Was every woman infertile at the time of 3I?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 pm

This is why I think she's talking about Adam's Guf if there is such a thing.

The Evas do not intrinsically have souls,
but human souls reside within them.
They were all salvaged.
The only vessel that contained a soul was Rei.
She was the only one born with a soul.
The Chamber of Guf had been emptied, you see.

NGE2 CI wrote:1. The Development of Eva (Eva no Kouzou)

C. Confidential Information

An Eva is a vessel for a soul that has abandoned human form, and a
magnification of the ego, i.e., the embodiment of a large human being.

Rei is a vessel for a soul as are the Evas. She isn't talking about Lilim in any way. The Guf she speaks of must be Adam's since the Evas are created from Adam. Rei happens to be a fluke. She was only born with a soul because she sucked in Lilith's somehow. There was never suposed to be a Rei Ayanami, Yui was suposed to be reborn instead, so linking her to the Lilim is barking up the wrong tree.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:52 pm

please recall that the Evangelion

Clone of Adam and Lilith

Lillim souls. Lillim souls come from Lillith's Chamber, right?

They really didnt touch Adam's to create the evangelions, no?

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:57 pm

InvaderRen wrote:please recall that the Evangelion

Clone of Adam and Lilith

Um no, Lilith isn't mentioned as a source for the Eva series. EVA-01 is a special case.

Lillim souls. Lillim souls come from Lillith's Chamber, right?

Note the word salvaged. They took souls out of their original bodies and stuck them in the Evas.

They really didnt touch Adam's to create the evangelions, no?

Why would they be using Lilith's Guf on beings created from Adam? Further more how would they? Adam's Guf opened during 2I and Lilith's during 3I. So which one could possiblily be empty?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Anon, please recall that Evangelions have bodies from Adam and souls from Lillim. Yes, they were salvaged, but they were still Lillim, no?

Chamer of Guf

Just to make sure we're on the same level

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:12 pm

You said clone of Adam and Lilith which is not the case. And yes I know what the Chamber of Guf is. The souls in the Evas already existed before the Evas were created, thus as far as we can tell there was no Guf involved. I'm not sure why you want to reach into the metaphysical domain to explain something that has perfectly logical social explainations. Not to mention it is implied childern are still being born while the Guf is suposedly empty, something that just isn't possible.

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:16 pm

we need a third person in here

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Ritsuko could be using that phrase as a metaphor. But I still don't know what she's trying to say.

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 pm

and a fourth...

rurimoon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rurimoon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 am

One question, why is the Chamber of Guf empty when about 1/2 of mankind just die after 2I ? They vanish or something?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:08 am

rurimoon wrote:One question, why is the Chamber of Guf empty when about 1/2 of mankind just die after 2I ? They vanish or something?

I don't think souls get recycled. The chamber of Guf is reserved for unborn souls, so for a soul to return to it would imply reincarnation, which goes again Christian-Judeo beliefs.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:25 am

cat42 wrote:I don't think souls get recycled. The chamber of Guf is reserved for unborn souls, so for a soul to return to it would imply reincarnation, which goes again Christian-Judeo beliefs.

However this isn't a Christian show. I'm pretty sure souls can't be ripped apart in Christianity but it happens in NGE. Souls switching bodies and so on. We know for a fact souls linger in corpses from Misato and Ritsuko being in P3II before they went sploosh. It's never stated what happens to souls after that, so in truth we don't know. There just isn't enough information in this area to reach any conclusions about what the hell Ritsuko is talking about.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:34 am

This topic is stupid...why or how would anyone possibly come to this conclusion?

(tl;dr'd the entire topic)
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
cat42 wrote:I don't think souls get recycled. The chamber of Guf is reserved for unborn souls, so for a soul to return to it would imply reincarnation, which goes again Christian-Judeo beliefs.

However this isn't a Christian show.

However, it is Christian-Judeo idea there in a manner that conforms more or less with the religious beliefs behind it. Ritsuko's speach supports this.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:We know for a fact souls linger in corpses from Misato and Ritsuko being in P3II before they went sploosh.

Which is further evidence to disprove the reincarnation exsisting in Eva. Souls are split, and harvested, and moved from body to body, but I can think of no evidence where a soul is truly reborn.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:18 pm

InvaderRen wrote:(can i have the Japanese passage for this? Im not great, but i know enough to figure things out if i need to)

"If you insist."

リツコ(OFF)「ここにあるのはダミー。そしてレイの為のただのパーツに過ぎないわ」
リツコ(OFF)「人は神様を拾ったので喜んで手に入れようとした。だからバチが当った。
それが15年前。せっかく拾った神様も消えてしまったわ。
でも今度は神様を自分たちで復活させようとしたの。それがアダム。
そしてアダムから神様に似せて人間を造った。
それがエヴァ」
シンジ(OFF)「人、人間なんですか?」
リツコ(OFF)「そう、人間なのよ。本来魂のないエヴァには、人の魂が宿らせてあるもの」
リツコ(OFF)「みんなサルベージされたものなの」
リツコ(OFF)「魂の入った容れ物はレイ、一人だけなの」
リツコ(OFF)「あの娘にしか魂は生まれなかったのよ」
リツコ(OFF)「ガフの部屋は空っぽになってたのよ」
リツコ(OFF)「ここに並ぶレイと同じものには魂がない。ただの容れ物なの」

Ornette wrote:Hmm, was it Fuzzy Chickens that called her mad?

Indeed it was.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I'm pretty sure souls can't be ripped apart in Christianity but it happens in NGE.

In Judaism (which is what we are really talking about here), souls are comprised of different components, the main ones being nefesh, ruach, and neshamah. And, no, they are not inseverible. See here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Oh yeah, BTW -- all this talk reminded me of this thread, which started to go into some interesting places IMO. The last thing kaos says encompassed one of my own sentiments (re: what Ritsuko meant by "The Chamber of Guf was empty"), but, strangely, I never got around to replying...

Check it out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

goldentryst
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goldentryst » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am

cat42 wrote:
rurimoon wrote:One question, why is the Chamber of Guf empty when about 1/2 of mankind just die after 2I ? They vanish or something?

I don't think souls get recycled. The chamber of Guf is reserved for unborn souls, so for a soul to return to it would imply reincarnation, which goes again Christian-Judeo beliefs.

Could someone explain in detail - but not so much that it's complicated - what the Chamber of Guf is? Is it where the soul of the unborn are, or where some of the souls of the dead go?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:42 am

goldentryst wrote:
cat42 wrote:

Could someone explain in detail - but not so much that it's complicated - what the Chamber of Guf is? Is it where the soul of the unborn are, or where some of the souls of the dead go?

In terms of the actual Chamber of Guf it's a heaven-like place where souls of people are kept before they are born. You get born, you get one of these souls: religously this is a way to make people feel that they all have a purpose. The chamber isn't infinite though, it will run out of souls eventually. Supposedly the first child born without a soul (can be interpreted as a still-born baby) marks the coming of an armageddon/anti-christ/messiah/whatever.

goldentryst
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goldentryst » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:07 am

Szmitten wrote:
goldentryst wrote:
cat42 wrote:

In terms of the actual Chamber of Guf it's a heaven-like place where souls of people are kept before they are born. You get born, you get one of these souls: religously this is a way to make people feel that they all have a purpose. The chamber isn't infinite though, it will run out of souls eventually. Supposedly the first child born without a soul (can be interpreted as a still-born baby) marks the coming of an armageddon/anti-christ/messiah/whatever.

Oh I see so there are souls of people beforehand meaning it's -kind- of like a 'destiny' planned before they're born? In ReDestruction I think people say the Chamber was running out. Did it and was there a first child without a soul?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 am

goldentryst wrote:
Szmitten wrote:
goldentryst wrote:
cat42 wrote:

Oh I see so there are souls of people beforehand meaning it's -kind- of like a 'destiny' planned before they're born? In ReDestruction I think people say the Chamber was running out. Did it and was there a first child without a soul?

Not in the context of Evangelion. I find the Chamber of Guf in Evangelion very odd and out of place since they don't take advantage of much of the original mythology about it.

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Like the emptying of the Chamber will herald the end of the world?

O wait, that happened...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”