Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Watched the English dub trailer for barely 20 seconds before I could take it no more. It's true - the dub really brings out the sheer ridiculousness of the entire show. (The tanks and the details on the tanks are awesome. Getting little girls to drive those lethal killing machines? Ridiculous.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Watched the English dub trailer for barely 20 seconds before I could take it no more. It's true - the dub really brings out the sheer ridiculousness of the entire show. (The tanks and the details on the tanks are awesome. Getting little girls to drive those lethal killing machines? Ridiculous.)

You clearly don't grasp the true beauty of tankery.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:05 pm

If I wanted Tankery, I would be playing World of Tanks.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:17 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:(The tanks and the details on the tanks are awesome. Getting little girls to drive those lethal killing machines? Ridiculous.)

But GuP is the pinnacle of realistic tank anime. Everything else just gets all silly.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:If I wanted Tankery, I would be playing World of Tanks.

Excuse me while I laugh

speaking of, there is actually a Panzer Maiden game coming for the Vita

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/18/gi ... ring-2014/

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 pm

*Penetrates Fireball's roof with artillery shells*

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:But GuP is the pinnacle of realistic tank anime. Everything else just gets all silly.

An announcer who has no idea that tanks didn't exist in 1902, a Tiger Tank that seems to be a Tachikoma in disguise, and a giant (robot?) lobster chewing on a tank for lunch? Well, GuP seems to be the best of a bad lot...at best.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:49 am

Sensha-do is just fanservice, just like all the setting detail in Strike Witches. It makes the basic school sports story more fun than if they were just playing hockey.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 am

You're right, as always, Uncle Tines. Thank the Kami for Panzer fanservice! Seriously, I love the level of details put into those machines. Absolutely outstanding stuff, with some little touches that I appreciate (like the German school leader being on Tiger 212, Michael Wittman's Tiger)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:31 am

Aye, that's what I love about GuP. It has plenty of military fanservice and clever historical details and shout-outs without any of the uncomfortable cheesecake of Strike Witches.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Milienius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milienius » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 pm

speaking of, there is actually a Panzer Maiden game coming for the Vita

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/18/gi ... ring-2014/

GottaWannaNeedaHava that game

(kudos if you get the commercial reference)

And yeah GuP might be the most realistic tank anime out there...if realism and anime can be used in the same sentence seriously :lol:

I have been watching the dub...needless to say it has been pretty hard to bear though but some actors are better than others and the added radio effect during the combat scenes is a definite plus.
Follow Me

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Planning a trip to Japan next October and I put down Ooarai as a place to visit after the tour part of the trip is over. I'll need some help planning this part since I'd need an idea of what to check out that shows up in the series. I'm wondering what people have come across that mentions itineraries, routes, or specific places in the town that pop up in the series. If the whole thing is too much work I may drop it and just stick to the Tokyo area.

So far I've found:

http://otakumode.com/sp/visit_japan/seichi-junrei/s002
http://www.oarai-info.jp/girls-und-panzer/
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:22 pm

If you take the train it's only about 90 minutes from Tokyo. There is a GuP bus route that drives along the streets and the tower as well the shop the Matilda crashed in have become somewhat the famous hotspots for otaku to visit. I would time my stay definitely with the yearly anglerfish festival (this year had an attendance of 100000 people!) so you can ride JSDF tanks and AHNG~AHNG~ with the voice actors.

for finding locations, this may help visualising a bit more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCGeH09DHL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyd4ehL6h0k

the map is probably the most helpful though. It's a small town and there is GuP practically everywhere so I wouldn't worry too much about missing anything.

In other news, the second GuP figma is out and it is Yukari!

http://www.figma.jp/

YAHOOOOOOOOO~

too bad the hair isn't posable...

HA HA SO YOU THOUGHT!

[x] touch fluffy hair

:D :D

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Ermahgerd

Max Factory, stop releasing awesome things. You'll suck my wallet dry.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Milienius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milienius » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm

JSDF tank you say? hmmmm my interest has been peaked.
Follow Me

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:36 am

I would likely miss the Ankou Festival since my dates are mid October-early November. Heading up to Ooarai would depend on how everything shapes up with budget and time but it would be nice if the movie comes out before then too.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:03 am

Time for Il Duce!

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-22709.html

Anzio, despite its reputation for "Being tough when worked up", was thought to have lost unceremoniouslly to Oarai, which had gained "momentum" after winning over Saunders High.

However, behind this was an unknown hot struggle.

Prior to the match with Oarai in the 2nd round of the National Panzerfahren contest, Captain Anchovy delivered her manifesto to her team. According to Anchovy, she has a secret plan for dealing with Oarai. Squeezing their limited budget, by economizing and saving they had bought a secret weapon - the Italian Heavy Tank P40. On the other side, Oarai Girls Academy learnt that Anzio is procuring a new tank, but is unaware of its actual type. Thus, Yukari infiltrated into Anzio...

released in Japan on July 25, 2014

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:33 pm

No movie news yet I take it.

Were Eps 5-6 of Yukari's tank corner ever subbed? AK looks like they stopped at 4 and just quit. :irked:

Per the latest Rightstuf catalog, GuP was voted one of the top 5 anime of 2013 or something along with KLK and AOT.

Milienius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milienius » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 am

I would take the silence as no news :sniffle:
Follow Me

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 am

View Original PostMilienius wrote:I would take the silence as no news :sniffle:

well there is the trailer for the OVA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ls8xo

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 pm

How to wear your mini beret so it doesn't fall off your head. Caesar have a sister who goes to Anzio?

Return to “Anime and Manga”