Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:20 am

Yeah, maybe I was stretching to say they could fit it into the Rebuild production schedule. I would still personally like to see this happen. If you want to get the original meaning behind the script and writing you have to watch the subbed version, but that means you can't focus on the visuals and artistic work on the show. Film is a visual medium, animation even more-so, if the only way to enjoy the story is through reading dialogue I'd just as soon take Evangelion in book form. Even if you can read fast your eyes are still drawn away from everything and you end up missing key points in the story that are never said aloud.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:39 am

@Topic
If they could get the team who does the British dubs for the theatrical releases of Ghibli movies, then I'd be all for it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 am

The English dub holds a lot of nostalgia for me, personally...

Can't say I wouldn't mind a dub with a more accurate translation though.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:The English dub holds a lot of nostalgia for me, personally...

Can't say I wouldn't mind a dub with a more accurate translation though.

this.
Although i did like Spencer's Shinji ,i wouldn't mind getting a different voice actor for that character, the rest is pretty much fine as it is.
It's too late to pry away.

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Practice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:09 am

Could someone expand on the general opinion on the original English dub? I've only watched through Eva once so far (I know, I know!) and I actually found it to be pretty good. I can understand people disliking certain characters' voices in general, but are there any glaring reasons why the English dub is considered so bad that I'm missing?
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 am

Mistranslations, and shit voice acting for anyone who isn't Shinji, Rei, Misato, or Gendou.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 am

TehDonutKing nailed it there, but about Shinji being good then was debatable. He was quite screechy, from what I can remember (which is why everyone is saying how Spencer significantly improved in Rebuild).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 am

If we're talking about a redub that involves a significant retranslation of the Japanese script, with an aim toward restoring the original meaning, then maybe.

If we're just talking about a mostly similar script with different voice actors, I'm not sure I'd pay for that. First, because I don't mind ~75-80%* of the performances in the English dub, which, IMO, gets an undue amount of hatred from Eva fandom. Second, because the quality of the acting isn't what's wrong with the dub in the first place, or at least it's not the major issue. The major issue is the fidelity of the script.

Either way, though, I'd be on the fence. I've already forked over plenty of cash for the various releases and box sets. I guess the one thing that I'd pay for, no questions asked, would be a redub with the original English voice actors and/or a few substitutions (especially to the minor characters), plus a visual remastering for Blu-ray (to the extent this is possible).

* Even Spike Spencer, lightning rod that he is, is fine in my book. He's a little screechy and whiny, but come on, it's Shinji we're talking about. I think he perfectly captures what Shinji would sound like in English. I do think he's improved in the Rebuild dubs, though, and maybe toned down the dissonance just a tiny bit.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

A retranslation with the original actors is what I meant. And I thought that a lot of the major fans would have a reaction like yours, not wanting to spend more money when you already own several boxed sets. Still, they don't even need to redo the entire series. I just want to see the scenes that were messed up by mistranslation be redubbed.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:47 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Mistranslations, and shit voice acting for anyone who isn't Kaji.

Fixed.

with the original actors is what I meant.

Then screw it. There's no point.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd like a new dub where Rei's lines are all dubbed over in the Dr. Claw voice from that one abridged series version.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Rebbie's Eva Abridged? That would be amusing, to say the least.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 pm

The thing is, now that it's so much later, the new dub would have a major advantage. We've seen the original. This much later every problem with the dub has been pointed out and categorized by fans and critics. A new dub script would have the advantage that conversations on how the dub went wrong have been done to death on forums like this one.

Also, speaking of Evangelion dubs. A question I've been wondering for a while. For those living outside of anglophone countries, how are some of the other dubs when it comes to fidelity to the source?

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:The thing is, now that it's so much later, the new dub would have a major advantage. We've seen the original. This much later every problem with the dub has been pointed out and categorized by fans and critics. A new dub script would have the advantage that conversations on how the dub went wrong have been done to death on forums like this one.

This assumes that anyone at ADV or Manga gives a shit what the fans think.

Would you care to gamble on the chances of that?

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Also, speaking of Evangelion dubs. A question I've been wondering for a while. For those living outside of anglophone countries, how are some of the other dubs when it comes to fidelity to the source?

Worse, I've heard. In the Spanish dub, "AT Field" stands for "Anti-Tank Field" and Rei's voice got roboticized or metallicized or something.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:34 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:This assumes that anyone at ADV or Manga gives a shit what the fans think.

Would you care to gamble on the chances of that?

Amanda Winn Lee came here to confront fans about what they thought of Rei and her directorial choices.

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:45 pm

I think ADV actually did give a shit, in as much as the company was started as a labor of love by anime fans (and back when anime occupied an even smaller niche in the American video market than it does today).

The problem is that ADV only gave a shit about the voices of its own fans, i.e., the principals of ADV.

Say what you will about their handling of the Eva dubs, and say what you will about their tiresome bullshit over the "live action movie" vaporware, but they deserve a fair amount of credit for building up the American anime market.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Amanda Winn Lee came here to confront fans about what they thought of Rei and her directorial choices.

Was that her intent though? I thought it was more of a "meet and greet" attitude that she came in with, which was why she was so turned away by the response?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original Postamandawinnlee wrote:I just wanted to jump on your board and clear the air about a few things. I understand that both my commentary and my choice of sound effects in the End of Eva have raised a lot of hackles in the fan community. I want to apologize to those people.

Eva became my life and I was determined to try and do it justice. Some will argue I did, other will say my dub was an abortion. I get that.
But please do not make assume to know me or my personality when I have never even MET you. Criticize my work, absolutely. Saying that I as a human being have no reason to exist or that I'm an ignorant moron is uncalled for.

And the response was fine:

View Original Postamandawinnlee wrote:You guys are sweet to try and soften your blows. :) I had nothing to do with the menu, that was all Manga. I know my voice/ directing choices aren't everyone's cup of tea, and I am not at all offended if you don't like my stuff. Art is subjective, so what one person adores, another loathes. It's when you guys start calling me an "attention whore" or "evil" or any of those other charming epithets that I take exception. I have never even met you, so saying those things is just mean spirited and ignorant. Remember to separate the work from the person.

Until the post that's been removed in that thread.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Ah ok then, seems my memory failed me. I'll go put it in time out now.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:42 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Until the post that's been removed in that thread.

Going by what i know about the incident, i wouldn't be surprised if defensiveness of her directional choices had nothing to do with it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”