[MUSIC] Classical music in Eva

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

[MUSIC] Classical music in Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:53 pm

I'm trying to compile a list of all uses of classical music (compositions by Bach, Beethoven, etc-- not original music by Shiro) in the Eva TV and films and where they appear in the show and on the various OSTs. Are there any existing resources on this before I start popping in my discs?

Thanks--

Nasmoe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nasmoe » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:11 pm

http://www.elorhe.com/JBE/music.html
I think that should help
I want a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.....FOR FREE!-unforgivable

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:50 pm

There are also a few that briefly show up in Death. The Death OST should have them listed, I remember something by Dvorak.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:03 am

Should be complete. In order of appearance.

Episode - Title - Scene - Soundtrack

• #15 - Wedding March - Misato's friend's wedding - never released on an NGE album, to my knowledge
  • #15 - F-3 TAKE 2 [CHILDHOOD MEMORIES, SHUT AWAY]* - Shinji playing the cello - TV-III
  • #22 - CHORUS : Hallelujah (MESSIAH) - Arael mind-hax Eva-02 & Asuka - ADDITION
  • #22 - CHORUS : Worthy is the Lamb...Amen (MESSIAH) - Eva-00 gets the Spear and puts Arael down - ADDITION
  • #24 - 4th Mov : Presto (SYMPHONY No.9 IN D MINOR Op.125 "CHORAL") - Shinji listening to his SDAT near the gate - ADDITION
  • #24 - 4th Mov : Presto (SYMPHONY No.9 IN D MINOR Op.125 "CHORAL") - most of the second half of the episode - ADDITION
  • #25 - 4th Mov : Presto (SYMPHONY No.9 IN D MINOR Op.125 "CHORAL") - opening scene re: Kaworu's death - ADDITION
  • DEATH - Suiten für Violoncello solo Nr.1 G-dur, BWV. 1007 1.Vorspier - Shinji at the title - DEATH
  • DEATH - DVORÁK: Original Complete Version - Shinji's second solo - DEATH
  • DEATH - Partita III für Violino solo E-dur, BWV. 1006 3.Gavotte in Rondo - Asuka's solo - DEATH
  • DEATH - Kanon D-dur (Quintet, no cembalo) [Kanon D-dur (Quartet)] - The school, and Toji lazing around - DEATH
  • DEATH - 4th Mov : Presto (SYMPHONY No.9 IN D MINOR Op.125 "CHORAL") - big Kaworu scene from #24 - ADDITION
  • DEATH - Kanon D-dur (normal) [Kanon D-dur (Strings Orchestra)] - end credits - DEATH
  • Episode #25' - II Air [ORCHESTRAL SUITE No.3 in D Major, BWV.1068] - Eva-02 vs. Eva Series ~ Gendo & Ritsuko - EoE
  • Episode #26' - Jesus bleibet meine Freude [Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben BWV.147] - live action sequence - EoE
  • Episode #26' - Jesus bleibet meine Freude [Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben BWV. 147] (Strings) - end credits (only on the version of episode #26' released on the Japanese "Genesis" volumes) - S2 Works

*I had this down at one point as a classical piece, but I can't find the relevant notes at the moment. AchtungAffen made the original observation, if memory serves.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Reichu, you amaze me. Thank you.

I've been wondering about the specific recordings used in the show-- what conductors and orchestras recorded the versions used in Eva? Do the liner notes to the OSTs or ending credits to the show/films list them?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:04 am

Addition (my bootleg copy that I didn't realize was such ^^; ) has notes about Ode to Joy and the Hallelujah chorus in terms of what orchestra preformed those... I think it says something about the conductor too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:43 am

@Otaprince: You're welcome.

The back of the ADDITION booklet refers to two classical music recordings:

GEORGE FRIDERIC HANDEL: MESSIAH (COMPLETE)
Conducted by JOHANNES SOMARY
ENGLISH CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
OVC 4018/9 (Vanguard Classics)

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN: SYMPHONY No.9
Conducted by ALEXANDER RAHBARI
BRTN PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA, BRUSSELS
DICD 920151 (DISCOVER INTERNATIONAL)

The piano arrangement of "Jesus bleibet" used in EoE is credited to Jan Panenka. For everything else released to an NGE soundtrack, Sagisu did the arrangement and none of the musical performers are credited anywhere (AFAIK).

And it turns out that "F-3 TAKE 2 [CHILDHOOD MEMORIES, SHUT AWAY]" is the same piece as "Suiten für Violoncello solo Nr.1 G-dur, BWV. 1007 1.Vorspier" [sic] by Bach. In English, "Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, 1st movement - Prelude".
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:34 am

Interesting-- I was wondering particularly about Beethoven's Ninth, which, like Eva, is a piece people obsess over. It has been recorded a billion times and everyone seems to have their own favorites and strongly-held opinions.

There is a little information about Alexander Rahbari and the BRTN Philharmonic Orchestra Brussels floating around the net. This seems to be the recording itself. The takeaway is this:

There are many widely acknowledged "great" and "famous" recordings of Beethoven's Ninth, by such famous conductors as Herbert von Karajan, Georg Solti, etc ad nauseum, but Eva licensed a budget-label recording of Beethoven's Ninth by a conductor and orchestra that's not internationally well-known, presumably for budget reasons. Maybe in Rebuild they'll license a famous one in 7.1 sound :)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:04 pm

They could easily hire an orchestra and play the peice to suit their exact needs (like in Nodame).

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:34 am

Otaprince wrote:Maybe in Rebuild they'll license a famous one in 7.1 sound :)

You don't get discounts on license's just because you don't play the whole song. And considering how many there are....

While I agree that would be nice, it would cost a lot of money for very little return. The combined license fee's of all the most famous recordings would most likely cost more than putting together an orchestra to play whatever score they need.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Otaprince wrote:Interesting-- I was wondering particularly about Beethoven's Ninth, which, like Eva, is a piece people obsess over. It has been recorded a billion times and everyone seems to have their own favorites and strongly-held opinions.

I've read that when CDs were in development, one of the goals they set themselves was that Beethoven's Ninth should fit on one single-sided disk. They succeeded.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 am

Too bad they didn't go for the original plan of using the Polovetsian Dance from Prince Igor. (I do have to say they should also have used extracts from Gotterdammerung, but oh well)
I feel old

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Needs more Wagner.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:26 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Too bad they didn't go for the original plan of using the Polovetsian Dance from Prince Igor.

"Original plan"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Reichu wrote:@Otaprince: You're welcome.

The back of the ADDITION booklet refers to two classical music recordings:

And it turns out that "F-3 TAKE 2 [CHILDHOOD MEMORIES, SHUT AWAY]" is the same piece as "Suiten für Violoncello solo Nr.1 G-dur, BWV. 1007 1.Vorspier" [sic] by Bach. In English, "Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, 1st movement - Prelude".

Just to clarify, "BOTH OF YOU, DANCE LIKE YOU WANT TO WIN!", is an original piece? Not like the above, a renamed exert of a previous work? It reminded me a bit of movements from Beethoven's Pastoral symphony, and some work by an early 20th century classical Argentinean composer (bit of a contradiction there, and my music professor tries to convince my class that music is mostly straightforward), so I've always been curious. :chinscratch:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm

It was on S2 Works and it's not with the CD that contains Sagisu's arrangements of classic pieces, so yes it's an original piece.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:53 am

I do swear that Anno (or anybody related) said something about first using the Polovetsian Dance for the opening theme, but decided to do a more modern touch for fears of losing popularity.
I feel old

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am

The Imperialist wrote:... Polovetsian Dance for the opening theme, but decided to do a more modern touch for fears of losing popularity.

I don't think it was Anno that decided that, but the show's sponsors (they'd be more worried about marketability, naturally)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Wikipedia says:
Wikipedia wrote:According to the liner notes to the album Refrain of Evangelion, director Hideaki Anno had originally wanted to use music from Borodin's Polovetsian Dances as the opening. The TV station (TV Tokyo) felt that audiences would be confused by a classical opening to an anime, and requested a change to a more typical or J-Pop & upbeat song. The production of the result, "A Cruel Angel's Thesis", was handled by Toshimichi Ōtsuki. The original song included a male chorus, which was cut at Anno's request in order to "emphasize maternal affection".

However, I have a copy of the liner notes, and it doesn't seem to say anything. Someone want to double check for me?

iamsynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsynch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the beginning of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto is the same as the beginning in "Dance like you want to win". I don't hear the Pastorale connection though.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”