Was every woman infertile at the time of 3I?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
jakewashere
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jakewashere » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Szmitten wrote:
goldentryst wrote:
Oh I see so there are souls of people beforehand meaning it's -kind- of like a 'destiny' planned before they're born? In ReDestruction I think people say the Chamber was running out. Did it and was there a first child without a soul?

Not in the context of Evangelion. I find the Chamber of Guf in Evangelion very odd and out of place since they don't take advantage of much of the original mythology about it.

I was always of the impression (probably mistaken, however) that Ritsuko thought Rei was the first person without a soul. This I got from her reference to the Chamber of Guf after she obliterates the spare Reis down in Central Dogma. The first living, sentient beings born without souls -- this is what the emptying of the Chamber of Guf implies, and they say that it's an early warning sign of Armagedon ahead.

Granted, they didn't rely very heavily on the mythology, but what can one expect from NGE anyhow?

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:20 am

goldentryst wrote:
cat42 wrote:
rurimoon wrote:One question, why is the Chamber of Guf empty when about 1/2 of mankind just die after 2I ? They vanish or something?

I don't think souls get recycled. The chamber of Guf is reserved for unborn souls, so for a soul to return to it would imply reincarnation, which goes again Christian-Judeo beliefs.

Could someone explain in detail - but not so much that it's complicated - what the Chamber of Guf is? Is it where the soul of the unborn are, or where some of the souls of the dead go?

Wikipedia wrote:In Jewish mysticism, the Chamber of Guf (or Guph or even Gup) (Hebrew "body/corpse") also called the Otzar (Hebrew for "treasury") is the Hall of Souls located in the Seventh Heaven. Every human soul emanates from the Guf. The Talmud teaches that the Messiah will not come until the Guf is emptied of all its souls (Yev. 62a).

In Evangelion the Chamber/room of Guf is an area of space(like the sea of Dirac) which the SoL have access to. In EoE Lilith's Door(s) of Guf appear as two slits on her palms into which all of the Lilim's souls are returning. They only seem to return to the Chamber as part of instrumentality and not as part of the normal course of events.
I suppose the FAR filled up all of the SoL with souls before sending them off to seed the galaxy.
As far as I know the mythological chamber doesn’t accept back the souls of the dead but I’m more ignorant than the average in regards to Jewish mythology.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”