Your Favorite Yoni

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 pm

View Original Postpen-pen wrote:Holy Shit! I didn't even see that(especially Vulva Palms)!!
All these 'sexual' reference... Are these intentional(any reference from the show's writers)? Or are people in these forums making it up / have their own interpretation for all these scenes... just to make an interesting forum topic (referring also to 'Your Favourite Phallus)???

No, I believe they're intentional. Hideaki Anno must've went crazy with adult references ever since this film became theatrical. Plus, I believe he wanted to make fanboys go crazy with their... well, you definitely get the point. Without all of this, we wouldn't pinpoint on these references... otherwise, the film would be a bit more dull.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:That's more "reproduction metaphor" than "yoni" (or, more loosely, "female genital metaphor"). [EDIT: OHHHHHH, the first screenshot. Nevermind!] But, incidentally, I hadn't noticed that one. Thank you! :toothy:

Yeah, tat first shot is the only one pure ..."yoni"? (Never heard that term before...) The following shots just elaborate more on it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have noticed the first shot as quickly is the rest of it wasn't present as well.

Also, I agree with Xard and NemZ. I don't think the scaffolding = vagina, though I did see where Reichu was pulling from when she first posted it.

@ REICHU'S LATEST PHOTO: The core almost always stood for vaginas, even in NGE. Other times it stood for the heart to some degree. (At least that's what I saw, what with it's placement and vitality to the organism carrying it.) Interesting how Anno used the same object to symbolize both the heart and female sexual organs. I wonder if they're linked, not just within terms of survival but also the heart as the seat for the emotions and how it's liked to female sexuality.... :think:

pen-pen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby pen-pen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Phew...! I think I need a drink.....
BOOMZ!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, tat first shot is the only one pure ..."yoni"? (Never heard that term before...)

Yoni is a symbolic representation of the external female genitals. (Since "phallus" doesn't have a linguistic counterpart that I'm aware of, we have to co-opt "lingam"'s partner.)

I don't think the scaffolding = vagina, though I did see where Reichu was pulling from when she first posted it.

Azathoth posted the scaffolding. I marked it up after attempting to see whatever Azathoth saw. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another subliminal women, but who really knows.

The core almost always stood for vaginas, even in NGE.

Wait, I'm confused. I was talking about how the core is standing in for a clitoris there. Sahaquiel's "vagina" would be the slit at the center of the chest-vulva.

Though, yesh, in NGE the core is totally yoni-rific. It acts as a womb of sorts for Shinji in #20, as well. (And I still think it looks like a gigantic clit here.)

I don't have any thoughts on the "heart" association at the moment, except that, if this is the intent in NGE, they seem to be dismantling it in NME. (See e.g. here, where Eva-01's heart is given big glowy emphasis and seems to be the target of Rei's head.)
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Yoni is a symbolic representation of the external female genitals. (Since "phallus" doesn't have a linguistic counterpart that I'm aware of, we have to co-opt "lingam"'s partner.)

Azathoth posted the scaffolding. I marked it up after attempting to see whatever Azathoth saw. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised

Ah.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't have any thoughts on the "heart" association at the moment, except that, if this is the intent in NGE, they seem to be dismantling it in NME. (See e.g. here, where Eva-01's heart is given big glowy emphasis and seems to be the target of Rei's head.)

NME seems to be changing a lot, as I'm noticing as I'm currently writing my ginormous essay on 2.22. (10,000+ words according to Office!) I think my theory holds in most of NGE's continuity, though. But I agree that NME doesn't seem to hold to it.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If you think of it, ep 10 is full of it - Asuka enters into a warm, enclosed place through a vagina-like slit...
She also has to wear clothes that make her look huge (= pregnant?)
I always saw ep 10 as relatively silly, but there might actually be some symbolism refering to Asuka's mommy issues/ fear of being like her mommy. She's also seen sexually presentung herself to Shinji in that episode (boobs pushed into face, she insists in wearing revealing clothes...) and we get a hint at her backstory at the end of the episode.
Anothing think that happens at the end is Asuka accepting/falling in love with a guy. ("You show-off" *sweet smile*), thereby accepting her role as a woman?
Who knows.

Even though I saw the whole yoni/reproductive symbolism in episode 10, I never made even half of these connections here. I think you may be on to something, Kendrix.

But wait, that would mean Episode 10 was really important to Asuka's character study... OH SNAP! O_o

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Now the whole scene setup, progression and all gives me the weirdest 2001 vibes
I had noticed it before, but, now that you mention it, it is VERY 2001-esque...

View Original PostXard wrote:I agree 100%. I thought those hills were ment to be boos and the field where light falls is basically the body (with sandbox being the womb)

Swing as clitoris or something is just too :freud: even for Eva
Hmmm, I always thought the swing-as-clitoris was pretty obvious given the placement. Now, Sanbox-as-whatever I never really read, and I don't think if they wanted it to be part of the genitalia they would've placed it in that relationship with the swing.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 am

Reichu, I bet that you could make millions manufacturing and selling vulva detectors. All we need to do is create an algorithm that emulates your unique thinking and observational skills, and then hook it up to a smoke detector or something. Once we make it big, everyone will start taking Freud seriously again.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Hmmm, I always thought the swing-as-clitoris was pretty obvious given the placement. Now, Sanbox-as-whatever I never really read, and I don't think if they wanted it to be part of the genitalia they would've placed it in that relationship with the swing.

Well in my opinion that picture ISN'T genitalia. I agree with NemZ, I always thought it was more a arced feminine body outline (under such view the sandbox would be just around the womb idea. It would make sense as this is the scene immeaditly after he has re-entered the "womb").

It's like people here are obsessed with vaginas or something.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:01 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Reichu, I bet that you could make millions manufacturing and selling vulva detectors.

Beep... Beep... Beep... Yup, definitely a vagina.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Well in my opinion that picture ISN'T genitalia. I agree with NemZ, I always thought it was more a arced feminine body outline (under such view the sandbox would be just around the womb idea. It would make sense as this is the scene immeaditly after he has re-entered the "womb").
If mountains are boobs then how is the swing an "arched feminine body outline" and why would it make sense to insert that in between the boobs and the womb of the sandbox? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSICAL I SAY. Although, perhaps I should rephrase: I think the swing set is the entire vaginal area with it coming to a clitoral point at the top. That would make the scene more about Shinji's life after birth, with his sandbox representing his reality (or perception of reality). Him building a NERV pyramid seems to fit in with that concept.

View Original PostXard wrote:It's like people here are obsessed with vaginas or something.
:|
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:27 am

I don't see why it can't represent both a womb and a vagina.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:I don't see why it can't represent both a womb and a vagina.
I don't know if :shakehead: or :freud: is more appropriate.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 am

Visually it can be interpreted as a vagina, but symbolically it's evocative of the womb. In essence, the scene can serve as a birthing/rebirthing process, which makes both interpretations valid.

I dunno, I may just be tired, or I may need to watch the scene again.
- Sachi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 am

You guys (not Muggy -- he's cool) are still using "vagina" wrong just to spite me, aren't you?

Now, since this thread is about symbolic representations of the female anatomy, this debauchery cannot go on. Therefore, the ignoramuses / I-don't-give-a-shit-ites among you will repeat after me until you cannot possibly get it wrong: Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals, vulva. Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals, vulva. Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals...

Imagine me emphatically pointing at a sterile anatomical diagram if it helps.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:50 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:]magine me emphatically pointing at a sterile anatomical diagram if it helps
"You lost me."[/Shirou]

Sorry, it just had to be done.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Ohhhhhhhhh. :duhme: I think I spot the woman in the image you refer to, so allow me to furnish a crappy illustration for purely educational purposes:

I think this is a bit too forced here, there's too much to draw in.
I think this is more Shinji's isolation/just an ordinary precipice - I do see it in the, uh, other pic, tough. The boob mountains in the background make it very obvious that this one WAS intentional...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Now, since this thread is about symbolic representations of the female anatomy, this debauchery cannot go on. Therefore, the ignoramuses / I-don't-give-a-shit-ites among you will repeat after me until you cannot possibly get it wrong: Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals, vulva. Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals, vulva. Internal genital tract, vagina. External genitals...

Imagine me emphatically pointing at a sterile anatomical diagram if it helps.

LOL Why are the metaphoric visual representations of the female sexual anatomy decidedly more complicated than the metaphoric visual representations of the male sexual anatomy? Not once did we have to discuss anything more about the male anatomy than just the penis in the phallus thread. Not even testicles. (Unless I missed that discussion.) But with this thread we have to discuss the vagina, the vulva, the clit, the breasts....

Oh, Anno....

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:If mountains are boobs then how is the swing an "arched feminine body outline" and why would it make sense to insert that in between the boobs and the womb of the sandbox? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSICAL I SAY.

yeah it doesn't aaaaaand

I didn't mean the swing though. WTF :uhh:

And the swing doesn't look like a [s]inferior feminine minipenis[/s] clit either.

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote: :|

what? :uhh:

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I can do one better.

The suggestion of the female body shape and symbolic womb there are all well and good, but am I the only one who can't unsee the goddamn SMILEY FACE?!
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:LOL Why are the metaphoric visual representations of the female sexual anatomy decidedly more complicated than the metaphoric visual representations of the male sexual anatomy? Not once did we have to discuss anything more about the male anatomy than just the penis in the phallus thread. Not even testicles. (Unless I missed that discussion.) But with this thread we have to discuss the vagina, the vulva, the clit, the breasts....

Viewed from external appearance it is much easier to see a phallus than to see a vagina. How often do you get to see a real vagina, to be honest? Labia majora, labia minora and clitoris yes, but not vagina...

To some anything that has a length to width ratio of more than 5 or so is seen as a phallus reference... Female anatomy needs more effort it seems..
Last edited by symbv on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”