Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Two things to report.

First, whenever my login cookie expires and I refresh the page, it logs me out as usual. However, clicking the login option with the middle mouse button to open it in a new tab (since I'm a neat freak and don't want the tab to navigate away) opens the login screen in a new tab and redirects the old tab to the board index, with the old session ID in the URL bar as a PHP argument.

Second, after I get logged out by cookie expiration and log in, any forum pages I had loaded before the forced logout has &sid=[long hexadecimal number] appended to every topic link. Trying to open any topic from this page causes an error message like this:

No route found for "GET /thread/17518/If-______-was-directing-EVA/&sid=5c59393476e71920df25da4b7235e31b"

Refreshing the page or copypasting the URL and manually deleting the bad argument fixes the problem, but only until the next logout/login cycle. I'm not all that good in web programming, but I think I can see what's wrong: whatever part of the site engine handles link generation gets erroneous input. That is, whatever gives the link generator the URLs is trying to pass on a PHP argument, but doesn't check whether the URL itself points at a PHP file or a HTML directory request and causes the error in the latter case.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Chapter 32 now up.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:15 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:No route found for "GET /thread/17518/If-______-was-directing-EVA/&sid=5c59393476e71920df25da4b7235e31b"

I've patched in a potential fix. Let me know if this one still happens. As for the other problem, I'll get to that later.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:35 am

It happened again today.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Chapter 32 now up.

Shamsiel-kun
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:43 pm

I can't reach the main site at all since a few hours, but the forums work fine. My side, or a server issue?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:29 pm

The news and wiki sites are on Ornette's server still, whereas the forum is on mine. I can't access the news or wiki either, so it's not just you.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:11 am

According to the logs, wiki and main site has been receiving requests for the last month without any stoppages.

https://isitup.org/check.php?domain=wiki.evageeks.org
https://isitup.org/check.php?domain=www.evageeks.org
Paganini's 14th Caprice in Eb Maj - recordings from 2004 -Vinyl collection at Discogs.
I have a haiku,
Okay, Okay, here it is,
damn, I forgot it

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:23 am

I'm seeing them fine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:19 pm

I couldn't get on to comment at all for roughly four hours last night.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 pm

There was a routing problem within the network of the company (Linode) where the server is hosted. The site did not go down (though in fact it did get rebooted at one point in an attempt to get it back, before Linode announced the problem was with them), but was simply inaccessible from the outside world.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Bug report, using Chrome.

On the option box at the top of the page (under the forum title, where the login, etc. options are listed), clicking with the middle mouse button on any of the options to open said option in a new tab also navigates the current tab to the forum's index page. Tried it on the tab I wrote this very post on by middle-clicking on the PM link, opened the PM link on a new tab and navigated this tab to the forum's index page. If I recall correctly, the site's been doing this since the overhaul a few months ago.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm

I think I can see why that's happening, but I can't think of a way to fix it right now. It's gone on my list to check out when I have time.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:43 pm

I got abruptly logged out again today, so I logged in and looked at my cookies to see how long the session lasts. All of Evageeks' cookies either had no expiration date or an expiration date set to one year from now.

Once I closed Chrome's cookie browser, I found that I was logged out again, literally two minutes after I logged in with "Remember me" ticked in. So it's not the login cookie that keeps forcibly logging me out at least once a day.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:16 am

Are you using http or https?

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 am

Former. Chrome's not even asking if I want to use the latter, it simply says that the site has no encryption or security certificate.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:50 am

It has a certificate, but it's self-signed. My Opera (which is Chrome-based) asks about it once and then gets on with it. I could just save the certificate to prevent even that. Anyway, I don't have your trouble when using https.

I'll try to see if there's any reason apparent, but there don't seem to be other people reporting the same behaviour at present.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 am

Chrome is hardwired to not accept self-signed certificates that aren't in the OS' certificate repository and there's no option to turn this behavior off. If I enter the https prefix for Evageeks' URL manually, Chrome immediately strikes-through the prefix in red and throws up a warning that my operating system doesn't trust the certificate because it's not signed by a top-level provider. I had this issue with another site before.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:26 am

Click "advanced" and "proceed" and it continues using https anyway, even though it strikes it through in red. It then even remembers the decision through a restart, which is more than Opera does.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:33 am

Manually imported the certificate into the root repository; Windows says certificate is A-OK now, but Chrome still hollers about it. Probably didn't get the memo yet.

I had the self-signed certificate issue with another website a few months ago; I could view the site but couldn't log in because Chrome vehemently refused to send a password or any kind of authentication credentials to an untrusted party, so I was concerned it might affect the Evageeks login too. From what I can gather on the net, Chrome users have been asking for this super-paranoid practice to stop for seven years now.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Right, so... since I switched over to using the site with https, the "Remember me" option at login doesn't seem to work anymore. I get logged out twice a day on average.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:24 pm

I use https and have no problem staying logged in. First thing to try is clearing the site cookies in your browser.

(I'm using Opera, which has the same basis as Chrome.)

Return to “Evageeks.org News and Feedback”