Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:19 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Gurren Lagann would like to have a word with you.
One of these things is not like the other.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Dubbing ruins anime. It forces the voice actors to create dialogue within a set amount of syllables, and the process usually winds up distorting the meaning behind the original Japanese performance. Isn't the whole point of watching a show from another country to get the culture of that country out of it? Dubbing over it in English takes so much life out of the show.

Some people don't like reading subtitles.

I'm one of them.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Personally, I believe that English voice actors scream more than Japanese ones when performing their lines. It hurts my ears after a while.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:37 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Personally, I believe that English voice actors scream more than Japanese ones when performing their lines. It hurts my ears after a while.

Obviously it all comes down to personal preference. From what I've observed, Japanese speakers are generally not as loud as English speakers, Americans (and Canadians) in particular. I think that American simply speak louder because it is a cultural thing. When I was in Europe a few years back, it was always rather easy to pick out the American tourists, simply because they speak so loudly.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Personally, I believe that English voice actors scream more than Japanese ones when performing their lines. It hurts my ears after a while.

When?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:When?
Hayao Miazaki (spelling?) films are the worst to watch in English. Tolerable, but it ruins the experience for me. EoE had its fair share of screaming in both languages, but I found it easier to listen to in Japanese (for reasons unbeknownst to myself or anyone else). It's majorly a personal preference.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Obviously it all comes down to personal preference. From what I've observed, Japanese speakers are generally not as loud as English speakers, Americans (and Canadians) in particular. I think that American simply speak louder because it is a cultural thing. When I was in Europe a few years back, it was always rather easy to pick out the American tourists, simply because they speak so loudly.

I agree that it is definitely personal preference. I grew up watching both dub and Japanese, but I prefer Japanese. Then again there are some shows that had awesome dubs. Such as.........

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Gurren Lagann would like to have a word with you.

You can't help but watch these in english :peace:

Now......I dont know bout the Japanese not being as loud. Yes, the american versions can be overly expressive, but the Japanese can definitely compete with us.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:You can't help but watch these in english :peace:

I would go so far as to say that the English dub of Bebop is superior to the Japanese.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Oh you won't get any resistance out of me on that one. I've seen both and the dub is the best
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:07 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Oh you won't get any resistance out of me on that one. I've seen both and the dub is the best

Different opinions... I prefer the sub...etc,etc...
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 pm

TOPIC

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:00 pm

Sorry for the digression, 'Nette.

I suppose a dub might be tolerable if ADV or Funi reworked it, seeing how much better the dubbing process has become since the 90's.
Last edited by Nuclear Lunchbox on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 pm

No preference as I prefer subs anyway.

If there's one VA I'd consider for replacement, it's Misato's. Allison Keith is pretty good... as long as she keeps talking in a level tone. When she starts yelling, I get the urge to stab myself in the ear.

It's pretty bizarre when the English VA has a higher tone than the Japanese seiyuu; maybe that's what makes me like Mitsuishi's performance a lot more.

weeminator24
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby weeminator24 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 am

Just re-watched Funimation's Rebuild Dubs......I really can't stand the voice that they gave to Kensuke...

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm probably going to be shot for this, but I appreciate both the series and Rebuild dubs (runs for cover).

Sure, they each have their quirks, not to mention Kaworu was changed at least twice and of course EoE Hyuga, but that's what makes it amusing. At first, I was also disappointed about some of the changes they made from the series to Rebuild (like Kaji, Gendo and Fuyutsuki were actually somewhat decent IMO in the series) but then I grew to like the new VAs (even if Gendo and Kozo sound the same). I even kind of prefer the new Kensuke to the old (he somehow sounds less awkward, I guess).

Now, don't get me wrong, I also very much like the subs (much more in Rebuild than the series, for whatever reason - probably because I saw the series dubbed first), and usually prefer subs to dubs (but that's off topic).

TL;DR - I like the dubs as they are, no re-dub for me thanks. And I also wouldn't like them to release an HD redo of the series - I think the old look is charming and nostalgic.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Dubs.

I'm someone who doesn't like missing any frame of a show, so I miss details when I'm focused on reading and trying to look at the images as opposed to just experiencing the full audio/visual experience.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm

But you haven't watched Evangelion.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Fortunately I've seen the series so many times I've memorized it and don't need subtitles anymore. :lol:

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 pm

Arael, I think your argument loses some speed when the second THIS is an entirely different image. Still, I get your meaning and I think the prehistoric painting argument is a bit... Extreme I guess?

Still, as it stands I've got a few questions.

What's up with the "This isn't really me" thing? I'll assume I've missed something as I'm not even sure which scene you're referring to directly, let alone how it was stupid.

As for the Kaji slap vs. gunshot thing. I know ADV redubbed the original from what sounded like a slap to a clear gunshot, but when I watched the Japanese dub of the director's cut episode it also sounded like a clear gunshot. Was that done in response to ADV, or was it always supposed to be a gunshot and ADV actually got something right?

EDIT: Just realised I've only replied to the first page of comments... Well bugger.

EDIT2: Well, all caught up. Honestly There are a couple of things for me on this one.

Hate Kensuke's ADV voice

Love both Reis, so whatever.

Misato could do to be less screamy in Rebuild, so applying that to the entire of the original series might be a stretch.

Much prefer Gendo's Rebuild voice, but the only issue is, unless you track the line changes in the Space scene, you can lose whether its him or Fuyutsuki talking. Not that there aren't differences in their voices, but it's not enough that you couldn't mistake one for the other.

Kaji is a smooth son of a bitch regardless, so the change in pitch doesn't bother me.

Everyone else presents no issue to me regardless of ADV/Funimation.

I will say that I don't understand the attachment to the Japanese dub though. I honestly don't understand the appeal to someone who isn't a fluent speaker because have to put up with subs, which are also a detraction of the culture of the original, because it's digesting what is being said in another language and putting it into a comprehensible system to be understood by someone who doesn't speak that language, not to mention if it's a fan-sub there can be more than a few issues I've wanted to punch people over.

Besides that, I notice that a lot of the time it's because people think it "Sounds better" Which at times comes across to me as intellectual snobbishness, believing simply because it's the intended language or because it's the foreign dub that it's of course superior. Or in some cases that it is in comparison to an English dub where the English voices are either annoying or stereotypical, at which point I have to ask, what if the Japanese voices are the same to the Japanese and you just don't get that cause you don't speak it?

It will always be a matter of preference I suppose, but I'm going to defend the idea that unless you are a fluent speaker of the language, you are going to lose something either through dubs or subs regardless.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 am

I wish they'd replaced Tiffany Grant. Do I blaspheme?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”