If you could create your own character and put them into NGE

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

redbomb
Embryo

If you could create your own character and put them into NGE

•      
  •      

Postby redbomb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm

If you could create your own character and put them into NGE, what would be their name, their race, age, etc? Would it make the story more interesting? Are they a new eva pilot? What would their relationships be with the other characters.?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm

This belongs in the fandom section(?), but I'll go with it.

Name: Akim Ya'Ari
Birthplace: Israel (Israel belongs to no single race)
Relationship to other characters:

Ritsuko: Professional
Misato: Professional
Shinji: Professional/Platonic
Asuka: Professional
Rei: Professional/wishes for Platonic
Kaji: Hilarious
Gendou: Professional

I'm not good with stories, so I'ma leave that blank.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:06 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Birthplace: Israel (Israel belongs to no single race)

Lol at the Jewish State then, but the name is Hebraic, isn't it? I agree that this probably fits the fandom section better, sometimes I have some fantasies about a female Japanese-Italian pilot but I never really elaborated it because I'm not good at this stuff.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

inb4 thousand self-insert characters romancing Asuka/teh Rei

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I agree that this probably fits the fandom section better

The only problem is that nobody reads that anymore. Maybe it should be made into a subforum here, or perhaps it's subforums moved here.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 pm

From what I can tell, people do still read that section. It's just that an overwhelming percentage of those who read it are just lurking.

As for this topic, it's kinda hard to write OCs into the Evaverse in any significant role: readers are very quick to cry "wish fulfillment/poorly-disguised SI" at any OC that gets a significant role in the story.

I saw in a review on FF.net that two unwritten rules of writing an OC into Eva are not replacing or dating any of the pilots, which closes off pretty much any significance an OC can have, seeing that the story doesn't really have character roles not already filled by someone.

Which is why I propose that if you definitely want an OC protagonist, go with an all-OC cast instead. It gives you greater creative freedom.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Isn't this more something for the fanfic forum/wasn't there already a thread concerned with OCs?

The problem with those is that the readers come for the original cast, so your OCs won't interest them at first, and the worst you could do is to try to hard to make the audience like them/ get too escapistic there.

EVA pilots are supposed to be rare, so, better none of those.

Sometimes you just have to insert some for the sake of perspective flip/perspective in general, like, random bystanders, random section 2 agents, people who should be affected by various implications, barely-mentioned minor characters whom you "fill out" ... you might, say have a bookstore owner who initially thought his new blue-haired customer was a bit... off for the sake of having outside perspective on Rei, give Hikari's father a name and a personality to expand on Hikari, or have two random scientists who were involved with him talk about Kaworu for the sake of introducing Kaworu, have one of them seeing him as an unsettling monster and the other finding him to be a charming, cute kid.

Then there's proper, inserted OCs - I say those can be done right, and that this sentiment to immediately stop reading once one shows up isn't justified, but you have to do it right - the trick is to introduce them gradually, to give them only small, "non-threatening" parts at first and them gradually expand on them/flesh them out so that the reader has a chance to get interested in them.
As a rule of thumb, they should serve a function, a function that you can't just take a preexisting character or some extracanonical character for.

Or, put some characters in roles that we know some unknown NERV or SEELE personell must've filled.

In the project I'm currently working on, I've put in a few in minor roles, mostly to bring about certain Situations. And there's also that CI bit of Yui being from a family of conspirators. The plot bunnies that could spring from that, if you only made up those SEELE-affilated relatives.
That would be an opportunity to actually show the individual story and a possible personal reason for someone to follow SEELE's goals, give em more of a face.
Last edited by Kendrix on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm

lmao
Last edited by Clover on Sat May 02, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 pm

The safest choice here would be sneaking in another bridge bunny or a new classmate for the children. I'd go for a classmate, preferably replacing Kensuke because really, no one would miss the guy. I haven't thought of any details for the character, but pretty much anything is an improvement over Kensuke.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:EVA pilots are supposed to be rare, so, better none of those.

(In Dozle Zabi's tone) Once the Evangelion is mass produced we'll put an end to the rarity of the pilots in no time.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm

A Seele member. There are plenty of them, with no details beyond a bloody integer. And Seele is very interesting.

There is also a vast variety of characters who would not even interact with the central storyline or characters. A poor girl who never did hajj in Instrumentality. Asuka's Bavarian duchess ancestor who sponsored a crusade which found a half-developed angel under Jerusalem. A monk who tried to find out why the odder Jesuits were so obsessed with the shrine to Izanami near Edo. Dux Lactis, alien emperor, finding post-Third Impact Earth and wondering what the hell the Lilim did to their Seed. A gay romance about men working on a pirate radio ship who are randomly killed by Second Impact.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Once the Evangelion is mass produced we'll put an end to the rarity of the pilots in no time.

*snickers* Good one.

The way I see it, mass-produced Evas are not exactly a good thing. I honestly can't see Evas going anywhere beyond a limited production run; EoE showed us that the Harpies might have numerical advantage, but a competent pilot in a full production unit still mows them down like grass.

Anyway, back to topic. I agree with Kendrix in that stories where we get seven, eight or even more pilots are rarely good. Either the Angels are going to be outmatched in every fight or someone is constantly playing cannon fodder.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:(In Dozle Zabi's tone) Once the Evangelion is mass produced we'll put an end to the rarity of the pilots in no time.

Think of all the hot babes you'd have to sacrifice for such a project. I'd rather have a bunch of angst-ridden milfs piloting their children.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Isn't this more something for the fanfic forum/wasn't there already a thread concerned with OCs?
I thought there was, beyond the Lilin design contests, but can't spot any in the Fandom or Fanfiction sections.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:38 am

A better way to phrase the question might be "what sort of character do you think might add to the narrative of NGE?"

I've seen it crop up in fanfiction from different sources, so I don't know if there's something canon that I missed or if multiple people hit upon the same idea, but I think it's a good one.

Cultists. Specifically, cultists who believe that the "angels" really are god's messengers and that NERV is doing the work of the devil. Of course, they are dead wrong, due to a mix of zealotry and misinterpretation of code-names, but they still pose a threat, especially when they have an insider feeding them info, they make different attempts on the pilots and even make a laughable attempt to sabotage a NERV combat operation.

Of course, such an organization would be short lived as Gendo would have them squashed fairly quickly if they got within arm's reach of Shinji or Rei. But even if he didn't, it would provide a number of great aspects to the series, such as a view of ordinary (if deluded) people in the area and some prime opportunities for Gendo to fuck with Shinji's head even more.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Cultists. Specifically, cultists who believe that the "angels" really are god's messenger
Swarthy types shouting "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!" no doubt.

"Why are they shouting 'No! No!' at the Angel?" asked Rei.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:The safest choice here would be sneaking in another bridge bunny or a new classmate for the children. I'd go for a classmate, preferably replacing Kensuke because really, no one would miss the guy. I haven't thought of any details for the character, but pretty much anything is an improvement over Kensuke.

Am I the only one who really likes him? And Aoba.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Aoba is cool, if there was no Kaji he'd be the coolest guy, and yes, you're probably the one person who really likes Kensuke.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:39 pm

C'mon, comic relief nerdery aside, he's a pretty nice, savy guy. He's actually the most reasonable one in the bunch - as long as there's no mechas nearby, that is.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm

There's lots of character development potential for Kensuke.

In one of my stories I PM'd to Kendrix about, I have Kensuke admit that being a mecha fanboy is one thing, being actually qualified for it is another matter entirely. In this case, he still fanboys the Evas but when actually given the opportunity to become a pilot due to critical shortage of personnel, he turns it down specifically because he knows he'd never be as good at it as, say, Asuka.

Plus, he points out that while pilots usually get all the credit for a victory, they'd be unable to do their job without the non-combat support crew keeping their rides in one piece - which is where he comes in as logistics officer (I figured his military fetish would mean he has the mental faculties to memorize lots of small details).

As any programmer who likes his job can tell you, putting a videogame together is almost as satisfying as playing it. You still get to work with the object of your obsession while also leaving the rest to those who are actually better at those tasks than you are. It's a win-win scenario.

Return to “Fan Works”