Rei in EoE poster and final scene

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Rei in EoE poster and final scene

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I was looking around on Wikipedia when I stumbled across this:
As you can clearly see, I've circled Rei standing above the water in green.

Now for the really creepy part:
By looking at this image you can clearly see Rei STANDING ABOVE THE WATER IN THE EXACT SAME OUTFIT!

Someone care to explain this????

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: An intersting discovery (possible spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:54 pm

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Someone care to explain this????

Same basic idea: Rei doesn't wind up as part of the Red Sea because she's not what we conventionally think of as human.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Hmm, I never noticed that in the poster.. but I guess I never really spent the time to analyze it.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: An intersting discovery (possible spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:59 pm

the Red water is what is left of all the people that were tanged during 3I, so it contains all their souls. Rei or that ghost/spirit Rei thing it the shot with Shinji and Asuka on the Shore is short of watching over them, while the faded out Rei on the cover is watching from the surface over all the tanged people's souls. So in a way she is doing two jobs, watching over the people who decide to return to human form after 3I and watching over the soul/spirits of those who reject human form after 3I.
and I have no idea why I am posting this because it is just going to be ignored
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Old news is old. (You don't need to mark NGE or EoE as being spoilers by the way. When you join the forums it's assumed you know you'll be spoiled as the Rules state.)

Lilith becomes Rei (instead of Rei becoming Lilith), but everybody is reverted to LCL due to Third Impact. It makes sense that she's standing outside of the LCL Sea while in the EoE poster the female cast is within the sea.

And Rei being floating above the LCL Sea in either image is probably meant to invoke Lilith's quantum physics.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:19 am

Ok I get that Rei is Lilith or whatever, but what confused me is that I thought there was actually bodies lying under the water rather than it just being LCL. I guess in a way the bodies are still there, but we can't see them.

(btw, thank you to whoever renamed this thread!)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:45 am

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Ok I get that Rei is Lilith or whatever, but what confused me is that I thought there was actually bodies lying under the water rather than it just being LCL.

Then again, maybe there are? It's not like the red ocean looks especially translucent from outside.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:47 am

CD603: No problem.

And yeah, the bodies (of the female cast) in the poster imply how all the cast is LCL in the film, metaphysically communicating during pre and actual Instrumentality.

Hope that makes sense.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:00 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Then again, maybe there are? It's not like the red ocean looks especially translucent from outside.

I know right? you can't see under the water in the second photo so the bodies could actually be there, so to speak.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:01 pm

They're souls floating in the red sea.

Also, I never noticed Rei in that poster. That's awesome.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:38 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Then again, maybe there are? It's not like the red ocean looks especially translucent from outside.

Good God, that really would be fucked up. Kimochi warui indeed.

Kind of doubt it, though.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Guys; It's a poster. It's meant to create excitement for something you don't know anything about yet. Showing most of the cast "drowning" in a red sea is a very good way to do that, but that doesn't mean it's canon.

Rei being there is, but that's only because we can back it up with EoE and NGE Ep. 1.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:24 pm

It's an interesting concept though, potentially useful in a suitably dark fanfic.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Da Games Elite
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Da Games Elite » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:37 pm

In all fairness, it's an unsurprising yet awesome discovery. Yeah, the red poster is the LCL sea and all that, and any theory that this is what the LCL sea looks like the bottom would work...save for one little flaw...

Asuka's in that picture curled up in a fetal position. ;P

Nightquest
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightquest » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm

View Original PostDa Games Elite wrote:Asuka's in that picture curled up in a fetal position. ;P

I've read that Asuka wasn't affected during 3I because she was inside the Eva-02, but this picture shows exactly the opposite.

Nice.
"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 pm

IT'S PEOPLE! LCL IS PEOPLE!

But yeah, that's creepy as hell. Maybe there really are bodies under the sea. That certainly would be weird after Shinji floated to the shore.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:22 pm

If Asuka wasn't affected for 3I, then she along with Shinji, Ritsuko, Misato and Rei wouldn't have been communicating during that pre-Instrumentality sequence (from sandbox scene up until the kitchen scene strangling).

And I doubt there are bodies in the sea, the poster is just there stylistically to imply how everybody's been tanged. (I :heart: that poster at any rate. It's so awesome.)

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:45 pm

View Original PostDa Games Elite wrote:In all fairness, it's an unsurprising yet awesome discovery. Yeah, the red poster is the LCL sea and all that, and any theory that this is what the LCL sea looks like the bottom would work...save for one little flaw...

Asuka's in that picture curled up in a fetal position. ;P

Hmm...that's quiet intersting. I was reading the thread about the "Last A" ending and I believe it mentions Shinji being the only one on the beach. Could that mean that the poster reflects the original ending the were going to use???

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Or that everyone comes back.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:50 pm

There is that shot during the Shinji/Rei/Kaworu discussion showing bodies appearing around them, floating.

Yeah, I do think it's just symbolic of the return that Shinji is hoping for, but it does potentially suggest that people will rematerialize out in the sea and have to just wash up on shore or swim there if they wake up before that.

Is the ocean breathable now though, are plenty of people going to come back only to drown? :chinscratch:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”