Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:00 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Why just guns? That rift is located in a rather inaccessible part of the pacific ocean - use torpedoes and mines with tactical nuclear warheads to blow the Kaiju to shreds, problem solved!

I was meaning static gun emplacements, using the guns we saw on one of the jaegers (which seemed to work against the kaiju).

Only the sheer stupidity of the military in this movie let them lose to the Kaiju. Bunker-bursting deep-penetrator bombs, depth charges (conventional and nuclear), low-yield nukes, drones capable of carrying low-yield nukes into Kaiju mouths, Kaiju-chomp bait with powerful conventional HE/nukes/futuristic plasma warheads to blow up Kaiju insides...there were practically a gazillion smart-aleck solutions to the Kaiju problem that the screenwriters were too dumb to think of!

Drones are a very good point. Now I have images of drones with tac nukes taking out the first few kaiju, with later beasts coming through with anti-air capabilities. That could be really cool depending on how it was handled.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 am

Guns are an atrocious choice of weapon underwater, unless you're talking about some fancy plasma cannon shindig. Torpedoes work far better, which is why submarines use torpedoes exclusively for underwater combat (even ASROC had a torpedo component). Those deck guns you see on subs are for surface use.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Guns are an atrocious choice of weapon underwater, unless you're talking about some fancy plasma cannon shindig.

That's what they appeared to be, yes. Some sort of energy weapon at least (I think plasma would be even worse underwater than in air, but whatever, something all glowy and shit).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 am

CinemaSins did a video of everything wrong about itself one time. One of them was "We're not critics. We're assholes." This should be a clue as to how one is to approch their material.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: "We're not critics. We're assholes."

:hahaha:

Bags - yes, plasma would be worse, but it has the benefit of being "Applied phlebotinum" (aka utter bullshit) so someone could cook up an explanation for why such a thing would work underwater.

Hell, the more I think about this movie, the less of it makes sense, and it's not just the nonsense physics and absurd tactics.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

I watched the movie for robots beating the shit out of monsters. It was perfect fodder for CinemaSins, and they did a great job with it. :lol: I did enjoy the video they made critiquing themselves. It was great.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:07 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:There's also a difference between "critical thinking" and "nit-picking." One usually results in a well-rounded opinion of a work of art when its applied to such things, while the other results in funny YouTube videos.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Freaky: Insulting people who disagree with you isn't helping your case.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Everything wrong with Pacific Rim.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Guy made lots of good point, though.

:lol: Wow. I just realized this happened.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote::lol: Wow. I just realized this happened.

It's not as interesting you make it out to be since this was the insult in question:

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It's not my fault I'm the only one of the few who knows what a plot is. :hahaha:

But hey, when you cut and paste willy-nilly you can make it look like anyone is saying anything!

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh no, a bunch of minor plot holes in this ridiculous robots-punching-monsters movie, what a travesty
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:24 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Oh no, a bunch of minor plot holes in this ridiculous robots-punching-monsters movie, what a travesty

It's a stupid little argument, yes, but it came about because Freaky said this:

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, it was "stupid," I guess. It didn't ask the viewer to do any critical thinking, but at the same time critical thinking wouldn't have revealed any plot holes or inconsistencies in the quality this movie either. It's a nice solid fun movie. :D

I called bullshit on that, Freaky got all condescending, and here we are. Me, I thought it was a fun movie, but I'm not about to say it didn't have any holes because it's a freakin' kaiju movie! Plot holes are half the fun.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:23 pm

I do agree though that maybe Mako's flashback should have gone in the beginning of the movie. Heck, I'd even take her as the main character. Of all the things I loved about Pacific Rim, Charlie Hunnam's dull line readings wasn't at the top of my list.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:53 pm

I saw this again last night (well, sort of - I spent most of its running time with my nose buried in my 3DS) and I gotta say I had not fully appreciated just how much the film plays up its own schlockiness. I'm still not sure that's enough to save it from the point around 60-90 minutes in when the novelty of it all wears off and the vacuousness of the whole thing, intentional or not, begins to strain.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 am

Well, I bought the 3D Blu-Ray for the rather reasonable price of 15 quid. Now I just need some 3D glasses to go with my TV and it'll be 3D monster-robot deathmatches ahoy!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

The 8 bit rendition. BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:03 am

Pacific Rim theme, 8 bit arrangement

The video portion (only about 40 seconds long) is just a riot.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:17 am

Honest Trailers - Pacific Rim

Yeah, that's about right. :devil:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:38 pm

That made great laugh material for this morning. :lol:

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:02 am

Good, but they could have ripped it off so much more.

I'm afraid they'll never top what they managed to do with The Hunger Games and Titanic 3D.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Sorry for the bump but:

Guillermo del Toro working on 'Pacific Rim 2' script

Get Hyped!!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-guillermo-del-toro-working-on-pacific-rim-2-script-20140609-story.html

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:32 pm

I think I'll go and see it, if only to complain later about how terrible it was.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:47 pm

So more flat characters vs. generic monsters with no personality to speak of? Whee.

Return to “Film and Video”