Do you Dislike Q?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Don't use child soldier if you're looking for professional behaviour, that's my problem with Anno instead. How can you expect rational and calm reactions from a teenager placed under huge pressure?

Yeah, this is the problem I always had with Eva. You cannot expect rationality and professional forsight from kids, much less emotional unstable ones like Shinji. To give him shit for going to the ends of the world, a world that never gave a single shit about him either, to safe the person he cared about and take a massive dump on him for it is incredibly spiteful.

I can see how people liked the more positive approach the previous Rebuilds indicated and dislike this development now. At the same time, Eva wouldn't be Eva without a healthy dose of cynicism.

As for disliking the film, apart from the obvious shortcomings, I can't say I do but it will take some time and multiple viewings to be at peace with it.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 01, 2013 6:14 am

Hyper Shinchan (actually Fireball but I goofed) wrote:Yeah, this is the problem I always had with Eva. You cannot expect rationality and professional forsight from kids, much less emotional unstable ones like Shinji.

But that's exactly the point, the world isn't fair but you still have to live within it, and you will do better by learning such rules as quickly as possible. You will repeatedly be blamed for things that aren't your fault, you will take the falls for what are ultimately other people's mistakes, etc. Shinji is not being judged for his inevitable errors, but we can still learn from his mistakes. This was part of the point of EoE as w--

Wait a minute... You didn't like EoE either...

It's all making sense now.

EDIT: Mistake noted, as pointed out by Fireball.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Sun May 05, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed May 01, 2013 6:31 am

I'm not too keen on EoE but I greatly enjoyed Evangelion 3.33. I think it was a lot more because I forced myself to get out my comfort zone so it made a bit easier to digest. The former was a bit to nihilistic for my liking.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm not too keen on EoE but I greatly enjoyed Evangelion 3.33. I think it was a lot more because I forced myself to get out my comfort zone so it made a bit easier to digest. The former was a bit to nihilistic for my liking.

Personally, i love 3.33 much more than EoE or NGE. :D

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Personally, i love 3.33 much more than EoE or NGE. :D

Me too! Like I mentioned before, NGE/EoE maybe the superior "product" of the franchise, but I have a soft spot for the theatrical movies, especially now with the release of 3.33 on home video. Still, as I say repeatedly, I do have empathy for those who did not like the movie.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:But that's exactly the point, the world isn't fair but you still have to live within it, and you will do better by learning such rules as quickly as possible. You will repeatedly be blamed for things that aren't your fault, you will take the falls for what are ultimately other people's mistakes, etc.

Welcome to my life.

I noticed this even before I've seen any Evangelion. And the only reason I didn't broke under it all and did not became another news about a madman killing a mass of people for reasons unknown, is that I have to consciously force myself, to remember, that everyone have a face of their own, and their dreams and lives instead of just being a part of a horryfic unjust monster in the facless form of "mankind" or "world". And that not everyone in that mass deserves the axe and if I would follow throgh with my impulse of "burn it all" I would become the same unjust force I hate. But everyone have a breaking point. I keep on pushing mine, but I have no idea where the edge is.

That's why I sympathize with Shinji and the feeling of unfairness on personal level, while I can't feel for the rest of the world that is such a faceless collective.

I see no point in making a hidden metaphor to tell people what they allready know, other than because movies where main characters fail and suffer are currently popular. Maybe because for some seeing others suffer is a perverse form of justice, that not only them have it shitty.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 am

What do you want? Pity?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:I see no point in making a hidden metaphor to tell people what they allready know, other than because movies where main characters fail and suffer are currently popular. Maybe because for some seeing others suffer is a perverse form of justice, that not only them have it shitty.

For whatever reason, Evangelion's bleakness has never really struck me. And that's because I always have this sense that things can still work out, that after the end, justice can still be done. I have hope that things will turn out more or less all right in Final, or will just somehow be okay. Sometimes it gets darkest just before dawn, and all that. To me, all of Shinji's suffering is something I can just watch and appreciate intellectually, because my personal head-story of him always includes a happy ending, some how, some way, pretty much no matter what happens to him.

It's series that don't even allow that which get me down and make me not even wanna watch. :(
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:What do you want? Pity?

No.

I just used my life as an analogy since I have no better example at hand.

Do you even have the right to pity me?
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 am

Analogy for what? Why do you even watch Evangelion? And why wouldnt I have the right to pity you? What do you expect from Evangelion? And why do you even call yourself Stillborn? It just looks like you're looking for pity. That name is so pretentious...

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am

:chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill: :chillpill: :(

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:always includes a happy ending, some how, some way, pretty much no matter what happens to him.

It's series that don't even allow that which get me down and make me not even wanna watch. :(

Texhnolyze FTW! I enjoy watching the really dark things, because they reinforce my happiness that at least my life isn't that bad!

(Actually, I'm just a old fraud, because really it's pretty good; though I never stop thanking fate for letting me survive several potentially fatal illnesses - TB, cancer, heart attack - over the years.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:But that's exactly the point, the world isn't fair but you still have to live within it, and you will do better by learning such rules as quickly as possible. You will repeatedly be blamed for things that aren't your fault, you will take the falls for what are ultimately other people's mistakes, etc. Shinji is not being judged for his inevitable errors, but we can still learn from his mistakes. This was part of the point of EoE as w--

Wait a minute... You didn't like EoE either...

It's all making sense now.

First of all you fucked up the quotations. Don't know if you are referring to me now or Shinchan, but I love EoE.

Second, there is life isn't fair, and then there is, no matter what you do you are always going to get the shaft, might as well just die and get it over with, because that's the impression one might get after this movie. NGETV/EoE was about getting to love yourself first and get out, live your life despite how much it may hurt you sometimes. The Rebuild movies however tell us so far, if you don't do anything it's bad, if you do something it's bad, if you try to make up for it it's bad. Final might turn this around again and give hope but I can't blame people for being nihilistic after this.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 am

@qu4d
I was so tempted right now to answer for your accusations but I decided to not start a shouting match. So to answer your only valid question

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Analogy for what?

I described how I feel about the whole "world is unfair" knowledge (Because I can be most accurate only about my own life so I used it as an example).
How does Shinji feel about it? Where is his breaking point? Does he have one and what will happen if he's pushed to far? In EoE he deliberately killed mankind (Rei talked him out of it later but still).

How far human can be pushed by the world before he try to escape from it (authism, madness, suicide isolation) or try to burn it.
Another jaded man.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 am

What accusations? You call yourself STILLBORN. That's a fact and no accusation. Why did you choose exactly that name?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Why did you choose exactly that name?

I had my reasons, but mostly it was fitting the mood. And why do you raging so much about it?
Last edited by Stillborn on Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another jaded man.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 am

Which mood?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed May 01, 2013 8:08 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Which mood?

Feel free to guess.
Another jaded man.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am

Your mood, because you have a low self-esteem and hate yourself.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed May 01, 2013 8:13 am

Would you two take this to PM? Pls? :facepalm:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”