What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 pm

I see a lone statue in the agora,
Of a to be forgotten empire,
Of a to be forgotten emperor
Of the broken Nikator's state
And as my bow, horse, truth flash in,
As my phalangites scourge the red earth,
I say to ye, Seleucids,
Where is your God-king now?
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:You are magnificent and have caused me to definitely resubscribe. Seriously hope they can raise the additional 99k votes before Friday, but I doubt it lol

68 hours to get 88k votes. It's doable. I wouldn't be surprised if the last day sees a burst in votes as everyone rallies to get through the final stretch. It'd be a shame to end between 475k and 500k.

EDIT: Sadly, I cannot seem to connect to the Classic servers at this point in time, so I'll just be playing on one of the member's worlds for now. We should go adventuring sometime!

Yea they've been having connection issues all day due to the massive amount of people trying to connect (or so that's how they've spun it). I'm honestly confused. The way they described this whole event is as if they stumbled across the archived version of the client when going through old servers. I just assumed that was bullshit (why wouldn't they have archived versions of the client backed up since launch and be well aware of that fact?) and that this was just a convenient ploy by the higher ups to make some more money by cashing in on the nostalgia. But they've been having these troubles on and off since they launched the servers, is it honestly possible they didn't anticipate legacy servers would be this popular? Does that mean that Blizzard honestly believes legacy WoW servers wouldn't be popular? If so these devs aren't quite as bright as I thought.

Anyway, I'm heading to bed now but I'll add you when I get on tomorrow.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 am

So I downloaded the demo for Gal Gun and this game blows Call of Duty or any other western shooter away.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 am

Got Metal Gear Rising Reveanganenanceanence and played it for a couple hours.

Something about this game just feels wrong. Maybe it's the fact the block button is the attack button and no matter how much I experiment seems completely inconsistent, maybe it's the fact the camera is clearly a third person shooter camera and for some reason flails all over the place when I'm fighting, maybe it's those scarabs which seem to be in every level, I'm not sure. I think it's lots of small things. Overall this game feels like in theory it should be amazing but something about it just completely irritates and underwhelms me. It feels like hack and slashers (or whatever genre you'd call this besides 'action game') of early this generation or the previous generation, but not in a good way. At least I'm enjoying figuring out what I don't like about it.

It's amusing that the Metal Gear canon has become so gargantuan and complicated that I feel like I'm playing a comic book story though. I almost expect little notes to appear in the bottom corner of Ground Zeroes saying get Metal Gear issue #154 for more information! Heck, they sort of did that in MGS4 now that I think about it.

Got Persona 4 Golden too. This is like the JRPG I've always wanted. I love the Silent Hill-esque symbolism stuff, I love the combat system, I love how there's so many things you can do in the normal world so that you really feel like you're building your own character distinct from anyone elses, I love that it's a game where I have to try and strategise against tough enemies for the first time in so long I can't remember, I love the art style of all the UI elements, I love how it's a slice of life show and a murder mystery and a JRPG save-the-world plot all at the same time without feeling disjointed, I love the music and probably a bunch of things I've overlooked.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Something about this game just feels wrong. Maybe it's the fact the block button is the attack button and no matter how much I experiment seems completely inconsistent, maybe it's the fact the camera is clearly a third person shooter camera and for some reason flails all over the place when I'm fighting, maybe it's those scarabs which seem to be in every level, I'm not sure. I think it's lots of small things. Overall this game feels like in theory it should be amazing but something about it just completely irritates and underwhelms me.

Parrying is super easy, you just have to point your analog stick to the direction of your opponent when it's "red eyes" flash and quickly press square. Took only 30 minutes to master it.

Camera controls aren't bad, though a little messy if there are multiple opponents. If you have problems with fighting you can press R2(?) to lock-on.

What you mean it was underwhelming? Too easy? You should've tried at hardest difficulty: Final boss is impossible if you don't have health kits.
(+ it is awesome as hell.)
The game gets better as you play it. I think it's one of the best games i've ever played. I'm already on 4th play through, plus i got the game few days ago.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

I like how they used the signature Longsword retreat slash move from Monster Hunter in Revengeance, from what I've seen of the game

Although both were probably inspired by real world sword fighting so nvm that

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

To quote my steam recommendation of Kentucky Route Zero:

It's a nice mix of a visual novel and a point and click detective game. The story is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's "Mrs Todd's Shortcut". Actually, come to think of it, it just feels like Stephen King's americana-style stories in general. It's got the recovering alcoholic, a rural area with a dark history, and a group of people with an interesting secret. The story is rounded off with a nice appalachia/ambient soundtrack, and I'm interested to see how the characters develop once the next act drops in April.

My only concern at this point is the length of the game. The first act is only about an hour long, and if that is any suggestion of the length of the following four acts, I'm not quite sure the $22 (soon to be $25) price tag is quite justified. I'd be a little more comfortable with something in the $15 range, but that's just me. Hopefully the second act will tell which direction the game is going.

If you're hesitant about the price, I'd perhaps wait for the second act to come out in April and for me to play through it to give you an idea of where the game's going.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Huh. You got waaay more out of Mrs. Todd's Shortcut than I did.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Huh. You got waaay more out of Mrs. Todd's Shortcut than I did.

Not really, it's just a neat little road story. It seems like Kentucky Route Zero is sort of shaping up the same way - it's a story about roads and the chance encounters that you make along them. Which is why I mentioned that it really felt like a Stephen King story in general, maybe a little of Mrs. Todd's Shortcut in specifics.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 pm

I plan on doing a let's play of The Punisher. Man, it's actually pretty fun and has lots of great scenes and moments.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 am

Welp, i'm back to Los Santos in San Andreas, and i'm returning as a god.

I have to admit that even though some of Toreno's missions sucked hard, most of them were pretty interesting. And while he was an unpleasant CIA nutjob, his last request ("Nothing, just go see your brother") Really changes my whole perspective of the man and in some ways make him one of the best/nicest characters of the whole game. That final scene really threw quite an emotional punch.

Also, i really don't get why CJ even bothers helping Sweet with his (small-minded/short-sighted in my opinion) focus on the Grove Street hood. Then again, i guess it's the path of least resistance.

By the way, seeing as i'm already on the last missions, do i want to make sure i have all the gang territories before doing any more "Sweet" missions, or would it be better for me to just leave them as is/no need to conquer the whole city?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Parrying is super easy, you just have to point your analog stick to the direction of your opponent when it's "red eyes" flash and quickly press square. Took only 30 minutes to master it.

Camera controls aren't bad, though a little messy if there are multiple opponents. If you have problems with fighting you can press R2(?) to lock-on.

What you mean it was underwhelming? Too easy? You should've tried at hardest difficulty: Final boss is impossible if you don't have health kits.
(+ it is awesome as hell.)
The game gets better as you play it. I think it's one of the best games i've ever played. I'm already on 4th play through, plus i got the game few days ago.
Been playing it more now. Probably getting close to the end.
SPOILER: Show
Just beat Sam. Fun fight.
The game certainly isn't too easy on hard mode. I agree that the game gets better the more you play it.

My opinion on the game has softened, but I still can't say I really like the game. I still don't know what it is. I still think it's the camera (seriously, why is it designed to flail around and completely switch direction in a fight?) I realised that a lot of the times when I was fucking up it was because I was fighting the camera as much as the enemies. I understand why they made the block button the attack button and really believe they did a sensational job of somehow making that work, but no matter how well they implement it it still fucks up in moments of ambiguity.

Also, the dizzy mechanic or whatever you want to call it is outright stupid. If the player has just taken a large amount of damage (ie they're completely surrounded and being constantly attacked) then making them unable to move for 5 or more seconds makes absolute no sense. Not to mention the fact it's the analogue stick you have to use to 'wake up' meaning that when you CAN control Raiden again you run in circles for an additional second or two because you're still busy hammering the analogue stick.

Overall I think the game is good, but just a couple of issues really get in the way of me enjoying the game. This is exactly the kind of game I should absolutely love, and in moments it really is and most of the time I'm thinking that I should be loving it, yet I don't.

Hopefully the rest of the game makes me realise what I've been missing.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Hopefully the rest of the game makes me realise what I've been missing.

Final boss fight will blow your mind. The fight is like ripped out from anime, in a good way. :3
Also, i recommend you (And everyone else) to buy "Asura's Wrath,"it's the most underrated game ever.....

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm

http://www.destructoid.com/deus-ex-human-defiance-trademarked-by-square-enix-247160.phtml

Hoooooo yeah.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/deus-ex-human-defiance-trademarked-by-square-enix-247160.phtml

Hoooooo yeah.

I never asked for this.

...oh wait, yes I did.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

\/\/00T for the sequel! I thoroughly enjoyed HR, hopefully HD will strive to meet it (and be even better)!
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Final boss fight will blow your mind.
It sure did. I never knew there were developers willing to lock you into a space of, say 6x6 then have the boss do an area attack 7x7 in size. Multiple times.
It's one of the worst boss fights I have ever played.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

I´m not playing anything right now, I dont have much time. But the last game I was playing was Final Fantasy VII. I´m on the second dissc. It reaaly is very good. And the story reminds me of Eva (The creators of the game saw Eva, I´m sure). I hope I can play all the games created by Hideo Kojima. I bought Metal Gear Solid for PSX some days ago. I also want to play the Team ICO games.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm

FF7 has a couple of Eva references. There's the "Magma diver, d-type equipment" thing,
SPOILER: Show
and one of the plans to kill... Diamond WEAPON, I think, greatly resembles Operation Yashima.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I also want to play the Team ICO games.

Yes, definitely do this! It's easy if you've got a PS3; just get the HD collection. If all you have is a PS2, you're going to have to search a bit for ICO. Or you could try emulating it since you said you use PSX. Either works.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”