IGN's Top 25 Anime Characters of All Time list

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:46 am

Axell wrote:naruto made the list. I think that voids the legitimacy of the entire thing

Thank you. :smirk:

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I don't trust IGN's top lists. They messed up the 100 animated list: good to see NGE #10, but DBZ as 78? EPIC FAIL.

On the top 25 anime characters list, #25 Shinji? Were they idiots when they made that list?

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

tomrule123 wrote:I don't trust IGN's top lists. They messed up the 100 animated list: good to see NGE #10, but DBZ as 78? EPIC FAIL.

On the top 25 anime characters list, #25 Shinji? Were they idiots when they made that list?

Nah. They just don't know much about anime
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm

"You can't spell ignorant without IGN"

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 pm

That list is very PressReleaseNetwork-ish...
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:00 pm

I wonder how they decided on this order & picking. It looks pretty damn arbitrary to me.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm

It's incredibly arbitrary.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Course, it ends up being based on IGN's opinion rather than the true fans' opinion. I wonder if the public is allowed to vote on IGN's top lists. If they do, we all would make Shinji in a higher ranking
SPOILER: Show
Think about it: the fact that he never gave up fighting inside an EVA, defeatng many giant monsters and facing a giant Rei all alone without back-up took a helluva lot of guts to face. Plus, on top of that, he witnessed his mother dying; then Gendo Ikari stopped giving care to his own son after that incident, but ended up using Shinji as a tool for NERV and cares more on Rei than Shinji (real reason comes later in the show). This is why Shinji is, what IGN refers him to but I won't consider calling him that, "a giant wuss", because his life was a shatter and is afraid of his future. This also become a life or death situation. I would commit suicide if that were to happen. (not really) I'm even surprised that a 14 year old is doing an adult's job. Shame on IGN for not fully realizing this.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:11 pm

There's a reason lists are in general a joke and this is why. When you start putting things in order of quality it's only natural people will disagree.

I'm sure if we were to go to a different anime forum- let's say that crappy moeblob Lucky Star- I'm sure there's people there whining how IGN didn't put one of their characters at the top of the list.

Just enjoy lists for the relatively stupid thing they are. Really the best thing to come out of lists is informing people of things they weren't aware of.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:34 pm

This was done by professionals?

I know IGN is incredibly biased, but this seems like it was designed with endless argumentation in mind.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:When you start putting things in order of quality it's only natural people will disagree.
It'd just be nice to know what the criteria were. It can't be by basis of impact nor solely on popularity, since I can think of a few characters right off that would have been on THAT list, and it can't be on how original, controversial, etc either. If it was some strange mish-mash of criteria then it'd be great if they spelled out how they factored all this stuff into play, but really, the whole list looks incredibly arbitrary and based solely on "what the (most of) the fans probably think", along with spattering a few old sk00lers like Lupin, Astro Boy, and Speed Racer in as an attempt to provide some misplaced sense of validity that the list obviously lacked.

all they said was
Our criteria for selection involved a little bit of everything – each character's lasting fame, the impact they had on the medium and their particular genre at the time, the depth and quality of their realization on screen, and of course, a little bit of personal taste. Everyone out there has their own damned opinion, of course, so have a look at ours, and then feel free to share yours afterwards.
...which really doesn't say anything at all. I don't mean to shit on "greatest thing evar lists", but really, this one is so much of a joke that it's rediculous.

ran1 wrote:This was done by professionals?
:shrug: IGN created & compiled it, so it wasn't just some fan vote thing if that's what you're asking. What kind of professionals are you looking for?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Merridian wrote: IGN created & compiled it, so it wasn't just some fan vote thing if that's what you're asking. What kind of professionals are you looking for?

I wasn't sure if it was done by the editors of the site or the IGN members.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:00 pm

looks like the editors did.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 am

Yeah, Shinji's best moment was Shamshel because the two berserker attacks don't count. That was the battle that made me go "cool".

DBZ was what made me go "meh" to all anime until I watched NGE.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”