What kind of fan are you?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:55 pm

My heart grew three sizes when I let Asuka in and made her the troubled little sister I never had.

you...your the grinch aren't you?! Were actually in the EGf christmas special right now aren't we? Well strap on that red nose of yours, because we need to deliver beer to Misato in this fog.

Anyway what sort of fan am I? Dunno really. Used to be one of those people who'd go around buying eva stuff, but then I realized gainax sold out and I stopped doing that for the most part. I think I'm one of those strange fans who makes people think evangelion fans are strange, yeah that's right, I represent!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:59 pm

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:I suppose you could say I'm of the view that the Eva characters see themselves as actors, playing roles of being tragic. It's sort of a hybrid fourth-wall illusion: I like to picture them as real people on a TV show who can go home and unwind at the end of the day. It actually helps my sense of illusion if I consider them real and contemporary so I could go visit them if I wanted to. That's why I don't have a problem with the Raising Project, or the dating sims, or other less-serious Eva material. To me, the characters have their natural personalities that always shine through no matter what they're doing, and they themselves understand not to take it all too seriously. In that way, I believe, it makes them more grandiose and powerful than if they were pigeonholed into just one continuity. Some people would call that being a "casual" fan, but I see it as the opposite.

Looks like someone watched a lot of Looney Tunes before writing this post. That doesn't mean we should disregard it though... :kaos_teehee:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Zan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Ever since I took a couple honors English courses in high school that focused on looking at literature analytically, I pick apart almost all media I consume. NGE became a favorite of mine because I could "pull it apart" so to speak and give my brain something to do during the day's more menial tasks. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm "obsessed", more that I view NGE as both good brain exercise in the form of a character study with some giant robot fighting sprinkled on top for flavor.

Oh, and I almost cried when Asuka died in EoE =( (edit: Hope I didn't spoil that for anyone)
I wish LCL could be grape-flavored

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 am

I'd say Casual to Semi-casual\Moderate Fan.

I've watched & read pretty much anything Eva, I like to buy Eva Memrobelia, I get hard over Rei & Asuka (.......wait wat? >_>), but i don't tend to over analyze NGE as a whole. In the end it's just a Anime\Manga that we are all fans of, Nothing more, nothing less. I find it hard to believe all these people that say NGE has got them through rough patches in their life. For about about the last 7 or 8 years my whole life has been one big rough patch (depression, anxiety etc) & while it has been good to turn to NGE as some form of temporary escape from reality, that is all it ever was.

TheGubru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheGubru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 am

I´m a very casual fan, i've watched all the neon genesis episodes twice, the end of evangelion 3 times, rebuild of evangelion 1.11 , 2.22 and waiting patiently for the 3.33. I also readed the traduced spanish scripts.
You hate Evangelion or you love it , thats all .

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:10 pm

By refusing to view Evangelion at any screen below 70 inches, and by considering it the greatest anime of the greatest anime of all time,.. I'd say I'm a pretty big fan at the least.
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

SeveredGrind
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeveredGrind » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Evangelion is the only anime that's ever compelled me to go out and buy one of the box sets after only seeing 10 episodes. I love it but wouldn't say obsessed.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:52 pm

How big of a fan I am depends on what mood I am in. I used to be into discussing and analyzing the themes in depth and picking apart all the obscure details of the series, but I eventually found that the more effort I put into dissecting the series, the less enjoyment I was getting out of it. In a vain attempt to understand the series on a deeper level, I was forgetting why I even liked it in the first place. For a long time I decided to stop and take a break from my Eva geekery, and eventually returned with a much more relaxed attitude. I recognize that just like all the other geeky stuff I'm into it's not a spotless lamb, but I enjoy it for the characters and story, and that's ultimately what I'm looking for when I end up being a fan of something.

Like all of my rotating fandoms there are times when I'll be really into Eva and times where I'm more interested in something else, but at the end of the day Evangelion is my favorite Anime series, and the first anime that I really got into. Also, Asuka was my first cartoon crush. ^_^
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I love it, but I'd still refer to myself as a casual fan that’s seen the canonical anime, read a few things online, and is only now getting started on the manga.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

bananafaerie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bananafaerie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I really liked it. I watched the anime, EoE, and Rebuild, read the manga, and bought a couple keychains of it. But I never really got into the in-depth analysis that some people participate in, and I'll get pissed off if people flame it(without actual justification). So I'd say I'm a pretty big fan.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

henna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby henna » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:48 am

Dangerously obsessed. I love Eva to bits in most of its incarnations. CONTRADICTIONS BE DAMNED, IT'S TOO FUN.
APOTHEOSIS EVANGELION - SET THINE HOUSE IN ORDER

I don't post very often.

Sanger Zonvolt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanger Zonvolt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 am

I would say I'm a former hardcore now somewhere between hardcore and casual. Asuka was one of my first favorite pilots when getting into the mecha genre.

I used to be a huge fan that thought it was the most complex anime I've ever seen, 10 years later now that I'm more experienced with anime in general I know better.

It's still a favorite in my heart, much like Gundam Wing and Dragonball, it shaped my childhood so I will always love it, while still enjoying more complex things like Ghost in the Shell, Legend of Galactic Heroes, and Serial Experiments Lain.

Rebuild has especially revitalized what I loved about the series and what I imagined I wanted to see more in the series, because I loved the Evas themselves most about the series, but felt they were never used to the full potential and I love collecting them.

I'm also only into canon, fanfiction/doujins/non-canon spin offs I feel would ruin my outlook of the series and I avoid them at all cost, which a lot of them don't even have the main aspect of the series, the Evangelions. :eva01_roar:
I am Sanger, Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that cleaves evil!

The Mari fan

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:18 am

i do prefer myself as a guy who likes REALISTIC FUTURE WEAPONRY
SPOILER: Show
comparing to the gundam's CHARGE PARTICLE [SH'T] im sick and tired of always hearing such crap....

a mecha fan
evangelion is unique for me (because of its Bio-mechanic properties)
unlike to other model's 'old school NERVES OF STEEL'

its story
(Shinji and I had the same EMO side though haha!)

and the IMBA battle scenes that mangles every enemy
(just like what im doing to my Hostile Race in game LOL)
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 pm

View Original PostZan wrote:Oh, and I almost cried when Asuka died in EoE =( (edit: Hope I didn't spoil that for anyone)

Oh, come on. She got better.

As for me I first saw NGE nearly a decade ago and was satisfied with it. I got back into it more recently and fell into full-blown obsession. Nowadays I'm mostly reading fanfics and posting here.

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm a fairly casual fan (don't bother with much beyond the original series, EoE and the Rebuild films), but NGE has been a constant source of fascination for me after I first saw it 5 or so years ago. Probably what draws me in the most is just how many unanswered questions there are in the series, there's so many different interpretations that decoding the plot is quite the entertaining challenge in of itself.

The characters are intriguing of course, sometimes mirroring our own personal demons and allowing us to understand ourselves that much better. But there are still several enigmatic characters as well (Rei & Yui being the most prominent of which), and it's figuring out how they tick is yet another challenge.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, as a whole, is a giant puzzle to me. I could say the same about human nature, the world, and even the whole of the universe as well. And while we all want the answers, it's getting to them which is the most fun.

Not quite sure what kind of fan that makes me, it's a bit more than the casual viewer but it's strictly intellectual (and to a lesser extent, emotional).
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:57 pm

View Original PostZan wrote:
Oh, and I almost cried when Asuka died in EoE =( (edit: Hope I didn't spoil that for anyone)

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASUKA-TAKUS FTW!!!!! :cheers:

die-yng
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby die-yng » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 am

View Original PostZan wrote:Oh, and I almost cried when Asuka died in EoE =( (edit: Hope I didn't spoil that for anyone)

Totally normal reaction.

I was a big fan of Evangelion, ages ago (yes, sadly I'm that old my profile is right). Probably up until the series was first shown in german television.
I guess at that time the rather confusing and bleak ending (I actually hadn't manage to find all episodes prior to it and saw it for the first time), threw me of a bit. EoE's ending was more likeable but still..

Since I'm a fan of tons of stuff (SF in general, Star Wars probably too much, US comics, etc..) I hsd enough other things to fill my free timeslots.

At the moment I'm in bad health and have to stay in house mostly, so I had a lot of time and decided to watch NGE again and now I can't believe both, that I managed to keep away from it that long and how important it has become again.

I'm replacing my old vhs with DVD's now and I plan on buying a few pieces of Asuka Merchandise, 'though better nothing kinky, as I could get in trouble for that....

Still waiting with judgement on Rebuild 'til it is finished, but so far 2.22 sucks!

xuefranklin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xuefranklin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:53 am

Although I only started getting into Eva last year (I saw the show when I was five but only really got into it later on) I would consider myself a pretty big fan. Sometimes I would spend days inside just watching Eva over and over and over again, trying to soak in every single detail.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 am

View Original Postdie-yng wrote:Totally normal reaction.

I concur. I don't think I've ever (even on the dozen-or-so reruns after the first time) been able to watch that without a tear or two. Probably still would again, seeing as how the last run-though was quite some time ago.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:17 pm

I would think that I'm a pretty big fan: way more than casual, but not fanboy-otaku-hardcoreness. I started out obsessed with NGE, but that's lessened over the years. I watch the series as often as I need to, and can empathize with many of the characters (at one point I tried to find similarities between myself and characters in NGE), and own a few action figures myself.
I find it quite fun to dissect the series, and that's why I come here (and, of course, because of all the colorful personalities here). I think that I like NGE so much because of its different appeal. It's not explosion-fighting-boom-boom like some other anime; it's actually deep, and it makes you think. I'm fond of other anime too, but I'd have to say that NGE is certainly one of the best.
Last edited by AshPhoenix on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Return to “Fan Works”