My letter to Anno Hideaki-san

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

My letter to Anno Hideaki-san

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 pm

The Letter  SPOILER: Show
I wasn’t sure how to address this letter to you. “Dear Mr. Anno” felt a little too generic, but it seems to be the most respectful. That said, please read on.

I have very much enjoyed the story of Neon Genesis Evangelion from the TV series, to End of Evangelion, to the New Theatrical Edition. I feel that the work you have created is extraordinary, and that it has impacted a great many people. It’s an amazing piece of both televised media and cinema, and I simply wanted to let you know how I felt about it.

The series manages to be lighthearted and complex whenever it wants to be, inspiring such a connection with the characters that you empathize with them on a level you never thought you could. Watching the characters as they get knocked down and struggle back up again is inspiring, and watching them fail to recover instills a deep feeling of empathy for them. The characters are only one of the many reasons that I remain enamored with Evangelion.

Everything is so complex, with every character connected to the next. I love the complex relationships that every character has with one another. It really makes the series the strong piece of work that I see it to be.

Of course, if I were to tell you everything that I enjoyed about the series, it would take several letters to do so. Likewise, if I asked you every question that I had about the series, it would take a similar amount of time. There are so many questions, and I take such pleasure from finding the answers. It may not surprise you that there is actually a website where large groups of people discuss Evangelion. The website is called www.forum.evageeks.org. Here, we often speculate about your upcoming movie, Evangelion: FINAL, and talk about your past works. There is also a database connected to the site where we store all of the information that we have extracted from the series.

I understand that you are a very busy man, with your upcoming voice-acting role and the work on the final movie in the New Theatrical Edition of Evangelion. Because of this, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read this letter from one of the many fans of your biggest creation.

Of course, I do have a few questions to ask you about the series, and I would love it if you replied. What are the coffins on the moon in the New Theatrical Edition? How does Rei appear in front of Shinji in Episode one of the TV series? Is the New Theatrical Edition a sequel to the TV series? Is EoE happening at the same time as episodes 25 and 26? When do you think FINAL will be released? There are many more questions, but I believe these are the most important ones at this time.

I love your work, and I would be deeply honored if you would reply to this letter.

Sincerely,
[REDACTED]
Evageeks username: Nuclear Lunchbox

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to receive a reply, but what the hell. I'm taking this down to the post office on Saturday to get exact postage.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Well keep us posted, appreciate the share.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 16, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm pessimistic about you getting a direct response, however I appreciate the spirit of what you're doing, and I'd like to see if anything comes of it.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Did you write the letter in Japanese? I'm just not sure how good Anno's English is. He might not be able to understand it.

I see a few different scenarios:

1)Return to sender.
2)Letter received, but tossed aside and forgotten.
3)Letter received, opened, but not being in native Japanese, it is auto-tossed.
4)Letter received, opened, translated, but no response sent back.
5)Letter received, opened, translated, and responded to by a staff member.
6)Letter received, opened, translated, and responded to by Anno.

That being said, if this letter is responded to by Anno himself, it'll be the most monumental thing to happen to an evageeks member. Pulling for ya.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 pm

I hope you get the response. :crush:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 am

At first I was like "Oh, this is really nice" but then got to the questions and it got a little awkward. Especially as one or two are a little pedestrian, or we have enough material to work with to establish answers, i.e. Quantum Rei.

My advice would be to withhold any questions you have for the reply, if you do possibly get one (Or maybe just whittle a few out for the time being... I don't know) - But yeah, otherwise; go for it Nuke! Nothing to lose, hey.

In this day and age actual fan mail is pretty much extinct, even with more mediums such as email and the internet, it's just not something you tend to know or hear about all that often. And the receiver will always appreciate the heartfelt sentiment and expression too.

Keep us posted, man!

;)
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 am

I'ma send him a death threat so it gets into 4.0

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am

You do realize, Nuke-kun, that this means war, right? You sent him a letter. If I am to best you, I'll have to go visit the man.

That said, the letter is excellent. It's the right length to not be a bore to read, but expository enough to get the details in that you requires. Good job!
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am

Nukey, that fine letter coupled with your beard makes me very happy, and proud, of you.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 am

Cool, I like what you did there
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am

I agree with Blue Monday: the questions at the end sound like something Anno/Gainax get a lot. Since they've kept quiet about this stuff for so long, I doubt they'll feel inclined to give you any answers. At least not until 4.0 is out.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 pm

If he responds to you, you are God. And I will send him something too. Also, let´s send him death threads. Seriously. Think about it. Your letter in Eva 4.0. Awesome.
And Anno doesn´t speak any english. He said he regreted not having paid attention in school. Or did you write it in Japanese?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Also, let´s send him death threads. Seriously. Think about it. Your letter in Eva 4.0. Awesome.

Well, first of all: *threats.
Second: I really, really, REALLY hope you're joking. Even then, that's a very bad joke. For many reasons that I shouldn't need to enumerate.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 17, 2013 3:04 pm

There were some letters of praise in EoE as well...

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri May 17, 2013 3:22 pm

AI KEEL YUU ANNOOOU

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm surprised at the amount of people that have taken an interest in this! Now, I really am not expecting a response back. I understand that it's only a fan letter, and that there is no obligation to reply. Sending the letter was mainly done for the spirit of the thing. It's going to depart from a West Coast post office this Saturday, so I'll keep you posted once I get it out of my house. Now, to answer your questions!

@ Guy nacks The letter is in English. My Japanese is not good enough to write a letter. Regardless of if Anno can understand it or not, there is probably at least one person in the Khara building that knows English and can translate.

@ Blue Monday and Riffraff I would have never forgiven myself if Anno had responded and I hadn't at least asked some of the biggest questions. :ting:

@ Everybody else who took the time to respond to this thread Thank you all for your support! If I get a response, believe me, you guys will be the first to know.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri May 17, 2013 3:25 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:@ Everybody else who took the time to respond to this thread Thank you all for your support!

What's the worst that could happen, seriously now

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 17, 2013 3:28 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:What's the worst that could happen, seriously now

I mean supporting the idea of sending a letter to an awesome dood. :lol:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Well, first of all: *threats.
Second: I really, really, REALLY hope you're joking. Even then, that's a very bad joke. For many reasons that I shouldn't need to enumerate.

Ups! XD Threats. Not threads.
And what do you mean with the bad joke? You seem kind of angry. :0
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

It was in highly poor taste, is what i think he meant.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”