Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:20 pm

EVA-01X wrote:Was it here that somebody said that in Final Fantasy VII in the Golden Saucers Showroom there is a D-Type Equipment thingie?

That was on trivialbeing.

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:13 pm

let's not forget that battle music from Eva was used in episode 3 of Abenobashi

there was a bkg music on Abenobashi that resembled Rei's theme

of course, it's Gainax, so no surprise there XD

also, in Otaku no Video, Hanaka swears that he and his fellow otaku will soon take over the world. I love the irony of this because Eva was made just 5 years later and boom, they acheived their goal. (For those who never saw OnV, it's a mockumentary on how Gainax was formed)
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Vodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vodrake » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:55 am

The Love Hina manga has at least one Eva reference that i remember. Can't remember which volume it was in, but keitaro was following Naru through town to her new job and at one point had a image in his head of her dressed up in Asukas plug suit, dont know why though.

Cyanna
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyanna » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:58 pm

As soon as I realized the episode was sci-fi/mecha themed I was like "They better have some Eva jokes in this."

Then they made that verbal gag about becoming one with each other and I was a lost cause. The whole mecha battle combined with the Eva music sent me into hysterical crying I was laughing so hard. :lol:

Of course being in an Otakon video room full of laughing people didn't help much either. :roll:

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:15 pm

In episode 3 of Azumanga Daioh, Yukari mimics Misato's way of yelling after taking a drink of beer, and then proceeds to explain how she used to have a friend like that, using the idiom "Shame on the road can be written off," (that's how it was translated, anyway).
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:05 am

coff wrote:
EVA-01X wrote:Was it here that somebody said that in Final Fantasy VII in the Golden Saucers Showroom there is a D-Type Equipment thingie?

That was on trivialbeing.

that was me!
I was stunned when i found this, but i'm sure i wasn't the first to notice.

it's just so cool to find these things eh?
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:42 pm

Vodrake wrote:The Love Hina manga has at least one Eva reference that i remember. Can't remember which volume it was in, but keitaro was following Naru through town to her new job and at one point had a image in his head of her dressed up in Asukas plug suit, dont know why though.

Naru was approaching some sort of an Otaku Cafe or whatever, and Keitaro thought that she was going to work there. "What?! That's full of drooling otaku!"
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:44 am

Having read all the Yakitate!! Japan manga scanlations to date, I've noticed what seems to be a homage to End of Evangelion. (By Takashi Hashiguchi, translated by rp, edited by Rattikarl)

Volume 10, and chapter 83 of the series: page 6.
Pierrot's flashback of his childhood, while he was drowning. He was building a sand castle with his parents on the beach, who thought that it looked like... (wait for it)... a Pyramid.
:lol:

(Note: Like all Japanese manga, it's read right to left, top to bottom)
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:18 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Vodrake wrote:The Love Hina manga has at least one Eva reference that i remember. Can't remember which volume it was in, but keitaro was following Naru through town to her new job and at one point had a image in his head of her dressed up in Asukas plug suit, dont know why though.

Naru was approaching some sort of an Otaku Cafe or whatever, and Keitaro thought that she was going to work there. "What?! That's full of drooling otaku!"

There are actually a couple references to Eva in the Love Hina Manga. The ones I remember off the top of my head are the previous mentioned one, one in which Keitaro gets a little emotional on Naru, and she tells him to stop getting all Shinji on her, and there is another scene with Keitaro and Shinobu where the -don't ever say goodbye, it's too sad- line comes up. There may be more that I don't know about as I am missing books 2, 4, and 9.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Vodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vodrake » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:51 pm

Hunter21 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

There are actually a couple references to Eva in the Love Hina Manga. The ones I remember off the top of my head are the previous mentioned one, one in which Keitaro gets a little emotional on Naru, and she tells him to stop getting all Shinji on her, and there is another scene with Keitaro and Shinobu where the -don't ever say goodbye, it's too sad- line comes up. There may be more that I don't know about as I am missing books 2, 4, and 9.

Really? Wow, i never noticed any of those, but it's about time i read through it again anyway so i might do a better job this time heh

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:29 pm

I heard somewhere (dont know where) that they had an Eva related somthing in Inuyasha. Is it true?? :?
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Vodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vodrake » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:11 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:I heard somewhere (dont know where) that they had an Eva related somthing in Inuyasha. Is it true?? :?

* Imagines unit 1 popping up in the sengoku jidai and getting pwned by a guy with doggy ears and a big sword* :twisted:

I haven't seen any reference to eva in inuyasha to date, but i've barely read any of the manga so if the reference popped up in there then odds are i havent read it yet.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:46 pm

oh okay. I read that it was supposed to be in a store in kagomays time. Inside a store window an action figure of U.1 I think?
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:02 pm

I just saw "The Life of David Gale". It was a cool movie, (if your want to know what it's about, do a google search). Anyway they had flash backs and every time one happend a bunch of words, written on various things (paper, computer, etc.) would flicker by, like a bunch of scene of Eva.
Last edited by anatrok on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:15 am

In One Hour Photo a kid wants his mother to buy him an Eva Series action figure. The Eva's meaning is even mentioned in the commentary for the film.
I can only take so much retarded.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:17 am

Monkey did a news post like ages ago, but I suppose it's ok. I would have thought that Unit 01 would have been more apropriate, but maybe they could find one. I know I can't find one!

Redmage2k
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Redmage2k » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:26 am

In 'BurnUp W' they had a purple/green mecha that looked EXACTLY like Unit-01.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~redmage2k

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:12 pm

Redmage2k wrote:In 'BurnUp W' they had a purple/green mecha that looked EXACTLY like Unit-01.

And the program that Nanvel ran on the console to start it up was the NGE episodes listing.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Have you all seen Eva-Gir....

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:50 pm

Imagines unit 1 popping up in the sengoku jidai and getting pwned by a guy with doggy ears and a big sword*

I dunno, unit 1 would probably just step on him when he charges into battle trying to chop at its ankle. Maybe his Dad whose a giant dog demon might be able to take on unit 1 though.

Anyway in the abenobashi manga they did a much more blatant parody then the anime and had sasshi and arumi pilot something that looks almost exactly like unit 1. Also in one of the more recent sgt frog manga, Keroro is tries to look cool by acting like Gendo. He does the Gendo pose at his desk with his hands over his mouth. Giroro gets a little confused by Keroros suddenly serious behavior , but in the next panel you see that under Keroro's desk is one of the evangelion graphic novels.

Also in thesgt frog manga where Giroro gets turned into a beserk oni they try to stop him with balkalite which fails.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”