Screaming?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 pm

i can't belive no one tought of that.....its clearly mini gendo clone inside the dummy system. Why you think gendo says, yui why are you rejecting ME ?
ANATA BAKA !?

0x2eleven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 0x2eleven » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 pm

In episode 19, when the dummy plug is rejected there is no scream, but when a pulse is "induced," Maya states that the effort fails. No dialogue in the scene specifies where the pulse is induced, but I have concluded that it's either in Unit-01, the dummy system, or in whatever technology is used to connect the two. If they tried to induce a pulse in the dummy system, maybe there is something living in there and that produced the scream. There is no mention of a pulse in 2.0 as far as I can tell.

I'm referring to a moment that begins at 13:23.
"Mankind fears the darkness and scrapes it away with fire to survive." -RikkyRikky Rei Ayanami

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 am

I like the idea the Dummy System contains chibi-Reis (see Q preview. I still think chibi-Rei's & RiAO = NME's take on Rei clones too...), not just Rei's pattern implanted. So yeah, I say distorted chibi-Rei (creepy!chibi-Rei does't look normal in 1.11, why should her voice be?).

As for Bardiel battle, I still it's Asuka.

Is the Japanese 2.22 DVD/BD script up anywhere? Maybe it says something about both screaming cases, at least the source (DP vs Eva-01, for instance).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 am

at the very least, I think we should rule out a physical kaworu-body being in the plug. That just seems like too big of a detail for ritsuko or maya to miss, even if it was made and delivered at another base. And if they were aware of a Kaworu physically inside, I wouldn't expect fuyu and gendo to be so shocked on their moon trip.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:50 am

Maybe.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

Is the Japanese 2.22 DVD/BD script up anywhere? Maybe it says something about both screaming cases, at least the source (DP vs Eva-01, for instance).

There's just a mention about screaming during DP starting. Without any comments.

As for Bardiel case, I haven't found anything interesting.
Last edited by CtHuLhU on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:39 pm

I agree with Edz, It doesn't sound like a scream to me either. Maybe the sound doesn't play right for me if every one is so sure it's a human scream?
It sounds like a mechanical hissing sound which matches the shaking and steaming dummy plug.

@CtHuLhU there's no mention of a scream in the script you posted. It says "warning sound" which probably refers to the alarm in the background.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:47 pm

I've long held the belief that the dummy plug is not just a normal entry plug with a dummy system installed, but rather that it contains a souless Rei as part of the 'fool the eva' plan. Installed in parallel with the proper pilot this is not a concern, but with just a souless clone in the plug or even the real Rei an eva can tell the difference.

So my point is they stuck some dude in there. Between Yui screaming "NO!" inside his mind and the dummy system trying to run things, he is freaking the hell out.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm

CtHuLhU: Could you please post the screenshot of the Baridel battle script as well? I'd like to see what the script says even if it's nothing interesting. Thanks!

NemZ: Yeah, I feel that for NME purposes, the Dummy Plug contains a soulless chibi-Rei too. Maybe the chibi-Rei could double as a spare Rei too, (though they'd need to age them first) and who knows how long that takes. OR maybe the chibi-DP Reis and Rei's replacements are kept separate instead of multipurpose clones.

Either way, it's nice contrast with NGE where Rei's thought patterns are simply uploaded into the system/plug while the spare Reis are her replacements.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't think it's a Rei in the dummy plug this time though; that is definately an older masculine scream.

Completely baseless speculation, but come to think of it where is Kaji when all of this happens this time around? Yeah we see him later on the side of the pyramid (presumably near the commanders?) but where was he during the actual fight?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

questforsteve
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby questforsteve » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:44 pm

When I first heard that scream, first thing I thought was it was smeagol so I blew it off as my brother watching lord of the rings in the other room. He wasn't, so I rewound to the scene and watched it again. I still think it sounds like poor old smeagol.
yes

http://www.facebook.com/stephen.mahaffey

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:26 am

Oh wow, i missed :facepalm:

Image Image

Image Image
悲鳴のような声をあげ、身震いするダミーブラグ

Here is the whole thing.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Meghan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Meghan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:08 pm

I was under the impression from my first viewing/hearing that it was a male scream and I assumed that it came from the dummy plug.
As to "why" . . .? I'm sure that it will be something that will remain unaddressed in the rest of the movies and will be totally up to speculation.
"I'd rather live in a world with people in it, no matter how stained it is with sin."
-Kouzou Fuyutsuki

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 am

CtHuLhU: any chance of a translation of the relevant bits? I downloaded the file and instantly realized that no, it was all in Japanese like your images.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:37 am

Just listened. It sounds like an unnatural grinding sound. The part at the end where it starts to sound like a scream moves in sync with the movement of the dummy plug so I think it is just the way it is scrapping against the side.

visionfactory
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby visionfactory » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:12 pm

After the scream we can hear....

Gendo: "Why? Why are you refusing ME, Yui?"

And that's definitely a human scream

View Original PostCtHuLhU wrote:Oh wow, i missed :facepalm:

Image Image

Image Image
悲鳴のような声をあげ、身震いするダミーブラグ

Here is the whole thing.

well... I can't read Japanese kanji

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Does anyone have a clip where we can hear the scream? Some people are sure it's a human scream, while others (like me) don't hear it.

The script posted says 「悲鳴のような声をあげ、身震いするダミープラグ」
"the dummy plug shudders and raises a voice like a scream"

So, it looks like it just sounds like a scream, and it's coming from the dummy plug and not something else.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:02 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't think it's a Rei in the dummy plug this time though; that is definately an older masculine scream.

Completely baseless speculation, but come to think of it where is Kaji when all of this happens this time around? Yeah we see him later on the side of the pyramid (presumably near the commanders?) but where was he during the actual fight?

Kaji in the dummy plug?
Oh jeez, I'm dying here...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:17 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Kaji in the dummy plug?
Oh jeez, I'm dying here...

complete madness fanwankage has that effect, yeah. :toothy:

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:complete madness fanwankage has that effect, yeah. :toothy:

It's my new favourite Rebuild theory. I rewatched the screaming dummy plug scene and almost spat coffee on the screen. :lol:
There needs to be some 'Kaji forced into the dummy plug' fanfiction. It's too brilliant a concept to die.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”