilith provided the building bocks for evolution, that is all. What possible connection can there be between events so far apart?
Because we have it mentioned about a billion times that 3I is "the door to the beginning and the end" and all the variations on that. What we see is more or less, a new world being created with the "soup of life" (LCL) serving as its basis. Assuming that's how things started out, it's not hard to see how the two would be related.

Are you saying that when Lilith crashed onto Earth (First Impact), she started spewing LCL with souls of Homo Sapiens in it?

EoE wrote:The Second Impact, 15 years ago, was something that humans devised. But that was in order to minimize the damage, by retroverting Adam all the way to an egg before the other Angels would awaken.
There's a lot about Misato's explanation that still doesn't make sense. In fact, the entire sentence you posted there from Misato doesn't make much sense taken at face value. I sincerely think it's something in the translation. Remember, if we were going on the original translation then Adam would've been born from Lilith.

What doesn't make sense about that sentence? The original translation was the piss poor Manga translation, the above was Bochan Bird's translation.

And remember, the CI was translated too. I've been reading Reichu's translations and even she admits how much trouble it was. Reading through the footnotes requires as much time as the actual thing itself. Her post on the Lance in particular was especially troublesome.

The CI was purposely written to use the most confusing of the Japanese language. One of the people who helped me with the first pass translation complained constantly that nobody writes like this and that it was written specifically to be hard to understand. It's different than the dialogue in EoE.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:56 pm

So...this is going to sound very N00bish on my part, but what exactly WAS First Impact? Was it: coverup that that's what killed the dinoasaurs when in reality that's when Lilith and Adam showed up on Earth??

It's one of the things in the show I've never really understood, but just kinda "nod, smile, Okay I agree though I don't get this", same with all that FAR (First Anscestrial Race) stuff.

Also: Shogoki=Lilith AND Adam. Lilim=Lilith. Other Evas and Angels=Adam (even though during 2I, Adam gave birth to a bouncing baby girl while the other Angels were around, just somewhere...else??? :?).
Yes? No? (Again, I do NOT for the life of me, get the mechanics of all this, but felt this is the topic to ask.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So...this is going to sound very N00bish on my part, but what exactly WAS First Impact? Was it: coverup that that's what killed the dinoasaurs when in reality that's when Lilith and Adam showed up on Earth??

NGE2CI Section 19 wrote:B. Generally Recognized Information

The Second Angel, known as Lilith. She came from the moon that carried the
Black Moon (the former became Earth's satellite). Giant, or First, Impact was
caused by the contact between the Moon and Earth.

Adam's arrival on Earth was planned, and she set down gently (more so than Lilith's arrival at least).

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Ornette wrote:Are you saying that when Lilith crashed onto Earth (First Impact), she started spewing LCL with souls of Homo Sapiens in it?
In reality I'm not sure what happened. But we DO know that at some point in time Lilith would've had to create an Earth that was habitable for LDO. Now, I don't know if everything originally came from LCL, in some kind of Evolutionary-theory way, or if Lilith started creating more advanced life. And I'm not going to speculate here.

Ornette wrote:
What doesn't make sense about that sentence? The original translation was the piss poor Manga translation, the above was Bochan Bird's translation.
I'm not sure where to start. It's almost as if it's written backwards.

2I was something man devised <- Let's put that aside for now.

That was in order to minimize the damage <- So they devised something to minimize the damage from something they devised? Lolwut?

By retroverting Adam to an Egg. -> Ok, this tells how they "minimized the damage" but not how they "retroverted Adam to an egg".

Before the other angels would awaken. -> Say what? What does "retroverting Adam to an Egg" have to do with "awakening the Angels"? This makes not a bit of sense.

Misato's explanation, like much in NGE/EoE, leaves us with more questions that in does answers.

I especially don't like how the first two parts (that I broke up) are put together. It implies that 2I was something done by man to keep something worse from happening. Ok, that maybe true technically, but the second part seems to imply that they HAD to devise 2I. "It was in order to minimize the damage".

IMO, starting out by saying that 2I was devised by man, and adam was reverted to an egg to minimize its effects would make more sense. I don't know what the "Angels waking up" have to do with it because this point (AFAIK) hasn't been addressed.

Ornette wrote:
The CI was purposely written to use the most confusing of the Japanese language. One of the people who helped me with the first pass translation complained constantly that nobody writes like this and that it was written specifically to be hard to understand. It's different than the dialogue in EoE.
Even so, the dialogue in EoE still doesn't explain much. I point to the above Misato explanation. It explains that man devised 2I - but other than that, gives no details.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm

I've always read that line as follow:

Minimizing the damage that would be caused by the other Angel's awakening, man devised 2I which retroverted Adam to an egg.

Since the damage of 2I itself was minimized by the scientists using up as much of Adam's AATF as possible.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Ornette wrote:I've always read that line as follow:

Minimizing the damage that would be caused by the other Angel's awakening, man devised 2I which retroverted Adam to an egg.

Since the damage of 2I itself was minimized by the scientists using up as much of Adam's AATF as possible.
Regardless IMO, the bit still has to be read a different way to make much sense out of it.

I still don't think it answers the question of whether or not the Angels were alive before 2I happened or not. Yeah, their "awakening" is mentioned, but nothing else. Can we automatically infer from that the Angels were already on Earth before 2I occurred? If that's so, then why were they never awakened before 2I?

Bleh, my brain is getting all jumbled and full again. I think I need time to regroup...

In my attempted absence for the day, I'd like to see these topics discussed:

1. Any links (commonalities) between 2I and 3I.
2. Lilith's creation of LDOs Post-1I
3. The Lance's main objective, and roll in the Impacts specifically.
4. The SoL and the details behind how they do what they're supposed to do.
5. The mystery of the "Fruits".

I'll be trying to formulate some new ideas based on everything I've read recently...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:That's an old, old theory. Widely thought to be debunked now, but perhaps some still believe in it. But there's absolutely nothing in the canon of NGE that supports the myth.

Oh, but there is.
NGE2 CI wrote:15. Angel

D. In-Depth Information

Two Seeds of Life cannot exist on one planet, and, therefore, one of them is excluded. As recorded in the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls, Adam-based life took part in a contest of survival, putting the stakes on their own existence. Some of them were trying to access Lilith and reset all life, some of them had nothing in mind, and some were trying to recover their progenitor Adam. The Angels -- Adam-based life -- became active under their respective tactics for survival and success.

I still don't think it answers the question of whether or not the Angels were alive before 2I happened or not. Yeah, their "awakening" is mentioned, but nothing else. Can we automatically infer from that the Angels were already on Earth before 2I occurred? If that's so, then why were they never awakened before 2I?

It goes something like this:
1.) SEELE finds the SDSS and in-turn learns of the impending contest and sets out to prevent this while gathering what they need to atain their "godhood"
2.) They find Adam and start their studies on the key to godhood while ploting a way to get rid of those that would threaten their plans
3.) They do some funny processing on the Spear to make sure Adam gets turned into an egg while they kill their competition off
4.) They set Katsuragi up "the bomb" in theory simotaniously getting rid of those that know about Adam and killing off the Angels before Adam can hand out souls for them
5.) Things go WAY wrong, the Angels get souls and Adam blows up knocking the planet off it's axis and all sorts of other bad stuff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:IMO, there's something else needed besides "SoL goes to planet, spreads life, gleefully leaves.
There's not much to suggest that the SoLs leave at all. In fact, going by Lilith's behaviour, it seems as though they remain forever on their new world.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:NEW THEORY: An Impact is the prelude to the creation of a new race, and a "formatting" of sorts for the planet for that race to inhabit.

This explains the AATF that wipes out all existing life and "resets" things so that the Seed can create things from scratch as they need them to be for the new race.

Like the Genesis Device in Star Trek II.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:A SoL must have both the FoK and FoL to initiate an Impact and create new life.
This doesn't seem correct. ADOs are said to have the fruit of Life, LDO the fruit of knowladge. It does not seem likely that the SoLs had the others fruit typre if you will. Truely Adam and Lilith are indeed apple and orange. With this in mind, it seems only a large source of energy, the S^2 organ, is needed for the massive "Genesis Device" AATF. But even this is suspect as Lilith may not have an S^2 organ.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:This comes from Misato's explanation of how Humans and Angels are the same, and that Angels are simply "Humans who gave up Human form". They made a choice, and chose the FoL. So it only goes to reason that humans "chose" the FoK. It seems logical that once a Seeds' offspring has made the choice, the other fruit is no longer necessary and is "discarded" perhaps.
Perhaps it is the SoL itself that made this choice, not its offspring. For example, perhaps Yui makes this choice upon her ascention. Or perhaps Misato is literally referring to the appearance of the Angels, given that both Adam and Lilith are roughly human shaped, but the Angels in the main are not.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:EW THEORY 2: The Lance/Tol is the medium through which the Seeds are able to create a new life form and also the "control rod" for the Seeds post-Impact.
This would make some sense for ADOs, and would explain Adam's state, however there's no indication that Lilith required such a drastic event at all. Indeed, LDO based life seems to take a much slower, evolution based approach to the creation of life, via the enviornment provided by LCL.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:A: The formatting for a planet which creates an AATF that wipes out existing life
B: Re-formats depending on the new race and what they need to live.
C: Creates the new life with the Seed/Lance-ToL combination.
D: Wipes out the Seed (in a sense).

The process of events you describe cannot be said to have certainly occurred in either First or Second Impact. Lilith was certainly not wiped out, and it's not clear that Adam even used the Lance during second Impact. The events you describe occur during, Thrid Impact with created something totally new, i.e. a new SoL.

I don't believe that the Lance is involved in regular "one fruit" impacts. In fact, it's not clear that it is even required for complementation. However there's a good chance that it is required for new SoL creation.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:All powerful? Hardly! You're discounting the amout of power that crash would intail.

It seems unlikely that if the Black Moon itself with Lilith inside could survive the impact, that the Lance presumably within would also be destroyed. More likely is the idea that Lilith never had a Lance at all, it's method of "Seeding" planets being a much slower and more placid affair, not requiring ominous control/security devices etc.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Though an (off-topic) question comes to my mind: just how much of Yui's plan did Fuyutsuki know? The main idea ("I'll become a smexy beast so I can evenutally float out all alone in space with a giant fork for company!") or the specifics of it?

The flashback of the scene by the lake shown in the End of Evangelion seems to suggest that Fuyutsuki was aware of Yui's general idea here. This fact, along with his efforts to avert complementation, suggests he knew what was in store for Yui after Third Impact petered out and she drifted away. However, what Gendou knew of this, or his opinions on it are unclear at this time.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I still don't think it answers the question of whether or not the Angels were alive before 2I happened or not. Yeah, their "awakening" is mentioned, but nothing else. Can we automatically infer from that the Angels were already on Earth before 2I occurred? If that's so, then why were they never awakened before 2I?

Perhaps Adam had not yet begun the process of creating the Angels at all until it was awoken by the Katsuragi expedition? Perhaos it was still dormant for gathering energy for some reason, but would inevitably waken at some point, which neccessitated SEELEs premature initiation of Second Impact?

As to the Angel's, my opinion is that they were in fact created during Second Impact, and not before, but that is a matter for another thread.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:01 pm

I failed in my attempt to stay away. This stuff is like crack. :oops:

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Oh, but there is.
NGE2 CI wrote:15. Angel

D. In-Depth Information

Two Seeds of Life cannot exist on one planet, and, therefore, one of them is excluded. As recorded in the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls, Adam-based life took part in a contest of survival, putting the stakes on their own existence. Some of them were trying to access Lilith and reset all life, some of them had nothing in mind, and some were trying to recover their progenitor Adam. The Angels -- Adam-based life -- became active under their respective tactics for survival and success.
I'm wondering if you and I aren't talking about two different things.

I asked: "How did Adam's Lance end up in vim?"

You replied: "Because there is some BS in the SDSS about a "contest of survival if 2 Seeds land on the same planet. Can't have a contest to see who is more worthy if you don't have 2 kinds of humans alive and stuff."

I replied: That's an old, old theory. Widely thought to be debunked now, but perhaps some still believe in it. But there's absolutely nothing in the canon of NGE that supports the myth.

You replied with this.

So, are you saying that this which you posted supports the theory that there was a DUEL OF THE SEEDS and THAT'S how the Lance ended up inside Adam?

This, IMO, doesn't support that at all. For one thing, it just mentions "Adam-based life" (Lilith is not Adam based). And this seems to be dealing with the Angels' intentions in NGE.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
It goes something like this:
1.) SEELE finds the SDSS and in-turn learns of the impending contest and sets out to prevent this while gathering what they need to atain their "godhood"
2.) They find Adam and start their studies on the key to godhood while ploting a way to get rid of those that would threaten their plans
3.) They do some funny processing on the Spear to make sure Adam gets turned into an egg while they kill their competition off
4.) They set Katsuragi up "the bomb" in theory simotaniously getting rid of those that know about Adam and killing off the Angels before Adam can hand out souls for them
5.) Things go WAY wrong, the Angels get souls and Adam blows up knocking the planet off it's axis and all sorts of other bad stuff
1. This makes sense, but not specific.
2. This makes sense, but not specific.
3. This doesn't really make sense and isn't specific at all (funny processing on the Lance? Lolwut?
4. Not sure what you're saying here, but you seem to imply they set the Dr. Kat team up to be their 2I guinea pig. The "Adam handing out souls to the Angels" is what I want to clear up. Before 2I where were the Angels? Why didn't they have souls? What happened during 2I that allowed Adam to give them souls?
5. Makes sense but still not specifc.

The problem with the Impacts, the Seeds, the Lance, the entire ordeal about A/LDO and how they come to be is it's all very VAGUE. I'm trying to clear up the vagueness, and I'd like some help in that area rather than reiterating the vagueness of it all.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:54 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
There's not much to suggest that the SoLs leave at all. In fact, going by Lilith's behaviour, it seems as though they remain forever on their new world.
Well, there may be an alternative reason for that... Please excuse the vagueness of that statement but I'm still formulating a rather large amount of new ideas in my head.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
This doesn't seem correct. ADOs are said to have the fruit of Life, LDO the fruit of knowladge. It does not seem likely that the SoLs had the others fruit typre if you will. Truely Adam and Lilith are indeed apple and orange. With this in mind, it seems only a large source of energy, the S^2 organ, is needed for the massive "Genesis Device" AATF. But even this is suspect as Lilith may not have an S^2 organ.
The reason I said this is that the Fruit Combination (FC for short) seems crucial in 3I. IMO, it seems to be crucial in 2I too.

Right now I'm assuming that Lilith intrinsically has the FoK and Adam intrinsically has the FoL:

Adam lay dormant in Antarctica for God knows how long. Why? The Lance was in vim, yes, and we don't yet know why. But going on the quote in 21' it would seem to me that the Lance was already inside Adam at the time of vis awakening ("Pull the Lance back!").

So was it really the Lance keeping vim from waking up? What woke Adam up was, IMO, the CE. The fusion of a human soul with the FoL into a being with the FoK. Now all of a sudden you have a being with both Fruits that's able to create life (the angels), format the planet (2I), and everything.

It probably would've worked too had it not been for the Lance that was already stuck inside vim. IMO, it's the Lance that significantly cut the process short. I'm not entirely sure how, but I'm working on it.

Flash forward to 3I. We end up with not one, but two beings in Lilith and Sho with the FC. Not only that, but if only one fruit was needed to create life, I don't think all the talk regarding the importance of having both throughout the series would've happened.

This theory is still in its developmental stages though. I'm definitely going to have to work out some kinks though. Call it a working hypothesis at the moment.

Perhaps it is the SoL itself that made this choice, not its offspring. For example, perhaps Yui makes this choice upon her ascention. Or perhaps Misato is literally referring to the appearance of the Angels, given that both Adam and Lilith are roughly human shaped, but the Angels in the main are not.
I really don't know. Once again, another working hypothesis. But I will say that I don't think Yui played as much of a roll in 3I as some think (once again, sorry for the vagueness.)

This would make some sense for ADOs, and would explain Adam's state, however there's no indication that Lilith required such a drastic event at all. Indeed, LDO based life seems to take a much slower, evolution based approach to the creation of life, via the enviornment provided by LCL.
Yeah, that's the one kink in the theory. The entire problem with this is the idea that anything we can invision Lilith doing to create LDO in the beginning doesn't seem to fit when we consider what happened during the creation of ADO during 2I and LDO again during 3I.

The process of events you describe cannot be said to have certainly occurred in either First or Second Impact. Lilith was certainly not wiped out, and it's not clear that Adam even used the Lance during second Impact. The events you describe occur during, Thrid Impact with created something totally new, i.e. a new SoL.
When I say "wiped out" I didn't mean in a "gone forever" sense. Think of it like "wiped out" in the how Adam was wiped out sense. I was thinking of it more in that perhaps after creating a new lifeform the uber-being is then reduced to something similar to Adam, and has to take time to regenerate. You bring up Lilith, but in all reality, we don't know what happened to Lilith after she created Lilim.

You bring up an interesting point about 3I creating a new SoL in Yui. "How" though is the question. She already had the FC - so was it her contact with the Lance that turned her into a newly formed SoL?

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I don't believe that the Lance is involved in regular "one fruit" impacts. In fact, it's not clear that it is even required for complementation. However there's a good chance that it is required for new SoL creation.
The Lance is definitely a part of Instrumentality. It was certainly apart of Seele's O3I plans and even in A3I it plays a role in the form of the Eva series. Notice how when they impale themselves how the souls on Earth start to head towards the Black Moon? Now what exactly that means, I don't know.

I wonder if the Lance's role in a SoL creation is to imbue the being's Guf with souls. Remember my referring to the Lance and ToL being connected: I wonder if the Lance "penetrating" Sho/Yui is indication that it's "injecting" her with souls the same way Adam and Lilith have access to souls.

It seems unlikely that if the Black Moon itself with Lilith inside could survive the impact, that the Lance presumably within would also be destroyed. More likely is the idea that Lilith never had a Lance at all, it's method of "Seeding" planets being a much slower and more placid affair, not requiring ominous control/security devices etc.
I hate bringing up outside sources (CI), but that seems to be all we have to go on that subject. I think it states something like Lilith's lance was either lost or "possibly" broken with the Black Moon's crash into Earth.

This still doesn't make sense to me, because the Lance, especially in EoE, seems like a sentient thing. For it to become "lost" is weird. For it to be broken though is even more harder to believe though.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Perhaps Adam had not yet begun the process of creating the Angels at all until it was awoken by the Katsuragi expedition? Perhaos it was still dormant for gathering energy for some reason, but would inevitably waken at some point, which neccessitated SEELEs premature initiation of Second Impact?

As to the Angel's, my opinion is that they were in fact created during Second Impact, and not before, but that is a matter for another thread.
I think a better question is why the hell was the Lance found stuck in Adam in the first place? This makes absolutely NO sense to me. Surely all Seeds don't come impaled on their own Lance like that...
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:This, IMO, doesn't support that at all. For one thing, it just mentions "Adam-based life" (Lilith is not Adam based). And this seems to be dealing with the Angels' intentions in NGE.

So the stuff about 2 Seeds existing on the same planet means nothing? To me it's fairly straight forward thanks to a funny little fanwank of Reichu's about a handicap being imposed on Adam so there could be a legit contest to see which humans were worthy of the FAR's cause. I''ll dig it up later...

3. This doesn't really make sense and isn't specific at all (funny processing on the Lance? Lolwut?

Don't look at me.
ep #21' wrote:OLD MAN C:
What about the Spear of Longinus?

MAN A:
It's still where it was brought ashore after arriving from the Dead Sea last week.

OLD MAN B:
Isn't some processing necessary before it's taken underground? Will it be okay?

Perhaps some reprograming to get it to do what that want? The CI said the SDSS were basicly a "how to" guide to use the Spear and stuff.

4. Not sure what you're saying here, but you seem to imply they set the Dr. Kat team up to be their 2I guinea pig. The "Adam handing out souls to the Angels" is what I want to clear up. Before 2I where were the Angels? Why didn't they have souls? What happened during 2I that allowed Adam to give them souls?

Kaworu lacked a soul when the egg was found so extend this to the other Angels and you have Adam giving birth and before the Chamber of Guf is opened Lilith crashes, the Spear does it's funny voodoo and bingo, you have soulless lumps of flesh sitting there until Adam opens the Chamber during 2I.

I hope that cleared things up...

EDIT
So was it really the Lance keeping vim from waking up? What woke Adam up was, IMO, the CE.

The CE for some reason jump started the S^2 organ, but the Spear was used to try to reseal her, instead it sunk in and reverted her to and egg, see above.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
So the stuff about 2 Seeds existing on the same planet means nothing?
No, it means something - it means two Seeds can't exist on the same planet. But jumping from THAT to "OMG, that must mean Lilith and Adam had a MIGHTY DUEL TO THE DEATH!" isn't correct either.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:To me it's fairly straight forward thanks to a funny little fanwank of Reichu's about a handicap being imposed on Adam so there could be a legit contest to see which humans were worthy of the FAR's cause. I''ll dig it up later...
I still don't like this DotS thing. You're basically taking two things:

"Two Seeds can't exist on the same Planet" and the knowledge that Adam was found with the Lance in him and making a giganto leap to the conclusion that there was a Duel between Adam and Lilith that ended in Adam losing.

I don't like it. At least I'm trying to use the canon of the actual show to prove my theories (however unsuccessfully).

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
Don't look at me.
ep #21' wrote:OLD MAN C:
What about the Spear of Longinus?

MAN A:
It's still where it was brought ashore after arriving from the Dead Sea last week.

OLD MAN B:
Isn't some processing necessary before it's taken underground? Will it be okay?

Perhaps some reprograming to get it to do what that want? The CI said the SDSS were basicly a "how to" guide to use the Spear and stuff.
But once again, I don't think we can take one vague quote and jump to a radical conclusion that they did some magical processing that used the Lance to turn Adam into an embry.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
Kaworu lacked a soul when the egg was found so extend this to the other Angels and you have Adam giving birth and before the Chamber of Guf is opened Lilith crashes, the Spear does it's funny voodoo and bingo, you have soulless lumps of flesh sitting there until Adam opens the Chamber during 2I.

I hope that cleared things up...
And you got all of this from where?

"Adam had the Earth all ready to go for the Angels... had the little bastards birthed and everything. But then a funny thing happened on the way to the Chamber of Guf and a giant Moon fell outta the sky and Lilith crashed the party. Not only that but the Lance for some *mysterious* reason decides to impale Adam and stop the process short of completion until 2I when Adam's able to release their souls via the CoG."

Seems like a lot of reaching to me...

BTW, what are you talking about in regards to "Kaworu lacked a soul when the egg was found"?

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
EDIT
The CE for some reason jump started the S^2 organ, but the Spear was used to try to reseal her, instead it sunk in and reverted her to and egg, see above.
I wonder if the CE jump started the S2 or if the CE jump started Adam who activated the S2 to finish what ve started.

Still, the whole mechanics of the Lance's involvements are a bit sketchy. I tend to agree that it definitely had something to do with cutting 2I short and likely reducing Adam to an embryo. But the whys and hows are anything but clear.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:10 pm

I'm sure Zugzwang could figure all of this out. Where is he when we really need him?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I still don't like this DotS thing.

I'm not talking about that. What I'm saying is, if by some odd chance 2 Seeds end up on the same planet their offspring have this little contest to see who is more worthy. Can't just say LOL SUCKS TO BE YOU, no that would be too simple. They've got to be convoluted little bastards. The rest of the BS that happened afterwards becomes clearer, however demented if one accepts this.
[URL=http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59471#59471]Reichu fanwank[/URL], just for kicks.

"Adam had the Earth all ready to go for the Angels... had the little bastards birthed and everything. But then a funny thing happened on the way to the Chamber of Guf and a giant Moon fell outta the sky and Lilith crashed the party. Not only that but the Lance for some *mysterious* reason decides to impale Adam and stop the process short of completion until 2I when Adam's able to release their souls via the CoG."

Seems like a lot of reaching to me...

It's the only thing that makes any sense given all the information we have, however odd the chain of events seems. But Earth was hardly ready to go at that point.

BTW, what are you talking about in regards to "Kaworu lacked a soul when the egg was found"?

ep #24' wrote:??:
And Adam, the progenitor of the Angels
who are the true successors from the lost White Moon.

??:
Who's salvaged soul exists only within you.

You don't salvage a soul into someone that already has one. The Evas also lack souls to start with, might this be a hint as to how it works for Adam?
Last edited by Anonymous_Evafan on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:

ep #24' wrote:??:
And Adam, the progenitor of the Angels
who are the true successors from the lost White Moon.

??:
Who's salvaged soul exists only within you.

You don't salvage a soul into someone that already has one. The Evas also lack souls to start with, might this be a hint as to how it works for Adam?

Does this mean that the moment 2I started/ended, whatever was salvaged from Adam was unified with a lilum body(Kaworu)?

I never understood the reason for keeping the souls of Adam and Lilith in lilum bodies... was it to tame/confuse them?
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 am

Opteron-O3 wrote:I never understood the reason for keeping the souls of Adam and Lilith in lilum bodies... was it to tame/confuse them?

Probably more like trying to tame/confuse the fanwankers :wink: just kidding, I love you guys....[cartman voice]ahhh, screw you guys[/cartman voice]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:17 am

Eva Yojimbo, if you ever feel "exceedingly bored", there is an uber-ton of groundwork discussion on all of this crap on ANF. (Search Tool, etc., etc.) AEF et al.'s attempts to bring you up to speed only seem to be confusing matters. Reading up on what's been done might be of some use/interest to you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”