Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am

I hope it's divisive because that'll mean it's actually a good movie. :tongue:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:I hope for khara and Anno-SAN’s sake it is though as it would probably cause Anno to retire if the movie isn’t acclaimed and is panned as not being worth the wait.

I don't think Anno could be influenced by the opinion of the fans, he is well aware that because of all the delays he angered the people who acclaimed his work, I remember that he had apologized the fans in an interview or in a conference about Shin Godzilla after that movie came out. Also Anno should get to work on Shin Ultraman immediately after the 3.0 + 1.0 came out, he may already have to work on it and I don't know it, I don't think he's going to retire. He will abandon Evangelion but will almost certainly use his art to impress fans of other works. If Anno again falls into depression it will be due to his personal problems, I am sure that any critical response to 3.0 + 1.0 Anno will greet us with a peaceful heart (and obviously with a full wallet hopefully) for having finally closed a chapter of the his life.Let us remember that being a director always means running the risk of seeing your work underestimated or not accepted if Anno was not aware of this, he would not have re-proposed his greatest work in a different form to what had brought him to glory and wealth.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I hope it's divisive because that'll mean it's actually a good movie. :tongue:

Hahaha I'm on the same boat! Actually, I'm not expecting anything really (besides it being, you know, fun). I just want to sit back, watch the movie and see Anno's vision unfold.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I remember the infamous time Anno said “too bad” to a fan after EOE, I imagine not only would it be the same response now to the delay but also the reaction to the film LOL

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:57 pm

"Too bad!" was actually regarding fans disliking end of TV (in contrast with EoE). But frankly, I don't think Anno will care about what westerns think about the New Movie Edition project. He's first and foremost made the New Movies for a new/the younger generation of fans (going by his statement, although all those junior high and high school kids are now adults :lol: ). And he's even requested for any awards/praise by the Japanese cinema groups to be on hold until this New Movie Edition project is fully complete.

It wouldn't surprise me that we'll see a lot more placeholder dates as false alarms by various theaters/websites. (Didn't something similar happen with either 2.0 or 3.0's theatrical release??) We just have to sit tight and wait until we hear something official, though—my hope is maybe Spring but most likely (late??) Summer, assuming COVID's various strains are under control by then.....
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I hope it's divisive because that'll mean it's actually a good movie. :tongue:

Ok Rian
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:10 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:Ok Rian

STOP. THE. STAR. WARS. COMPARISONS. Anno is a much better filmmaker than any of the people who created the recent Star Wars movies. Using the Star Wars sequels as a way to deduce what the final movie will be like will just lead to you thinking it's gonna be crap. I have faith that Anno won't churn out a Rise of Skywalker style disaster as the final installment of the Eva franchise.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm

I personally wouldn't consider TROS to be a disaster. Disaster implies both a significant loss in money, and critic/audience opinion being firmly in the negative. In reality, the film both made around four times its budget back, and is critically mixed. Not the response one expects from a major success, but neither a complete failure
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Well, I'm just saying that someone of the same opinions as HeavenPiercingMan would probably consider the movie to be a disaster from a filmmaking standpoint. I didn't like the movie either, even though it did good at the box office. And given that it's the lowest-rated Star Wars movie on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm assuming critics didn't like it either.

But I don't want to get into pedantics. Either way, I think we can all agree that Anno is a much better filmmaker than JJ Abrams.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm

I love how all 6 of the Disney Star Wars movies came out after 3.33, and it's already colored how we read the entire Evangelion franchise.

Like, okay folks, I doubt Eva is changing any of its plans just because Disney soiled the sheets at Mach 3 there for a bit.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:58 pm

I haven't seen one piece of work which Anno did that isn't controversial, it's sincerely very weird, it's almost like some people irrationally hate Anno movies even though you can conclude most of them didn't watch enough of it. Some people in the Godzilla fandom (which thanks for the American Godzilla is composed most of children at this point) irrationally hate Shin Godzilla for any particular reason, I guess it's so good it's bad in their eyes, the same applies to NGE in some anime communities.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:35 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I love how all 6 of the Disney Star Wars movies came out after 3.33, and it's already colored how we read the entire Evangelion franchise.
The "Anno = Lucas" thing began long ago, with the comparison then being to the prequel films (the one memeified version I recall having "Mari = Jar-Jar")
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:54 pm

Everytime I see someone unironically posting Anno = Lucas I add one person to the list of people I assume are stupid.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:20 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:I haven't seen one piece of work which Anno did that isn't controversial, it's sincerely very weird, it's almost like some people irrationally hate Anno movies even though you can conclude most of them didn't watch enough of it. Some people in the Godzilla fandom (which thanks for the American Godzilla is composed most of children at this point) irrationally hate Shin Godzilla for any particular reason, I guess it's so good it's bad in their eyes, the same applies to NGE in some anime communities.
EscapismIsBad As a Godzilla fan who love Evangelion, I can tell you why some people hate Shin Godzilla. The American fans of Godzilla are used to the idea that Godzilla movies should have to be 5% political drama plot and 95% Kaiju fights. Shin Godzilla shows us a version of Godzilla different from any other, the people who look at Godzilla only for the fights between the giant monsters will never be able to appreciate a work more similar to Evangelion. Personally, as I'm a fan of both franchises, I was pleased as I knew Anno would be imposing his art instead of pleasing the classic fans of Godzilla.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The "Anno = Lucas" thing began long ago, with the comparison then being to the prequel films (the one memeified version I recall having "Mari = Jar-Jar")

Haha! I actually remember contributing to that comparison. But ever since Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney he’s had very little input on Star Wars, which is the exact opposite of what Anno’s doing now by trying to buy up all his old IPs. I think the Lucas = Anno/Star Wars = Eva similarities ended right in 2015. Star Wars can no longer assist us in evaluating Eva. :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm

The Anno = Lucas has always shown to me that people need to watch more movies. That there needs to be a drive to engage with artists who make things that aren't just franchise films or already a party of nerd culture. It shows a lack of imagination.

Yes. Evangelion and Anno's work is a huge part of nerd pop culture. But unless 3.0+1.0 really goes full force on connecting things to NGE (which I doubt) the Rebuilds are not nor have they ever been analogous to the Star Wars Prequels.

Anno resisting/remaking his own work isn't new but is more akin to :

1. Alfred Hitchcock. In 1934 he made the solid black & white thriller The Man Who Knew Too Much. He was personally never happy with the film because of what he felt were limitations of money, limitations of time and his limitations as a then young filmmaker. After moving to America and making a few hit films and acquiring the skills he remade The Man Who Knew Too Much in 1965 and made several changes in tone, scale, tone and more. Both good movies and a filmmaker in dialogue with himself.

2.Michael Mann. In 1989, Mann made the pilot episode for L.A. Takedown which was to be a TV series about cops & robbers. The network didn't pick it up for series and a few changes were made to the pilot and it became a TV Movie. Mann was proud of the pilot but upset he wasn't able to acheive his full vision. A few years later after Last of the Mohicans was a huge hit he got the chance to redo his L.A. Takedown concept as a feature film. He went back to the drawing board, went back to his original, much longer script, and updated this. This became Heat in 1995, the Al Pacino vs. Robert De Niro classic. Another filmmaker working on the same idea to make two vastly different projects with some of the same characters (the Pacino role has the same name in both versions)

3. Howard Hawks. In 1941, Hawks did Ball of Fire. A great screwball comedy. It was such a hit that he remade the film again just seven years later as A Song is Born and now the film revolved around Jazz. The original was better cause they kept closer to the Billy Wilder script, imo.

4. Yasujiro Ozu. Ozu's A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) is a masterpiece. But, he was always unhappy about the film being in black & white and a silent picture. When he had a chance decades later in his career he remade the film with sound and in color as Floating Weeds (1959). The two are fascinating contracts because they were made near the start and end of his career respectively.

And there's others. Michael Haneke with Funny Games. Tim Burton starting his career with his Frankenweenie short and then like 30 years later redoing it as a stop motion feature. Etc.

There's likely hundreds of cases of filmmakers revisiting their old works again through years of experiences. Most are things like Director's Cut but often it's just taking the same idea and redoing it in another context. Anno's just doing the same under the Eva name.

Anno is in a dialogue with his own work here by adapting and redoing it.

Now if Anno today started putting CG enhancements onto the old NGE Episodes & EOE to update them to what is contemporary now and said "These are the only copies of the series from now on. What we did in 1995 is no more" THEN the Lucas comparison would work.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm

^ If anything, Anno’s Eva reminds me more of Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments movies than anything Lucas made, where the original silent film was a grand, sociological masterpiece, and the remake kept a lot of the same themes and characters but focused more on the spectacle capable with the newer technologies and bigger budgets.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:12 pm

I knew I was forgetting a big one! Yeah, the two versions of The Ten Commandments is a PERFECT comparison!

Lacissal
Lilith

Postby Lacissal » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:47 pm

On the subject of the Ten Commandments a massive, parting of the Red Sea scene would work perfectly in Eva

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And he's even requested for any awards/praise by the Japanese cinema groups to be on hold until this New Movie Edition project is fully complete.

I had never heard that. :0
That sounds fairly confident.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”