[MANGA] [NGE] Manga's couple: Rei and Shinji?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

[NGE] Manga's couple: Rei and Shinji?

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Does anyone think that Rei and Shinji are the couple in the manga? While Shinji has had interests with Asuka (Wow! She looks like a movie star) and Rei (holding hands), didn't Shinji already say his feelings with, "The gap has strunk between us. I hope it will strink more." I think it means he likes her. Also in Stage 76, Shinji asks for Asuka and Mistaos help and they don't give him any. But, the thing that makes Shinji cry, is when Rei doesn't help him.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:32 pm

It seems that way right now. Sadamoto deepened Shinji's relationship with Rei and deminished his relationship with Asuka. I hope he doesn't pull a 180 at the end like there seem to be slight indications of. If Shinji and Asuka end up on the beach together that would be the worst story telling in history.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:It seems that way right now. Sadamoto deepened Shinji's relationship with Rei and deminished his relationship with Asuka. I hope he doesn't pull a 180 at the end like there seem to be slight indications of. If Shinji and Asuka end up on the beach together that would be the worst story telling in history.

Just like Anno did in the anime. I don't think Sadamoto will pull something like that, but he still needs to adress if they're related.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:02 pm

There were little things in the anime, the OP and episodes 9, 10, 11, 15, and 22 specifically, that showed there was something there. Funny enough this was most of the content cut out of the manga. Making such changes and still sticking Asuka and Shinji together at the end would be horrible story telling on the highest order.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:04 pm

The Goose wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:It seems that way right now. Sadamoto deepened Shinji's relationship with Rei and deminished his relationship with Asuka. I hope he doesn't pull a 180 at the end like there seem to be slight indications of. If Shinji and Asuka end up on the beach together that would be the worst story telling in history.

Just like Anno did in the anime. I don't think Sadamoto will pull something like that, but he still needs to adress if they're related.

Nah, I don't think Anno pulled a 180 in the series. Rei and Shinji were far from romantic love, especially when compared to Asuka and Shinji, who had feeling for each other but fails to communicate at every turn due to their personalities.

That said, I'm wonder how Rei/Shinji in the manga will ultimately work out. The relationship took a step backwards after Rei died from self-destructing, and don't forget the fact the Rei cannot keep her body intact without medicine from Ritsuko, which makes the "happy romantic ending" very hard to achieve. Something will definitely happen, of course, and it won't involve Asuka, if Sadamoto is balanced.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:26 pm

I didn't mean that Anno did a 180, I meant that Anno had made Asuka and Shinji's relationship deeper than Shinji's relationship with Rei. Sadamoto did the opposite.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:There were little things in the anime, the OP and episodes 9, 10, 11, 15, and 22 specifically, that showed there was something there. Funny enough this was most of the content cut out of the manga. Making such changes and still sticking Asuka and Shinji together at the end would be horrible story telling on the highest order.

Out of curiosity, are you one of the people that think Shuffle!'s ending sucks? (Not saying that Shuffle! was bad story telling at all)

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:41 pm

The Goose wrote:I didn't mean that Anno did a 180, I meant that Anno had made Asuka and Shinji's relationship deeper than Shinji's relationship with Rei. Sadamoto did the opposite.

Ah, clarification is good! Yes, the manga seems to be a polar oppisite of the anime in many reguards.

Ornette wrote:Out of curiosity, are you one of the people that think Shuffle!'s ending sucks?

Can't say that I've seen it. If it has a nonsensical 180 going against all previously given information for no apparent reason then I'd say yes.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 pm

A true 180 would be if Shinji runs off with Pen-Pen.

Anyway, when Asuka was going to kiss Shinji during the blackout, and then they ended up backing out, IMO that was basically Sadamoto saying "Suck it AxS fanboys, LOL!" :cry:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:05 am

oh how true that stood for me...
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:42 am

As a half-dedicated RxSer, i'm sure you can figure out where I stand on this <.<
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:16 am

If Sadamoto wanted Shinji and Rei to live happily ever after, then why did he opt to kill Rei 2 and make Rei the carrier of Lilith's soul?

That's just setting things up for failure.

Maybe -- GASP -- Shinji will end up SINGLE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:35 am

Reichu wrote:Maybe -- GASP -- Shinji will end up SINGLE.

Well, given that he doesn't even get to keep a rendezvous with his right hand in the manga, you could be on to something.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:39 am

Reichu wrote:If Sadamoto wanted Shinji and Rei to live happily ever after, then why did he opt to kill Rei 2 and make Rei the carrier of Lilith's soul?

Actually, I think theres been only three clues that show Rei could be Lilith. Kaworu telling they were the same was one and this scene:

Gendo: The Lance of Longinus and the most esstiental part were all missing.

(Kouzo looks at Rei)

Gendo: Lilith's imperfect heart.

And Rei's A.T. field being the strongest. Though if Sadamoto wanted Rei to be Lilith, wouldn't he put more evidence than this. Even his take on Rei's introspection didn't clear this up.

Also Sadamoto has been known to be a romantic, but, then again, romances can still end in tragedy.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 am

The Goose wrote:
Reichu wrote:If Sadamoto wanted Shinji and Rei to live happily ever after, then why did he opt to kill Rei 2 and make Rei the carrier of Lilith's soul?

Actually, I think theres been only three clues that show Rei could be Lilith. Kaworu telling they were the same was one and this scene:

Gendo: The Lance of Longinus and the most esstiental part were all missing.

(Kouzo looks at Rei)

Gendo: Lilith's imperfect heart.

And Rei's A.T. field being the strongest. Though if Sadamoto wanted Rei to be Lilith, wouldn't he put more evidence than this. Even his take on Rei's introspection didn't clear this up.

Also Sadamoto has been known to be a romantic, but, then again, romances can still end in tragedy.

Episode 26', Don't forget "I'm home", "Welcome Home"

Episode 6, "It's a bond, to all people"

Episode 1's mystery Rei among all of her eccentricities that make her completely unique from every other lilum in the show

Her constant introspection about who she really is, along with the "dark part of your heart inside you" in 25.

The paralleling of her and Kaworu throughout instrumentality

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:44 am

That would be an awful waste of everything he's set in place.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 am

Ornette wrote:Episode 26', Don't forget "I'm home", "Welcome Home" <snip>

In the manga, not the anime.

Not that I think there's any question what Sadamoto's doing there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:06 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:

That would be an awful waste of everything he's set in place.

It would make sense if Shinji finally learned to live and didn't want to be alone. With everyone gone, along with Rei, he would end up alone. It would be ironic.

In the manga, not the anime.

Not that I think there's any question what Sadamoto's doing there.

Eblaorate and explain. Anno set up a lot of clues that point to the truth. Sadamoto has only given (from what I've seen) three clues. If Rei were Lilith, the only real point to it would be serve irony. Rei, the person who always says shes a human being, finally finds out its not true.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 am

God, I hope so...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Ornette wrote:Episode 1's mystery Rei among all of her eccentricities that make her completely unique from every other Lilim in the show

FYI: It's Rei III that appears in episode 1 (in the street) and 26' (floating above the LCL Sea).

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:There were little things in the anime, the OP and episodes 9, 10, 11, 15, and 22 specifically, that showed there was something there. Funny enough this was most of the content cut out of the manga. Making such changes and still sticking Asuka and Shinji together at the end would be horrible story telling on the highest order.

QFT.

Reichu wrote: Maybe -- GASP -- Shinji will end up SINGLE.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Last B. (Or something with R/S. Can't wait to see how THAT would work out with Rei=Lilith and having Yui's DNA.... /sarcasm)

The Goose wrote:If Rei were Lilith, the only real point to it would be serve irony. Rei, the person who always says shes a human being, finally finds out its not true.

Oh dear.... :roll: Rei IS Lilith, and ALL the Lilim (Humans born from Lilith) are Angels, as well. Hence the whole "We are the 18th Angel" bit.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”