True story of Adam and Lilith

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:25 pm

Unpopular books? What do you mean? You're innuendo has been wasted on me.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:39 pm

there were a lot of book canonized out of the bible due to A, arising questions and B making it more politically correct

like the story of lucifer was once in it, and Lilith etc etc. basically i want some books on demonology and angelology
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:42 pm

Just to point this out...all this Cain as a vampire thing is based on The Book of Nod/Vampires of the Masquerade related material. I haven't heard it elsewhere really. o.o;

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:45 pm

i think it was based off other things

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Warning: Big Thoughts Ahead

One thing I think went into the Eva designs was the number seven. Lilith wears a mask with seven eyes, seven being the number of perfection and supposedly the number of eyes god is said to have. Lilith is where human life began, and Lilith is in a way a god-like being. The mask I believe is there so that you cannot see Lilith's true face. In religious texts, god had a brilliant radiance that could blind men, and it was considered sinful to see god's face. I think that it is a valid parallel to the placement of the mask, so that you in essence cannot gaze upon the face of god, where Lilith is fufilling the role of god.

The mask, and Seele emblem, also has the pyramid on it, which if you are familiar with Egyptian religion you will know that the Egyptian rule Akhenaten was the ruler who declared one true god "The Aten" sun god for the egyptian people. Some historians trace chritianity/judaism/islam back to that. And as you see on the dollar bill the pyramid is there with the eye of god above it. As well, the nerv HQ is a pyramid, another reference to the roots of the mythos of christianity.

How does this relate to the Evas? The fact that the production incorporated numerology lends validity to the Evas having the number of eyes they have for a specific reason. This may have to do with where their designs came from initially. It is possible that there are some Oni/Demons/Gods somewhere that the Eva are based on. Until we know that, they only thing I would like to offer is that the number of eyes of the three principal Evas, when added up, is seven. The number of god, and the number of perfection. What does this mean in the grander scheme of things? I don't know.

What I do know is that I find it odd that Yamashita has never expressed where the designs came from. He's spoken about them, but his comments don't lend any validity to them being designed off of anything. Just the sentiment that they were intended to express.

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_yamashita1.php

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:40 pm

i think you might like this

sakuraflower89 wrote:If you write the character for Shinji over and over, it morphs into smiley faces. Look..

2 eyes, like Unit 01.
1 eye, like Unit 00.
4 eyes, like Unit 02.

I forgot who told me this. ^^;

777 is the number of God btw (7 heavens, 7 eyes of God, and there was one other thing that escapes me right now)

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:48 pm

There was also the matter of Cain being punished 7 times and such...
And by the way, the land of Nod translates to "the land of wandering". In other words God did not actually banish Cain to a certain place, rather, he doomed Cain to wander forever, restless.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:41 am

i think that falls under a different trinity of 7s

7 deadly sins
7 curses of cain etc etc

although id bet im completely wrong

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:23 am

7 years of Tribulation. Don't forget that one.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:54 pm

you know, the Christian God really must have a hard on for trinities

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:13 am

For those with the EoE DVD flip it on for a second and check if the failed Evas have seven eyes. You the ones on the opening menu screen that are just a head and a spine? Or you can check that episode were Shinji finds the Eva graveyard. It was that place were there were Eva heads lying on the ground in the chalk outlines. I'm pretty sure that they had seven eyes.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:39 am

i think that might have been episode 23, possibly 22. i dont know its been almost over a month since ive watched a decent amount of Evangelion

0.o

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:35 am

Here is the head with seven eyes (from EoE)
I marked the eyes that were in shadows, but it has 5 big eyes, and 2 little ones under the central eye:
*insert cool signature here*

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:37 pm

That's interesting since adding the first 3 of the Eva series' eyes together comes out as seven. Maybe the people working on Eva were trying to create one all-powerful Eva, and then had to space their creation out to more than one body. Also, I just noticed the MP Evas didn't have any eyes at all.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:14 pm

The failed Zerogoki have 5 eyes.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”