Rei, Lilith, and Quantum Mechanics

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:40 pm

asdfff wrote:I take it back. This picture

http://www.evageeks.org/episod..._C071_b_big.jpg

clears it up beyond a doubt. If this pic wasn't used before, I've love to hear where Shin Seiki might recognize the floor pattern from.

From the previous page of this thread:

Originally posted on: 13-Apr-2006, 13:10 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Hmm, wait a sec
http://www.evageeks.org/episod..._C071_b_big.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Quantum/Ep08.jpg]
I can understand the color thing being a lighting/artistic effect, but is the pattern on his floor supposed to be light-on-dark or dark-on-light? Anyone have any info on what color the floor and walls are actually intended to be? (I'm trying to draw it, and I just realized I have no idea what colors it ought to be...)

Originally posted on: 13-Apr-2006, 15:37 GMT

zuggy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zuggy [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I can understand the color thing being a lighting/artistic effect, but is the pattern on his floor supposed to be light-on-dark or dark-on-light? Anyone have any info on what color the floor and walls are actually intended to be? (I'm trying to draw it, and I just realized I have no idea what colors it ought to be...)

Theres this book on the comparsion between taoism and quantum physics, in that it says under a picture of a bubble chamber collision "This photograph, and other similar ones, has been reversed (in colour) to bring out the fine particle tracks more clearly." So it's more for practical reasons than anything, the black background with white is what the original photographs look like. Another thing, I remember another book that had the bubble chamber and that had numbers all over it, though it was only describing the process the particles were going through, how the kinetic energy had created new particles etc.

Originally posted on: 14-Apr-2006, 13:04 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

That is relevent, but I'm just wondering why if Gendo's office has a black floor with white symbols, that in other shots it looks like a white floor with black symbols. I guess it's probably a metallic floor and the symbols are just embossed into it or something in a way that plays with light, because it doesn't make much sense otherwise. I was wondering if any production drawings where the room's colors are labeled.
Still, taoism and quantum physics? What's the book, it sounds interesting.

Originally posted on: 14-Apr-2006, 14:31 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Probably "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra.

It's tosh, by the way.

Originally posted on: 14-Apr-2006, 14:45 GMT

asdfff [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asdfff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Shin-seiki: Awesome, all your manga scans completely confirms the quantum physics flavor in Eva. I'm convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt. I still have a question: What's the markings on the floor of Rei's birth-chamber?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b...R/Tatig/RoG.jpg

Zug's colored lines hide quite a bit of detail, but is it an...unused particle collision diagram? (Ignoring the square directly encompassing the birth-tube)

Originally posted on: 14-Apr-2006, 17:23 GMT

zuggy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zuggy [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

LuigiHann wrote:That is relevent, but I'm just wondering why if Gendo's office has a black floor with white symbols, that in other shots it looks like a white floor with black symbols. I guess it's probably a metallic floor and the symbols are just embossed into it or something in a way that plays with light, because it doesn't make much sense otherwise. I was wondering if any production drawings where the room's colors are labeled.

Yes, the floor seems to be reflective of light while the symbols don't. I think they are both black and the light in the room plays an important role in how they look. I looked around FGC and couldn't find any production sketches of Gendou's office. Image

asdfff wrote:Zug's colored lines hide quite a bit of detail, but is it an...unused particle collision diagram? (Ignoring the square directly encompassing the birth-tube)

I know your not asking me but it really doesn't look like a particle collision at all, otherwise there would be more lines all over the graph. The wobbly lines are just a fancy way of drawing a wave, similar to this:

Been trying to find out what the hell a pentagram with the letter T within it is supposed to mean (they are in the four corners of the diagram on the floor). At a guess it could be the tau cross... but why?

Originally posted on: 16-Apr-2006, 12:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 pm

zuggy wrote:Yes, the floor seems to be reflective of light while the symbols don't. I think they are both black and the light in the room plays an important role in how they look. I looked around FGC and couldn't find any production sketches of Gendou's office. Image

Well, you can always run it past me, and, depending on the state of my ADHD that day...

The only drawing in Newtype 100% is of the "other" office you see in #06 (not sure where else) at the top of the pyramid. I don't think we ever figured out where THE office is, but it's clearly in another place, since it offered a vantage point for Yui's delightful howling at the end of #19, and the top of the pyramid had been destroyed earlier.

If I find anything, it'll be on my poor neglected site... sometime. Obviously posted on the forum first, since that takes much less work. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Apr-2006, 14:56 GMT

guessWho [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby guessWho [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 pm

doesn't look like what shin-seki suggested to me, moar lik dis amirite?

how does quantum theory tie in with the idea of consciousness and the soul? loads of people have written about it already, example:
One of the strongest proponents of a theory of consciousness founded on Quantum Theory is Roger Penrose in person, one of the leading British physicists of our times. In his opinion, consciousness must be a quantum phenomenon because neurons are too big to account for consciousness. Inside neurons there is a "cytoskeleton", the structure that holds cells together, whose "microtubules" (hollow protein cylinders 25-nanometers in diameter) control the function of synapses. Penrose believes that consciousness is a manifestation of the quantum cytoskeletal state and its interplay between quantum and classical levels of activity.

same goes for the 'dummy plug plant' symbol

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2006, 17:09 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 pm

guessWho wrote:http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/Zugzwang-R/Tatig/038ddab5.gif

Not him, eh?

guessWho wrote:how does quantum theory tie in with the idea of consciousness and the soul? loads of people have written about it already, example:

There are drugs that have a side-effect of messing with the microtubules - but not of either causing loss of consciousness or creating zombies. Penrose's false syllogism

Consciousness is complex
Quantum gravity is complex
Therefore Consciousness is quantum gravity

falls in that form.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2006, 22:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Zugzwang, Dr. Hoffman, zuggy, herewegoagain, zug(?), and, now, guessWho. Image

New rule for ANF drinking game:

Every time Zugzwang violates the ban and creates a new identity, bind him and make him down 10 gallons of really rancid apple cider.

how does quantum theory tie in with the idea of consciousness and the soul?

Ask Anno if you must know.

Episode #20 [Platinum Subs]

Misato (OFF):
A plan to salvage Shinji?

RITSUKO:
That's right. That which can be called Shinji's life still exists.

Misato:
Now you're respecting human life?

RITSUKO:
We can't afford to lose Shinji right now.

Misato:
Well, I wonder?
Isn't what Nerv wants not Shinji's life, but Unit 01 as its tool?

RITSUKO:
I won't deny it.

IBUKI:
We can surmise that Shinji's body lost its ego border,
and he's floating in the entry plug in quantum form.

Misato:
In other words, Shinji has shifted into a form we can't see?

IBUKI:
Yes, the composition of the LCL inside the plug has chemically altered
into something very similar to the sea water of primitive Earth.

Misato:
A soup of life, huh?

RITSUKO:
All of the substances which composed Shinji are still preserved in the plug,
and what could be called his soul exists there as well.
In fact, his self-image is pseudo-substantiating his plug suit.

IBUKI:
In other words, salvaging him means reconstructing his body and
anchoring his psyche within it.

Misato:
Is that possible?

RITSUKO:
With the Magi's support, yes.

Misato:
Theoretically, right?
You can't know what will happen until you try it.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2006, 22:30 GMT

guessWho [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

I don't like apple cider.

Thanks for quoting the script. It feels like I'm talking to that chess master supercomputer Deep Blue here most of the time, as in, there is a formatted script for all my 'moves,' it's interesting to see what repeat-patterns come out of the responses from these posts so the programming becomes more clear in it's structure.

Always liked the set-up they had around Lil' Shin's entry plug during that scene... that reminds me, this post was deleted before so here it comes again:

If you go to this point in the show (episode 4) we see Rei's familiar lightbody scan. You can't see it in the screenshot here, but there are a number of targets all over Rei's body along the gridlines that run over her. Some of them are red while others are green, corresponding to whether or not her body is injured in those places. Anyway, it reminds me of acupuncture diagrams, if anyone here knows about this subject then are these points major nodes for the body/main meridian points? I once saw a picture with EVA-01 in bandages with various acupuncture needles, but I can't remember whether it was fanart or of the show's creators.

Also, in the same episode, if I remember right, Rei is waiting next to Shinji while he is in Nerv's hospital-regenerator-thingy (HRT). In a couple of shots through the glasses she is carrying around you can see the hospital equipment looks similar to that used to born Rei in the AEL. Wondering if any connections could be raised from that (is there a similar process going on in both rooms?).

I'm guessing you'll delete this thread while not deleting something like The Shadow Boner!! thread, lol.

So they have all this electromagnetic equipment surrounding the plug, that appears similar to older particle accelerators...

There was something else but it escapes me. Check this website out, may find something useful: http://www.ba.infn.it/~zito/museo/analitico1.html

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2006, 23:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Zweizung V.6 wrote:I don't like apple cider.

Interesting. I wasn't even aware of this...

Thanks for quoting the script.

I hope you're not being sarcastic.

that reminds me, this post was deleted before so here it comes again:

You know, this stuff of yours gets deleted for a reason.

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2006, 00:10 GMT

guessWho [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Please look at the sky tommorrow... and imagine what the earth looks like from up there.

Edit: It wasn't my intention to sound rude or sarcastic, maybe it sounded blunt to tuned ears...

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2006, 00:23 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 pm

guessWho wrote:It feels like I'm talking to that chess master supercomputer Deep Blue here most of the time, as in, there is a formatted script for all my 'moves,'

You are living in a simulation.

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2006, 06:22 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”