Notes on the "Barons of Hell" and other things...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:48 am

Good ideas. There is, however, one little snag. The Barrons of Hell are different from the Four Horsemen. The Barrons are not mentioned in the Bible, but in early Christian writings. They are described as such (and please understand that I am paraphrasing): A giant with one red eye, a beast with sharp teath and a horn like something out of the dark continent, a beast with two jaws and four eyes, and the last had a face black as pitch with unnaturally long arms. The Four Horsemen are described as four ridedrs, one on a white horse, one on a red horse (war), one on a black horse (death) and the last on a pale horse (plague/fammin).

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Notes on the "Barons of Hell" and other things

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:27 am

Mr.Guy wrote:
Now we come to the second of the four horsemen "And there went out another horse that was RED: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another (the red and white horsemen): and there was given unto him a great sword."
That is referring to Eva 01 and Eva 02 fighting (Shinji and Tabris). The Red horsemen was out to take away peace from the world, as was Tabris. 01 and 02 were meant to fight.

"power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another" this passage is saying that people on earth will fight and kill one another, because peace was taken away from them. It isn't saying that the two horsemen will fight eachother.
*insert cool signature here*

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Re: Notes on the "Barons of Hell" and other things

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:40 pm

Nephilim wrote:"power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another" this passage is saying that people on earth will fight and kill one another, because peace was taken away from them.
\

Isent that happening now ??
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:58 am

The initial post contains some things that I see as good connections and also what seem to be desparate stretches. Granted, I've been pushing the antichrist image of Eva for some time, but some things are what I call inevitable coincidences. If you use the symbolism visually, it will inevitable play out according to its original plan. It just happens that way.

Now we come to the second of the four horsemen "And there went out another horse that was RED: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another (the red and white horsemen): and there was given unto him a great sword."

That is referring to Eva 01 and Eva 02 fighting (Shinji and Tabris). The Red horsemen was out to take away peace from the world, as was Tabris. 01 and 02 were meant to fight

I'm surprised you didn't make a big deal about the more obvious instance of Red fighting White.

The third horseman of the Apocalypse rode a black horse. "And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances (weighing-scales) in his hand." He was told the weights and measures and told not to hurt the oil and the wine - Israel and Judah - the people of the 12 tribes

Eva 03, the black horse.

That adds a little bit of interest to the Episode's titles "Ambivalence".

the third horseman was told not to hurt the oil and the wine - the 12 tribes of Israel - but they have been hurt..

Possibly an attempt at Third Impact? Something designed to protect rebelled (Bardiel) in turn turned against those who it was to protect?

A sign of my density? I don't get it.

The sixth seal reveals the day of the Lord, which brings the Lamb's wrath to those on the earth.

This reminds me of Eva-00's and Eva-01’s compatibility test, before this, Unit-00 had only worked with Rei. But when the anti Christ (Shinji) was put into the cockpit, it went berserk.

Streeeetch, unless that episode has some predominant "6" theme, which I don't recall.

Jesus also had sacrificed himself for the sins of humanity. In a sense, he had saved humanity. Now look at what Rei and Zerogouki did. She sacrificed herself to save humanity in the battle against Armisael

This sort of thing happens in a lot of stories. It only seems like it fits better here because of the surrounding instances. It doesn't.

The Barrons are not mentioned in the Bible, but in early Christian writings.

I'd like to see these writings, as anyone has yet to provide the text.

Shinji is the anti christ... and a lot of Shinji's actions up until EoE are pretty un-Jesus like (selfishness).

Who says the Antichrist is un-Jesus like? Anti-Christ, not UnChrist. Shinji definitely fits the role of Antichrist in that he serves as a symbollic Sacrificial Lamb for the New Age (Rei being the literal one)*. Shinji's "selfishness" (which is an idea I don't really subscribe to) just shows that he's human. The entire T.I. sequence seems like a grotesque Shin-Seiki mockery of the sacrifice that Jesus made, and that's precisely the kind of cross that A.C. would find himself getting nailed to. Also, what is the New Age (in this story)? What is yielded? Desolation? Rebirth? People are still debating that one. The point is that a picture of cowardice is the exact reciporical of the "selfless" and "triumphant" savior, and reciporication bears more semblance than just off-scale difference.

Also keep in mind the world of H.I.P. It's a place where people don't begin or end, and where there is no suffereing. Instead Shinji decides that a world of pain and atonement would be the better option. Heaven and hell and the caution we should heed when envisioning either, plain and simple.

"I just want to see them all again."

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed."

*Why two lambs? Because one has to survive and triumph in establishing the atonement setting, and one has to represent the arrogant actions of man gone awry, and the destruction therefrom yielded; the very thing atoned for. Nature, esoteric goddesses from Black Eggs, it's all the same.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Eeeeiiiiiiii! It's back o_o

"power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another" this passage is saying that people on earth will fight and kill one another, because peace was taken away from them. It isn't saying that the two horsemen will fight eachother.

I don't see it that way :? . It seems to me like they were referring to the horsemen when they said that. Plus, it helps my arguement a lot better :oops:

The Barrons of Hell are different from the Four Horsemen. The Barrons are not mentioned in the Bible, but in early Christian writings.

Do you know of a place where I can view these? They'd be very helpful for my "article". I'm also quite curious, as I could never find anything other then Eva related things on the Barons of Hell.

The initial post contains some things that I see as good connections and also what seem to be desparate stretches.

Thank you, and I agree. The Rei - Lamb of God bit the most so, I believe. My post in rather poor though. I'll need to redo it sometime in the future.

I'm surprised you didn't make a big deal about the more obvious instance of Red fighting White.

:o

I was unaware of that. The thing was... I didn't even have a Bible infront of me :oops: (I don't even own one o_o; ). I worked off pieces of bible text posted on the internet. The sites I found had nothing on that... but it sounds interesting. I'll need to read up on that and include it later.

A sign of my density? I don't get it.

More likely my bastardization of Bible text. From reading that passage, I believed that the "oil and wine" represented the tribes of Israel, and the black horsemen was told not to hurt them (Eva 03 was built to protect the "oil and wine"; Nerv).

That horsemen in turn, turned against the tribes and hurt them himself. When Eva 03 was taken over by Bardiel, its new purpose was to destroy Nerv (opposite of its orginal plan).

Streeeetch, unless that episode has some predominant "6" theme, which I don't recall.

I can't comment on that, as it wasn't me who wrote that passage. If I ever do get into contact with him though, I'll be sure to ask him.

This sort of thing happens in a lot of stories. It only seems like it fits better here because of the surrounding instances. It doesn't.

Possibly, but that essay was lacking enough... any thing that possibly could help it, needed to be in XD

Who says the Antichrist is un-Jesus like? Anti-Christ, not UnChrist. Shinji definitely fits the role of Antichrist in that he serves as a symbollic Sacrificial Lamb for the New Age (Rei being the literal one)*. Shinji's "selfishness" (which is an idea I don't really subscribe to) just shows that he's human. The entire T.I. sequence seems like a grotesque Shin-Seiki mockery of the sacrifice that Jesus made, and that's precisely the kind of cross that A.C. would find himself getting nailed to. Also, what is the New Age (in this story)? What is yielded? Desolation? Rebirth? People are still debating that one. The point is that a picture of cowardice is the exact reciporical of the "selfless" and "triumphant" savior, and reciporication bears more semblance than just off-scale difference.

Interesting. I'll need to watch EoE again to get a better picture of this though. Very nicely done though, it does make a whole lot of sense.

Ever think of making an article like mine? I'm pretty sure you know a good deal more then myself about matters like this, you could probably expand on the general idea I stated better then I could... and actually have evidence to back in up besides a few quoted passages ^_^;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:37 am

EVA-04 is Yongouki, not Shigouki.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure you know a good deal more then myself about matters like this, you could probably expand on the general idea I stated better then I could...

Actually, for all the time I've spent discussing it and researching it, I really don't know all that much about Eva. I haven't got the patience to hammer out details that most likely aren't worth their weight in dental floss. That, and I haven't read Revelation for at least ten years. You'd think nonstop reading, though, would be enough to make it permament knowledge.

EVA-04 is Yongouki, not Shigouki.

BTW, I'm just starting to learn Japanese, and I've never understood why EVA-01 is called "Shogouki".

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:50 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:BTW, I'm just starting to learn Japanese, and I've never understood why EVA-01 is called "Shogouki".

Because it's written like this:

初号機

Why? You'll have to ask them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”