What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 am

Still haven´t finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
I´m still stuck on the second Movie.
Finishing it today, maybe I´ll watch the third someday.
Now that I think back, I´ve seen 3 whole Macross shows in the meantime!
:lol:

Is Macross II and Macross 7 worth checking out anyway?
I heard that II sucked alternate history dick and I watched the first episode of 7 and it sucked.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 am

They may be ok if you go in knowing what you're getting into. Macross II was sort of crappily animated and it's story really has no bearing in the backstory. Come to think of it, Macross 7 doesn't seem to either. At least Macross 7, it's OVAs, and sequels have pretty good animation. It's your 90's pop-rock-with-wailing-guitar-solos stuff but animated. As long as you don't mind mecha battles involving a rock showdown instead of actually, fighting.

Getting around to watching the Nuku Nuku TV series after the original OVA, not bad for an average 90's gag show. First episode featured a giant transforming mecha washing machine whose goal is to achieve world domination through washing people's clothes. But it goes out of control.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 04, 2011 11:09 am

Is Macross II and Macross 7 worth checking out anyway?

Macross 2 is definitely one of the better Macross anime since it somewhat tone down the pointless jibbering. Sadly though Gigamesh aside there wasn't too much to remember. Macross 7 is basically reverse-Macross, it has a reverse formula yet is more formulaic than the other series. I'd recommend watching it, but be prepared as it is VERY formulaic in every episode. In fact the series doesn't get good until Sivil awakens in ep 17 and the actual interest doesn't show until other protodeviln awaken and they get into their back story. Annoying or not, if you want to find out the backstory of the protoculture, zentradi, and meltrandi you're gonna have to watch this.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed May 04, 2011 1:01 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:If it helps any here is how I rank every anime I've finished from beginning to end:

We can see your MAL button on the profile bar, so there's no need for you to post that list ever again.

Interestingly enough, my anime compatibility with TDSA is 56.8%, which is absolutely staggering. Before this, I had never seen a compatibility rating lower than 60%. Hell, even my compatibility with the infamous Baby Toddler_Naruto is about five per cent higher. So yeah, just keep lumping us together, Merri. :rofl:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:my anime compatibility with TDSA is 56.8%

MAL wrote:Anime compatibility with DuelGundam2099 is:
High
77.6%

Also, fixed his post.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed May 04, 2011 1:44 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:[MAL]Anime compatibility with DuelGundam2099 is:
High
77.6%[/MAL]

Yeah, but that's only 25 shared. That doesn't even count. Dr. Nick's got a 145 shared. I'm only at 61% with 93 shared.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed May 04, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm only at 71% with 21 shared. That's quite low. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Also, fixed his post.

Awe dang. :(
Interestingly enough, my anime compatibility with TDSA is 56.8%, which is absolutely staggering. Before this, I had never seen a compatibility rating lower than 60%. Hell, even my compatibility with the infamous Baby Toddler_Naruto is about five per cent higher. So yeah, just keep lumping us together, Merri.

I'm only at 71% with 21 shared. That's quite low.

I don't watch the same anime you do though.
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Awe dang. :(

I don't watch the same anime you do though.

The only thing that goes into a compatibility rating is the shows both of you have watched and scored. This the "shared" number. That's why the compatibility rating is less accurate with low shared numbers because there isn't much to make a comparison while Dr. Nick's 145 shared is more than half of your list making the 56.8% comparison probably the most accurate.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed May 04, 2011 2:02 pm

C.A.P. wrote: Whoa, thems fightin' words in the SM community.
:lol: I figured as much.
SPOILER: Show
Inexplicably killing off the sailor senshi with formulaic attack sequences in the space of fifteen minutes—at the hands of arbitrary bitches that were exponentially greater in strength than the other villains of the show—was a terrible idea. Usagi didn’t want the others to fight and didn’t like seeing hardship or pain. We didn’t need to watch the girls all get killed off in unbelievable ways. And suddenly Sailor Moon was able to redistribute things so her friends were alive again! Didn’t see that one coming at all!

C.A.P. wrote: Hey Mer, if you're going to continue the show, hear me out; don't let the Internet fool you into thinking the next season, SuperS, is a piece of crap (then again, it's because almost every fan prefers the manga's version because of the lack of constant comedy). They're right that the grim tone of S pretty much disappeared once it was done (and we fans have our theories why that is, right SSD? :p), but that doesn't mean there's merits to the thing. For example, not only does SuperS contains the best mixure of new music cues in the whole show, but it also has some of the best characterizations of the villains, where almost all of the big villains seem to actually have lives outside the screen. So yeah, very underrated season, and I hope the repetitive slapstick won't tire you out after 7 or so episodes in a row, because there's good stuff if you look for them.
Since I’m almost finished with S, I’ll probably go right into SuperS and keep riding the high. I was originally going to stop with R, actually, but I wanted to see more Ami. As long as the show has Mercury in it, I’d watch just about anything the producers might throw at me. Jupiter’s awesome too, but Mercury is moe overload. Well, all of them are, really, so I guess that statement is redundant, but Mercury is the depiction of beautiful perfection beyond explanation.

InstrumentalityOne wrote:Is Macross II and Macross 7 worth checking out anyway?
I heard that II sucked alternate history dick and I watched the first episode of 7 and it sucked.
Don't watch Macross II. Animation is shit even by bad low-budget early-90s OVA standards. Save yourself the trouble and just avoid it.

Dr. Nick wrote:Interestingly enough, my anime compatibility with TDSA is 56.8%, which is absolutely staggering. Before this, I had never seen a compatibility rating lower than 60%. Hell, even my compatibility with the infamous [s]Baby[/s] Toddler_Naruto is about five per cent higher. So yeah, just keep lumping us together, Merri. :rofl:
Don't misunderstand. I fully expected one of you to say "this was horrible," and the other to say "man, this was awesome," in regards to Victory Gundam. I take recs based on who says what, though. :lol:

Suffice to say, I'll give Victory a shot soon. Maybe next week, I still have to finish K-On (because I promised I would) and a couple OVAs first. Your explanation had me hooked, but thewayneiac's bikini girls with ray guns comment has cemented my interest. :)

Dr. Nick wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you going to watch any of the Alternate Universe Gundam series once you've completed your UC run?
Yeah. I've had Turn A on my hard drive for months, but I haven't watched it yet (I really want to start, though). I've also heard X is good, but I don't want to start that until after Turn A. And I probably won't watch that until after Victory, at this point.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Wed May 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Interestingly enough, my anime compatibility with TDSA is 56.8%, which is absolutely staggering. Before this, I had never seen a compatibility rating lower than 60%. Hell, even my compatibility with the infamous Baby Toddler_Naruto is about five per cent higher. So yeah, just keep lumping us together, Merri.

Well since people are going around taking stuff on in this forum, figure I might as well take on MyAnimeList and make a list of my own but not until I finish doing this page of tales I'm working on.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed May 04, 2011 2:07 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Still haven´t finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
I´m still stuck on the second Movie.
Finishing it today, maybe I´ll watch the third someday.
Now that I think back, I´ve seen 3 whole Macross shows in the meantime!
:lol:

Gundam needs more idol singers. :P

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Is Macross II and Macross 7 worth checking out anyway?

Macross II is not "official" Macross title and part of the canonical timeline. I guess only good effect it had was to get Kawamori stop being lazy ass (like he had been since finishing original Macross with Flash Back 2012) and take control of the franchise again, in the process kicking tons of games etc. from late 80s alongside with Macross II out the canon timeline and then "relaunch" the franchise with Macross Plus. Talk about terrific move. (Followed by M7 oh snap)

As for Macross 7...well, I guess that the way even I have struggled with the show says it all. I can remember love only so far, and based on what I've seen Macross 7 is past the limits. Though I guess it could be fun to watch with camp attitude (I mean, with even more campy attitude than Macross in general :hahaha: )

As for MAL compabilities, not suprisingly I have pretty high one with Nick and Ornette but bizarrely enough both Tines and TDSA end up around 68%

yet quite often I find my opinions in line with Tines whereas TDSA is just TDSA. Just goes to show trustworthyness of this all, I guess

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Wed May 04, 2011 2:14 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Since I’m almost finished with S, I’ll probably go right into SuperS and keep riding the high. I was originally going to stop with R, actually, but I wanted to see more Ami. As long as the show has Mercury in it, I’d watch just about anything the producers might throw at me. Jupiter’s awesome too, but Mercury is moe overload. Well, all of them are, really, so I guess that statement is redundant, but Mercury is the depiction of beautiful perfection beyond explanation.

Trust me, you'll get your moe overload with Ami and friends later on. In fact, one episode has her naked for a good minute or so for neurological reasons (and let's just say another Senshi will also be nude somewhere in Stars), so look forward to that nipple-less body when you get there.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed May 04, 2011 2:26 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote: Since I’m almost finished with S, I’ll probably go right into SuperS and keep riding the high. I was originally going to stop with R, actually, but I wanted to see more Ami. As long as the show has Mercury in it, I’d watch just about anything the producers might throw at me. Jupiter’s awesome too, but Mercury is moe overload. Well, all of them are, really, so I guess that statement is redundant, but Mercury is the depiction of beautiful perfection beyond explanation.

Cheating on Saber again, Merri? Dirty Pair wasn't enough? :nono:

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed May 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Xard wrote:Cheating on Saber again, Merri? Dirty Pair wasn't enough? :nono:
It's not cheating and Dirty Pair would hardly qualify anyway. I'm simply admiring her from afar, a temporary thing. Saber has passed into the realm of the ideal, far beyond mere fancies of moe and fictional infatuations. Appreciation for Ami and Yuri are far, far, far away from my hopeless adoration for Saber. It is a thing of myth, this feeling.

That said, I definitely look forward to continuing the series. C.A.P.'s statements leave me captivated.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Let us know about your opinion on the fillers when you're all done, kk? :)
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 pm

More Nuku Nuku, Mecha Ovens GATTAI!

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed May 04, 2011 5:11 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Yeah. I've had Turn A on my hard drive for months, but I haven't watched it yet (I really want to start, though).

Do it. It's a really unique, well-liked show. And make sure you're watching Encodergasm's version, because it's currently the best version available. If you've downloaded Anime-Gundam's version, kill it with fire.

I've also heard X is good, but I don't want to start that until after Turn A. And I probably won't watch that until after Victory, at this point.

It's a decent enough series, but it's rather uninspired compared to Tomino's (or Imagawa's) output. There are no memorable moments of absolute brilliance or absolute eye-popping stupidity, so it might seem a bit dull in comparison. For example, the show doesn't really make proper use of its post-apocalyptic setting. The production values are nothing spectacular, either.

But having said that, I absolutely adore several things in X. Firstly, it has a really nice Newtype-related ending twist. And secondly, I have to respect it for being relatively firmly grounded in reality, especially since it was done after the outrageous (and popular!) fairytale fantasy-fest that was Wing. X's ending is basically a complete antithesis to Wing's "a wizard did it" ending.

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:You forgot the bikini girls with ray guns scene. The strangest thing in any Gundam.

I'm sure they were rocket launchers. As far as I can tell, no Gundam series has ever featured human-carried energy weapons. Well, outside of Seed on Cartoon Network.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed May 04, 2011 8:44 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:This weeks Steins;Gate was really good.
SPOILER: Show
I was also pleased to see I'd been right about the part-time girl at the TV repair shop. I knew there was something up with her.

Well she seemed pretty convincing when she said that she was a soldier.. This episode was amazing. I love the conspiracy stuff + time travel = awesome^12. Thankfully I got my preorder for Mayuri's Upa plush before the reservation closed, AS SEEN IN THIS EPISODE. I liked the part with the newspapers showing that it worked. I'm super GLaD this show is going for 24 episodes.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I'm super GLaD this show is going for 24 episodes.
I didn't know it was going to be 24 episodes. That's certainly great news.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Old Stickies”