What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:44 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Taken at its own merits, I found Baccano! it to be well animated but hindered by stale directing and uneven, muddled, or mediocre writing.

Nice to see that Merri and I can agree on some things.

=========================

Just seen Prof. Layton and the Eternal Diva.
Found this in the children's section of the library. Find a child able to sit down through this and you would deserve the prize of immortality.

Basically- this is Highlander, with puzzles.

I've only played Pandora's box, but enjoyed it, and enjoyed the feature in equal measure; even if the ending got more than a little bit silly.
It's a shame they abandoned the whole contest for immortality thing after the 4th puzzle, they introduced some interesting characters only to disregard them quicker than my opinions on EGF.
I'm proud to say that I would have survived the first two elimination rounds. Oh yeah, no Game/MovieFAQ for me, thanks.

It was also nice to hear the English dub. Trina Nishimura should lend this an ear.

=========================

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Pretty much on par with the School Days special.

Did you have to remind me of that?

We need a list of all-time terrible OVA/specials to avoid.
One example would be the 11eyes special:
I was going to post Takahisa’s finger, but there’s no way Photobucket would allow that.

I’ll be sure to check out the Zombie hijinks later.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:51 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Just out: New Lupin III TV series will come out this fall.

Not sure which anime studio is going to do it.

However, most of the seiyuu are changed. This has prompted quite a lot of debates in 2chan.

:jawdrop:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Big Battle. Wow, and I thought Red Shoulder Document was actiony. I dare say this is better than Zeta Gundam, 'nough said. :cool:

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Watched Gosick E01. Good impression on the first episode. Will get more. :)

I don't know what to make out of A-Channel. :| I nearly fell asleep.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

A Channel

Postby symbv » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I don't know what to make out of A-Channel. :| I nearly fell asleep.

Pure moe slice-of-life tales of high school girls having fun time and comedy moments. It all depends on whether you take a liking to any of those in the main cast. I kind of like Yuuko for example. And I like the choice of using an insert song to show how characters go about on their lives and interact with each other. Anyway, I have the 4-koma manga already before the anime was aired so I may be biased...
Last edited by symbv on Sun May 01, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: A Channel

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Pure moe slice-of-life tales of high school girls having fun time and comedy moments. It all depends on whether you take a liking to any of those in the main cast. I kind of like Yuuko for example. And I kind the choice of using an insert song to show how characters go about on their lives and interact with each other. Anyway, I have the 4-koma manga already before the anime was aired so I may be biased...

Okay... Guess I'll have to have a second try on the first episode, as I became too drowsy early this morning. :)

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Watched Deadmans Wonderland. Looks like this show is finally going to take off.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 am

SDF Macross through 16:

images  SPOILER: Show
holy shit what a bad ass. also "KUNG FU DANDY" is the best name for anything, ever. also nice shirt

look at that lacedown shirtfront ladies. godamn.

Hikaru's failure to fuck Minmei is explained: he is too tsundere for war

you could punish me all day, any day, Ms. Commander. Actually I really like the female Zentradi (all, like, two of them), they have a very enjoyable dynamic with each other and Kamujin.

I'm pretty sure there's a scene in Eva (maybe only in Rebuild?) which references this but I cannot for the life of me find it. Seems like it should be in ep 06 or something

After a pretty slow beginning the show really took off in these last few episodes. The government is bastards, the Zentradi all hate each other, poor Lieutenant Hayase just can't get laid, Global developed the semblance of a spine, and there is a KUNG FU DANDY taking names.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Sun May 01, 2011 1:49 am

Blue Comet SPT Layzner.
WHY DID THIS NOT GET A US RELEASE?! IT'S DAMN GOOD! Better then Mobile Suit Gundam, imho.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun May 01, 2011 3:03 am

View Original PostAlastor wrote:Blue Comet SPT Layzner.
WHY DID THIS NOT GET A US RELEASE?! IT'S DAMN GOOD! Better then Mobile Suit Gundam, imho.

Bandai supposedly planned to release it, but the deal fell through. 80's real robot shows in general are shockingly unknown in the west, but luckily fansubs are slowly trickling through (except for Gorg and Dragonar, which are both cursed). If Layzner tickles your fancy, you might want to check out Takahashi's other oldies, Votoms (a sprawling franchise; watch it in production order) and Dougram.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun May 01, 2011 3:30 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a scene in Eva (maybe only in Rebuild?) which references this but I cannot for the life of me find it. Seems like it should be in ep 06 or something.

SPOILER: Show
In Rebuild 1.11, after knocked down by our banshee-cum-beam-cannon Angel, Shinji is sent to the ER, and then the sign lights up.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun May 01, 2011 7:44 am

If Layzner tickles your fancy, you might want to check out Takahashi's other oldies, Votoms (a sprawling franchise; watch it in production order)

Good luck trying to find the originals series, it can't be found in english subs ANYWHERE.
Blue Comet SPT Layzner.
WHY DID THIS NOT GET A US RELEASE?! IT'S DAMN GOOD!

Why did you think I got an avatar of it?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Good luck trying to find the originals series, it can't be found in english subs ANYWHERE.

Now that's just silly.

- You can buy the entire Votoms TV series for like $30.
- If you live in the US, you can rent it via Netflix.
- There's a well-seeded torrent available for the remastered TV series (which, by the way, look gorgeous)

Dougram has no official English-language release, but fansubs are easy to find with a bit of googling.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 am

- If you live in the US, you can rent it via Netflix.

The first quarter of the series is on the "unknown" wait availability and once ANY anime gets one there it will NEVER come off.
- There's a well-seeded torrent available for the remastered TV series (which, by the way, look gorgeous)

I'm a streamer, I have bad luck with downloading.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Sun May 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Got the first ep of demon prince enma, from what I understand this is supposed to be a serious take on "Dororon Enma kun" which is currently airing. Watched the first few minutes of it and it looks fun so I'll finish watching it later.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 pm

This weeks Hanasaku Iroha was incredibly generic. I am disappoint.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun May 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Anyone seen Urotsukidoji before since I plan to watch that soon?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon May 02, 2011 12:43 am

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:Anyone seen Urotsukidoji before since I plan to watch that soon?
Yes. It's awesome. You won't be disappointed.

Although you might feel incredibly nihilistic immediately after watching it.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 02, 2011 3:05 am

Library Wars ep 6: It has been a decent series so far, but I can't help laughing at the occasional lolDEEP, this time in form of an obvious reference.
OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE DOHOHOHOOO  SPOILER: Show
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon May 02, 2011 4:08 am

Library Wars is a thought-provoking series about censorship and punching bears in the face.

Return to “Old Stickies”