Screaming?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:37 am

Trying to determine what type of scream it is is pointless. Gender is somewhat... fluid in Evangelion, so it's totally wide open. It could be male, could be female, could be a female pretending to be a male, or a male pretending to be female. Or none of the above.

If you think the dummy's backwards "domination" speech is more than just an Easter egg, they could be presenting the plug as at least slightly more sentient than it was in NGE.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:07 am

the one you HEARD SCREAMING is NOT the PLUG ITSELF...but the one who's screaming is EVA UNIT 01

it is because of they trying to put that PLUG into it....
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:the one you HEARD SCREAMING is NOT the PLUG ITSELF...but the one who's screaming is EVA UNIT 01

it is because of they trying to put that PLUG into it....

While I'm inclined to agree that the scream from 1:36:14 up to 1:36:17 is coming from the eva itself, the 2nd scream which starts right after the plug ejects at 1:36:19 and ends 2 seconds later seems to be coming from the plug itself.

The 1st scream sounds like a very inhuman growl fitting of a gigantic monster, which eva01 definitely is.

The 2nd scream on the other hand sounds to me like a male suffering from torture or someone giving birth... with a masculine voice. I am reminded of the film by governor Schwarzenegger "Junior (1994)".

Of course, we can't rule out that the sound is coming from a sealed cylindrical chamber which might be filled with LCL, so maybe it just sounds masculine due to acoustics? (which I admittedly know very little of)

To the others who mentioned "Colossus": Thanks for the heads up! I never thought of playing the plug activation sound backwards until you guys mentioned it. I was a tad lost wondering what "Colossus: The Forbin Project" had to do with the plug. I am enlightened!
she who throws dirt is losing ground

jota
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby jota » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Some seconds after the screaming stuff and right after Gendo says to try at 308, according to the sub i got, he says "Why are you refusing me, Yui?". That been said, it's my firm belief that, the plug is screaming, and why? Because, maybe the same way Rei can be cloned, there can be a clone of Gendo working as the soul for the plug, otherwise there would make no sense at all his question.

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Nope.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

jota
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby jota » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, but maybe the scream is intented to mean something that they will explain on the next movie or something. I believe in this thing I said, or another hypothesis can be hGendo himself screaming from his safa office that is something above the bacl of the Eva. I don't know for sure, I'm theorizing, the thing I can say for sure is that there's really a scream there, and it sounds human.

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:20 am

For the new fans who know nothing of the NGE series and don't want to be spoiled re. Rebuild, please don't open the spoilers. :)

jota's post(s)

Or the scream just hints at what the dummy plug is, a substitute for the pilots via
SPOILER: Show
use of clones
... and perhaps as a teaser for the new eva watchers/fans
(new fans: oh my i'm new to eva. cool, dummy plug!... WTF was that scream?!?)

and a reassurance for the old fans that the plugs are still what we remember them to be (sort of).

SPOILER: Show
Whose clone is inside exactly, we may never know.

As for Gendo saying something about Yui's rejection, he probably only said that in response to unit-01/yui, not accepting Gendo trying to get her to start-up.

We might be able to rephrase it as
"Why aren't you activating when I need you?".
And maybe even add
"Why do you only activate when Shinji needs you?"
she who throws dirt is losing ground

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 am

Well, yeah I noticed that it's a man's scream after all, but let's go to 1.11 and listen how our laser-blasting Angel does when she's about to fire its particle beam...

Screams like a banshee as it powers up.

Wil.E.Crazy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wil.E.Crazy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Is the Dummy system a clone in control in Rebuild?
I distinctly got the impression that it was some digitised means of control (what i assume to be a hard disk spinning on the back of the plug). is a digital synthesis of a soul out of the question?
Just keep struttin' in the face of adversity......

unit450
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 am

What makes me curous about it is that these Dummy Plugs aren't Tokyo-3 Nerv produced rather a Nerv location called Golgotha Base, and as far as I know out of Ritsuko's and possibly Gendo's monitoring/influence.

That makes me doubtful of there being a Rei clone in there. Since if Gendo has no direct control of it, he might not want a Rei copy around that could be out of control as a result from being used at some other base. Still I think there is something there, but I think its a 'corpse' body something made with just the ABSOLUTE neccesities needed to hold whatever compromise of a soul the dummy plugs use. For me I'm thinking the thing might be similar to how Keel possibly might be, some thing with mechanics spliced with organs, being scaled down and compacted to fit in the apparatus that is attached to the back of the pilot seat; or I imagine for this dummy plug it'd be outside the apparatus in just as similar a state.

What I thought this screaming was, is a result of the Eva's or well Yui's fearful rejection of whatever it is from her looking into such a thing's mind no matter how limited it might be; and rejections by the Evas usually result in pain on who or whatever is piloting them the scream being its limited response to that reaction(it might not even be conscious of its reaction with the 'body' doing it as instinct since its being ignored by personnel). Also I don't think there is a gender to the scream, since a thing like that may not have been made to have one. The scream sounds incomplete more like an animal's, being maybe it wasn't made with a proper set of vocal since such a thing wouldn't need them like the Evas.

Just my thoughts after seeing/hearing this scene as well.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”