GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:18 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:That would upset me. I much prefer Casey Mongillo's Shinji.

If that does turn out to be true hopefully it's got all 3 dubs! I'm only expecting at most ADV and Netflix but if Dubbing Brothers do end up doing another dub I wouldn't expect it to be the only dub on there myself.
wait waht

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Guess we'll all find out everything in a little under a week then, barring details coming out early before the pre-order. ADV dub, Manga dub, VSI dub, new dub; Fly Me to the Moon, Rei I, something else; ADV/Manga subs, VSI subs, new subs. Preference is still that we get the ADV dub of the show, Manga dubs for the movies, and VSI dub for both. Not getting the ADV and Manga dubs would be a deal killer for me unless we get a new dub with the Amazon cast, which would be bittersweet because it would mean not getting MacAvery's Gendo performances among the others. Depending on the dub situation, lacking Fly Me to the Moon wouldn't be the end of the world given everything involved, though it would definitely be missed.

Guess August is turning out to be Eva Christmas.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm not a dub person but prefer the Netflix dub more as well - the performances are less garish & children sound like children, I particularly love their Asuka - buuuut I think all the behind the scenes issues - ADV suing Gainax/Khara for not letting them sell Live Action Eva projects to Hollywood and Netflix, i think, owning their dub and likely wanting big money to make it not an exclusive to their streaming service - that in the long run it might just be cheaper and less of a headache for everyone involved to have just re-dubbed everything.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:47 pm

They tweet that as Shin is being released...as expected. :gendoscheme:
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Fingers crossed for it to have Japanese, ADV dub and/or netflix dub. I don't want another dub for NGE, it'll be too hard to keep up with all of them :D

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:48 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:
View Original Postpenguintruth#927875 wrote:That would upset me. I much prefer Casey Mongillo's Shinji.

If that does turn out to be true hopefully it's got all 3 dubs! I'm only expecting at most ADV and Netflix but if Dubbing Brothers do end up doing another dub I wouldn't expect it to be the only dub on there myself.

My dream would have:
- Japanese (Original 2.0) [Everything]
- Japanese (Renewal 5.1) [Everything]
- English (ADV, Original 5.1) [All TV episodes]
- English (Manga 6.1) [Movies]
- English (ADV, Director's Cut 5.1) [All Director's Cut episodes + TV episodes 25 and 26]
- English (Netflix 5.1) [Everything]
- English (GKIDS 5.1) [Everything if this dub actually exists]

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Assuming Sencer's not lying because of an NDA, it sure doesn't sound like the Amazon cast has redubbed anything for the GKids set. Similarly, Mongillo has indicated they haven't done any additional work following the 2019 dubs. We'll hopefully know the plan next week, but I'd be surprised to hear GKids created a new dub with a totally separate cast. Especially given how the redubs for NTE turned out.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Everybody ready for tomorrow? The boxset's going to be available to pre-order in just 17 hours. I have things all set up so that I just need to press a button to pay for my set.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:05 am

Unfortunately I'm broke and thus can't get it but I'm interested to see what it will be like! I am curious to see what dubs it will have for one - I think the ADV dub is definitely going to be present and maybe the Netflix dub too personally. Here's hoping we get Fly Me to the Moon!
wait waht

GlassReality45
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:02 am

Seems like it'll have both dubs and both subs: https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion

In addition to the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, there is an extra set of discs including the bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions for the twenty-six episode series, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION.
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. She/her or they/them pronouns, please c:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:04 am

View Original PostGlassReality45 wrote:Seems like it'll have both dubs and both subs: https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion

In addition to the Official Dub and Subtitled versions, there is an extra set of discs including the bonus Classic Dub and Subtitled versions for the twenty-six episode series, as well as the films EVANGELION:DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION.

Everyone wins!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:04 am

No Fly Me to the Moon though.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:06 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:No Fly Me to the Moon though.

Everyone loses.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:10 am

Just pre-ordered the ULTIMATE EDITION. Only available through the GKids store.

Countdown clock restarted and in 10 Days they'll provide information on the more affordable traditional releases.

No release date but the page says Ultimate Editions will ship "The Week of December 6" so I assume the traditional releases, those available through Amazon and retailers, is going to be Tuesday December 7th.

GlassReality45
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:11 am

Well, hey, at least they're being upfront and honest about it. And I'll take a release that includes both dubs but no Fly Me to the Moon over a release with FMttM that only has the Netflix dub.
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. She/her or they/them pronouns, please c:

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:17 am

For those it applies too, insiders aren't positive the ADV and Manga dubs will be on the cheaper editions. I, and they, aren't certain, but given that the Ultimate Edition is limited to 5000 copies, anyone who wants those dubs should be informed about the possibility. I've ordered the set myself; Fly Me to the Moon or not, I appreciate GKids getting the ADV and Manga dubs when they're clearly considered an extra. Means I'll most certainly be keeping my Platinum Edition set, but the fact I can retire the old Manga DVD for EoE is truly a blessing.

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:22 am

No Fly Me to the Moon, as I expected.

So they're releasing the two dubs on separate discs? I wonder why.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:No Fly Me to the Moon though.

Aaaand deal breaker for me... You can add all the subs and dubs you want, but FMttM has to be there...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 am

I would be very surprised if the ADV dub is on the normal version. Right Stuff did the same thing with the old dub of Gundam Seed, left it as an ultimate edition exclusive.

Personally, I’ll just be getting the digital version whenever that gets released. The extras are all really cool, but I don’t feel the need to spend that much money.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:27 am

I bought the Ultimate Edition... I kind of want to throw up over how much I spent on it. Maybe I should cancel it and wait for the standard edition (GKids promises "future editions"). But I think I'll wait to see what features are on any standard edition before I cancel my order.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”