A few questions regarding the Angels...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

A few questions regarding the Angels...

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:08 am

Hey everyone, I just finished watching Evangelion for the first time and was really impressed. After stumbling across this site and reading the wiki for awhile, (which is extremely well put together, by the way) I've had most of my questions about the show answered. However, I'm still confused about a few things and I couldn't seem to find them in the wiki or anything. I apologize if i missed something obvious...

That being said, I know the Angels are trying to reunite with Adam so they can destroy all Lilith based life and claim the planet as their own. But why does this happen 15 years after second impact? Are the Angels working together, or are they each representing different Adam-based species that want to control Earth? Why are there 17 of them? I understand that Seele learned about that from the Sea Scrolls, but is there any greater point or significance to sending that specific number of Angels? Maybe I'm just thinking too hard but I feel like these are questions that should have been answered. Thanks in advance!

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 am

1) It took fifteen years because that's apparently the Angel gestation period. Some argue that they just took this long in the same way that it takes a human being about nine months to develop; some claim that specific events triggered this. We don't know the answer here.

2) The Angels... the best answer is NEITHER. They're all the same sort of life (that is, they can coexist), but they're not really working together. Each is a newborn child. Their goals are similar, and if one wins, ALL win (since Armisael seems to have the ability to make more Angels), but that's all we know.

3) There's seventeen because Adam and Lilith were required to make Angels and humans respectively (they're not like the other Angels) and the others... we don't know why there were so many. There could have been ten hundred, there could have been two. Presumably, there were supposed to be more being born later or created, but Adam went critical before its work was done. (From an out of story perspective, there were fifteen because that's how many they had time to cover. Originally, there were to be 28, but things changed as the story was told)

So, that's that.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:10 am

Alright, thanks!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”