Evangelion Manga: Final Volume out February 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 am

I would be very, very surprised at any kind of extension of the ending. The story is finished, for better or worse. I'm expecting either some side story (maybe back story), or something just barely connected by being in the same universe.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am

I only ask for those 28 extra pages, I don't need artwork or chit chat. Releasing the standard volume without those extra pages would be fucking mean.
Last edited by Jäeger on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Releasing the standar volume without thse extra pages would be fucking mean.

No it wouldn't. That's how business works. Releasing the standard version with the bonus story would defeat the purpose of a limited edition. They are creating additional content that you can purchase at an additional cost. The English market just doesn't happen to be set up for such a release, however there is a chance we'll see it in the form of an omnibus release, which they've been doing. Besides, if it doesn't get an official English release, I'm sure someone will fan translate it.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm

So the bonus story is just exclusive to Japan?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm

I don't that's been said - there's some misunderstanding over the special edition extras (extra picture book, bookends), and extra articles in the English edition (or not). As far as I can see, the 28 pages are an inherent part of the volume.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:So the bonus story is just exclusive to Japan?

It definitely won't be in the English release of volume 14, but if Viz does a 5th omnibus, there is a possibility they can include it.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:No it wouldn't. That's how business works. Releasing the standard version with the bonus story would defeat the purpose of a limited edition. They are creating additional content that you can purchase at an additional cost. The English market just doesn't happen to be set up for such a release, however there is a chance we'll see it in the form of an omnibus release, which they've been doing. Besides, if it doesn't get an official English release, I'm sure someone will fan translate it.

And what about the countries where there is no omnibus release?

First time in all my life I've seen extra manga pages being left apart in the ultimate release

As far as I can see, the 28 pages are an inherent part of the volume

Or every media has been wrong, which I don't thinks it's the case . When the date was announced, every media I read talked about those pages as inherent part of the volume, and later sumarized the extras of the limited edition.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 pm

We recently realized the 28 manga pages plus accompanying 16 page booklet is this, which based on the title seriously makes me think it's a silly unrelated gag story or maybe a "learn to draw like Sadamoto" type thing.

Folks had to buy the Japanese Limited Edition Volume 13 if they wanted the extras there (postcards, mini art book, alternate cover, etc) so having to do the same for some manga bookends, a 16 page booklet, alternate cover, and etc is nothing new.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:01 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:First time in all my life I've seen extra manga pages being left apart in the ultimate release

Well that's just life. You don't always get what you want, because business doesn't work that way. I literally have a shelf full of stuff, including standard, special, and limited edition stuff that never came out over here, for one reason or another.

And no, this is not the first time something like this has happened. I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure things like this have happened in numerous instances.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Looks like RightStuf is taking preorders.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Well that's just life. You don't always get what you want, because business doesn't work that way. I literally have a shelf full of stuff, including standard, special, and limited edition stuff that never came out over here, for one reason or another.

And no, this is not the first time something like this has happened. I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure things like this have happened in numerous instances.

Are you telling me that even a Japanese fella who doen't buy the limited edition won't get those 28 extra pages that in every media I've read have been announced as inherent part of the volume?? I've read no news telling that those pages are exlusive of the LE.

And no, it doesn't happen so often. This is not an updated rerelease of the original material, like the kanzenban editions of other mangas. But arguing about this it's pointless : in november 20th the trutth will be revealed.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:But arguing about this it's pointless : in november 20th the trutth will be revealed.

What argument? The bonus manga is going to be in the limited edition.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes, I've never denied that fact

[url]https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-28/evangelion-manga-final-volume-to-add-28-new-pages[/url]

[url]https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-31/last-evangelion-manga-book-to-be-published-in-18-territories-simultaneously/.75081[/url]

It's never said that it's exclusive for the LE

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Have no fear, our good buddy Eva Monkey will import the limited edition and give us a in-depth
analysis of it. :tongue:

- Suicidahlia

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:I've read no news telling that those pages are exlusive of the LE.

Um:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:the 28 manga pages plus accompanying 16 page booklet is this

[Snip]

Folks had to buy the Japanese Limited Edition Volume 13 if they wanted the extras there (postcards, mini art book, alternate cover, etc) so having to do the same for some manga bookends, a 16 page booklet, alternate cover, and etc is nothing new.

And from our front page/news page: https://www.evageeks.org/2014/07/limited-edition-of-volume-14-of-sadamotos-evangelion-manga-with-bonus-storycharacter/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 pm

It's just a matter of which report gets quoted. There's this for instance, from Jäeger's first link:
The final volume will add 28 previously unpublished manga pages.

The limited edition of the final volume will bundle an original cover, book ends for the entire 14-volume set, a booklet with about 16 pages and exclusive illustrations by Sadamoto, and a "Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Working Music CD."

which clearly makes the 28 pages part of the volume (the bonus pages mentioned elsewhere), while the limited edition adds the extras. This seems just as possible to me for a couple of reasons: (1) adding extras to the end of the last volume is commonplace (hell, half the last volume of Honey and Clover is additional matter), and (2) I would expect them to make just one version of the volume itself, which is packaged with extras for the limited edition, and without normally - so if the 28 pages are part of the main volume for the limited edition, they are likely to be there in all editions.

But we shall see what we shall see (and naturally I've already made sure I won't miss out).

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Have no fear, our good buddy Eva Monkey will import the limited edition and give us a in-depth
analysis of it. :tongue:

I'm getting the special edition ems'd to me and am planning on translating it right as it falls into my hands. Not sure if its still cool (legal?) to do this but I can post the transcription of the bonus manga later on if anyone's curious.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 pm

They better release an omnibus. My OCD can't handle three big books and two little books.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

View Original PostOedipusfoot wrote:Not sure if its still cool (legal?) to do this but I can post the transcription of the bonus manga later on if anyone's curious.

Legal? No. If the bonus manga appears exclusive to the Japanese release, we may allow a transcription. PM staff when you get it and plan on doing it.

At the very least, you can absolutely do a synopsis of the plot/content.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 pm

A transcription would be cool.

And most likely since Volume 13 Limited Edition could be found in the usual places, I'd assume Volume 14 LE will as too.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”