Timeline of Eva creation & contact experiments

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Timeline of Eva creation & contact experiments

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 pm

My confusion over this is mostly over the order the eva's were created in, and the order that their contact experiments take place.

As I understand it, when Fuyutski joined, unit 00 was in the early stages of construction, then somehow, a few years later, unit 01 is completed and the contact experiment takes place, ending in Yui's disapearance.

Around the same time, unit 02 is completed and Kyoko performs the contact experiment.

Flash forward 10 years later, Unit 00 has a synch test with Rei. Two weeks or so after that Shinji arrives.

A quote I remember from episode 2? or maybe 3 seemed to relate to this. This is before we have Sound Only Seele members, but the Committee.

quote: something something repair costs for unit 01, plus the development costs for unit 00 are astronomical.

I suppose it could be explained as such, unit 00 had no contact experiment because it was a prototype, and unit 01 and 02 were completed a few years after unit 00 was completed. But, if thats the case, what the hell was NERV doing for the next TEN YEARS????

at the start of episode 01 it seems that both unit 00 and unit 01 had each only been activated once, each time resulting in catastrophe.

Hmm, I suppose by writing this I've answered most of my own questions, but this had been bothering me all day.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Note that having a CE performed does not imply a completed Eva.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 pm

hmm, you've got a point there. I suppose I must have just "imagined" a completed unit 01 on the other side of the glass in that episode. I looked again and its not there.

edit: kinda like how when characters have flashbacks to certain scenes, the way they remember it is often different than the way it was a few episodes prior. creepy.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: wtf timeline on eva creation

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:46 pm

slothen wrote:My confusion over this is mostly over the order the eva's were created in, and the order that their contact experiments take place.

As I understand it, when Fuyutski joined, unit 00 was in the early stages of construction, then somehow, a few years later, unit 01 is completed and the contact experiment takes place, ending in Yui's disapearance.

Around the same time, unit 02 is completed and Kyoko performs the contact experiment.

Flash forward 10 years later, Unit 00 has a synch test with Rei. Two weeks or so after that Shinji arrives.

A quote I remember from episode 2? or maybe 3 seemed to relate to this. This is before we have Sound Only Seele members, but the Committee.

I suppose it could be explained as such, unit 00 had no contact experiment because it was a prototype, and unit 01 and 02 were completed a few years after unit 00 was completed. But, if thats the case, what the hell was NERV doing for the next TEN YEARS????
Waiting for the Angels to begin their assaults maybe?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:48 am

I don't think that Eva 01 and 02 where "complete" at all, they were just partially constructed.

We're not entirely sure when Eva 00 was even completed:

The Eva prototype that Fuytusuki saw was actually one of several "Failed" Evas; notice it has 5 eyes to Zero's single eye, etc. etc.

Still, the point is made: what have they been doing for the roughly ten years since Asuka and Shinji's mothers were taken away?

Hmmmm well part of the problem is like, if Eva 02 is "the Production Model; it fixed a lot of the mistakes made creating 00 and 01"....00 was only functional with Rei within the past what, year?

How much could they significantly have improved Eva 02 in that time period?

Of course, I think the improvements were based on the UNFINISHED 00....probably lots of technical stuff like circuit controls and startup time, etc. etc. "under the hood" fixes.

But yeah, I think there's a difference between "we have a live bio-mechanical organism" and "we have a functional Eva" and it probably took time to do that.

I mean Eva 00 when it goes berserk isn't exactly usable, but it is kind of "alive".
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:27 am

V wrote:I don't think that Eva 01 and 02 where "complete" at all, they were just partially constructed.

Since the Evas are alive and all, "partially constructed" is rather confusing terminology to use.

The Eva prototype that Fuytusuki saw was actually one of several "Failed" Evas; notice it has 5 eyes to Zero's single eye, etc. etc.

Those are technically just 'cameras'.

I mean Eva 00 when it goes berserk isn't exactly usable, but it is kind of "alive".

...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 am

The living organic clone of Adam "Eva" unit is alive and has a soul imprinted on it, but it might still be years before they add in all of the biomechanical parts and control circuitry, etc. That's what I mean.

They were cameras?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 pm

The one in epoisode 23 was a mock-up, all it really was was the cybernetic implants they planned on using on the Evas when they were complete. Why you do such a thing is beyond me, but whatever. Also, logicly EVA-01 was still connected to Lilith, seeing as Rei got Lilith's soul during the salvage op, thus was not complete.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:31 pm

V wrote:They were cameras?

Yes:
Notice how it says "Camera:1". Now, I don't know why these are "cameras" as opposed to whatever armor/lens/camera that are on Evas 00-04, since they do have eyes.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Maybe the cameras were used to pipe visual information in to the entry plug for the pilot, while the Eva used its eyes to see what was going on.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 pm

maybe they are special laser cannons like in gunbuster. Cuz thats what they look like.

On a serious note... AEF, do you mean connected like I've seen in that picture somewhere(lilith and unit 01 at opposite ends of the cross), and the contact experiment was performed under those circumstances? Also, someone must have gone through and killed off the NERV staff except for Gendou Ritsuko and Fuyutski, because then Maya wouldn't be wondering about "restraints," she would already have known.

MAL Profile

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Let's review the facts:
1.) The RCB says Rei was an unintended by-product of that salvage op
2.) Ritsuko says Rei was born with a soul
So this leaves us with the question of how the hell did Lilith's soul end up in Rei with the obvious answer being EVA-01 was still attached to Lilith at that point. Also note the room Ritsuko says Rei was "born in", rather close to the Eva graveyard where it looks like Lilith was during EVA-01's birth.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:19 pm

maybe Rei aquired Liliths soul after the older Dr. Akagi (i forget her 1st name) choked Rei as a child. maybe Dr. Akagi kiiled her, and Gendo put Liliths soul into her body.
and Rei's personality changes a lot after that (or it could be the 10 years of confinement at Nerv).

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Rei I is part of the Rei-collective.
Also see episode 25. This indicates she also possessed Lilith's soul.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:46 pm

Something always got to my attention and I'm glad this thread made me remember...

As they've stated earlier in the thread that Eva-00 did not contain a soul or was not involved in a contact experiment. What soul did it contain? Rei/Lilith soul?

And to the poster. Eva-01 first test wasn't until Shinji got there correct? So I'm guessing they just tested the Unit 00 and just made records of their mistakes and improved it on Unit 01. But Unit 02 was already in production too... so... they were probably doing electrical to Eva control and start up experiments and just made improved variants. But the actual sync tests didn't start until CE? or until they got their pilots.

That's what I think with my little knowledge in the technicalities in Eva. But I bet someone with better knowledge will know better.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:09 pm

EVA-00 had a soul as is evident by Shinji synching with it. Who's it is and when it got it is a matter of much debate, I'd recomend the search function for looking up the threads, Who's soul is in EVA-00" would be a good starting point.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:maybe Rei aquired Liliths soul after the older Dr. Akagi (i forget her 1st name) choked Rei as a child. maybe Dr. Akagi kiiled her, and Gendo put Liliths soul into her body.
and Rei's personality changes a lot after that (or it could be the 10 years of confinement at Nerv).

I don't think so.

MAL Profile

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Let's review the facts:
1.) The RCB says Rei was an unintended by-product of that salvage op
2.) Ritsuko says Rei was born with a soul
So this leaves us with the question of how the hell did Lilith's soul end up in Rei with the obvious answer being EVA-01 was still attached to Lilith at that point. Also note the room Ritsuko says Rei was "born in", rather close to the Eva graveyard where it looks like Lilith was during EVA-01's birth.

Yeah. Much to think about.

Of course, this is why Eva is STILL being discussed today; there's a lot they only hinted at.

I.e. the maddening one-frame shot of Eva 01...being..."birthed"/tearing off of Lilith. Apparently not how most Evas are made.

But yeah....one day I"m going to sit down and try to figure out "what the heck was going on with Eva 00's soul"

Briefly, I do think that it had "a soul" of some sort. Similarly the other EVas probably just have souls from "wherever" i.e. its implied that every member of Shinji's class doesn't have a mother and I think they use their mother's souls, i.e. Toji's mothers' soul is in Eva-03, etc etc that seems logical; but Rei has no mother so we dunno. So it probably HAS a soul, but I don't agree with the theory that it is a soul of a previous Rei. Stupid as it sounds I always kind of agreed with the "It's Naoko" theory just because they drop hints that there is some "significance" to 00's soul when it goes berserk.

(shrug)

Well more on that later; I kind of hope Rebuild addresses this.

Really....we never definately figured out "what the heck are Kaworu and Rei?" (that is, how can Kaworu be both the vessel of Adam's soul and the last Angel in his own right)

Yeah...they really left the exact nature of how they build the Evas a mystery.

Still....wait, those are cameras? well it says camera. But does Eva 00 have cameras too?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 pm

V wrote:Well more on that later; I kind of hope Rebuild addresses this.

Separate canon = not directly applicable to original series.

how can Kaworu be both the vessel of Adam's soul and the last Angel in his own right

The vessel is a Adam/Lilim hybrid conceived as a result of the Contact Experiment, into which Adam's soul was later 'salvaged'. Why shouldn't they count it as an "Angel" if they want to? ;;p

Still....wait, those are cameras? well it says camera. But does Eva 00 have cameras too?

They all have cameras that transmit visual feed to the entry plug. Never actually specified what/where they are, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Yeah but I mean you said the red things were cameras (yeah I did always assume there are tiny cameras all over it for the pilot)

The vessel is a Adam/Lilim hybrid conceived as a result of the Contact Experiment, into which Adam's soul was later 'salvaged'. Why shouldn't they count it as an "Angel" if they want to? ;;p

WEll the problem with that is that Rei is NOT considered an Angel, but she is essentially the same thing.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”