Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:33 pm

As above, I'm messing around with live site code right now, so excuse the occasional brief hiccup but let me know about any wackiness that persists even when you try again like 30 seconds later.

EDIT 2016-10-08: Forgot to ever say I finished, but it's just as well, cuz I'm doing the same thing again now.

EDIT: Okay done.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Now working on the notification bug. Pardon any brief interruptions in service.

EDIT: Done for tonight.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 pm

We're having problems. I go to the serious discussion forum and I click the newest updates, and I get this message.

No route found for "GET /2016-US-Election-General/980/"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:10 pm

I've been getting random SQL errors. Occasionally, clicking a link to a topic bounces me back to the frontpage no matter what forum it's in.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Some of these are the results of me trying to fix the long-standing notification bug. I've been working on it for the past few nights. The one that takes you back to the index page happens to me too and it remains even after I revert the code and clear the cache, so I'm still trying to figure out what exactly causes that.

EDIT: The random PHP parse errors are me typoing.
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:31 pm

Edit: Spoke too soon. :(
System Administrator

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Sometimes when I click on a link within the forum from a thread, it just refreshes the page on the first click. I have to click it again for it to work, though it always works the second time. Weird.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:56 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Sometimes when I click on a link within the forum from a thread, it just refreshes the page on the first click. I have to click it again for it to work, though it always works the second time. Weird.

How long ago was the last time? We used to have a bug, fixed within the last few days, where clicking on a notification to go to an unread post brought you to a version of the page where every link was actually a link back to the page itself, causing the appearance that clicking on any link refreshes the page but only once. I've not encountered the problem since I implemented my fix, but perhaps you're using some feature I haven't tried yet since implementing the fix.
System Administrator

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:How long ago was the last time? We used to have a bug, fixed within the last few days, where clicking on a notification to go to an unread post brought you to a version of the page where every link was actually a link back to the page itself, causing the appearance that clicking on any link refreshes the page but only once. I've not encountered the problem since I implemented my fix, but perhaps you're using some feature I haven't tried yet since implementing the fix.

As it happens, just now as I went to quote you. It doesn't seem to matter what computer I use either- I used EGF at college and it was still doing it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:46 pm

What was the last click you made before the click that refreshed the page? Which I assume is the same as asking, how did you enter the topic before you quoted me?
System Administrator

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:55 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What was the last click you made before the click that refreshed the page? Which I assume is the same as asking, how did you enter the topic before you quoted me?

I entered the topic via the News and Feedback subforum IIRC.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Do you remember which button/icon/etc you clicked to enter the topic?
System Administrator

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:22 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Do you remember which button/icon/etc you clicked to enter the topic?

I seem to recall I clicked on the "view latest post" button.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:58 pm

It seems to work normally for me, so my next best guess is that perhaps your browser cached something. Depending on how valuable your cache is to you and what browser you have, there's different levels of cache-clearing you can do to see if that's the cause. For example in Firefox, if you go to your history sidebar (ctrl+H), you can right click on an EGF link and select "forget this site" to clear all usage data related to it. That'll clear the cache for that site but also the saved passwords for it, but it's the next least-invasive step down from clearing the same from ALL the sites in your browser's memory.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:42 pm

No route found for "GET /thread/102/Whos-your-favorite-Eva-character/forum.evageeks.org/thread/102/Whos-your-favorite-Eva-character/"

Huh. Search function doesn't much like that thread for some reason.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Whoops... That's a side-effect of the last-resort core code hack I shoved into the site code to get the damn mod quicktools at least kinda working again. You'll notice that the URL looks quite odd if you look closely.

Search is pretty darn important for the userbase so I'm unfortunately gonna go re-break those mod tools again. Sorry.
System Administrator

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:53 am

It looked like something was notifying Me. But when I clicked on the notification it kept redirecting me to the front page. Then it just disappeared

Weird.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Do you remember what it was a notification of? That would give me a clue as to what might have happened.
System Administrator

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 pm

When I try to get on the site on my favorites tab (I use Chrome for the most part), it can't access it saying the connection is refused. I have to go to a cached version and click few times before I can get on. What's happening?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 am

Does the URL for the favorited version of the site start with "http://" or "https://"? If it's the former, try changing it to the latter.
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”