How did the workers of Tokyo 3 rebuild so fast?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am

It is an old anime trope, this tendency to repair or rebuild extraordinarily fast. Anno might be lampooning one of his old favorites: Space Battleship Yamato. The Yamato takes impossible amounts of damage but sometimes returns to pristine condition without any explanation. And it happens with the New Nautilus in Nadia as well. He's played the trope straight, as well as subverted it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:He's played the trope straight, as well as subverted it.
Hmmm?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Because Anno wants it both ways. He wants to on the one hand be semi-realistic and show that a large amount of time has passed, which just screws with his wanting it all to take place within six months. Add this to the list of reasons trying to come up with a non-contradictory timeline is a hopeless venture.

Agent_Koopa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Agent_Koopa » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:43 pm

NERV has an extremely limited budget, but that's only because everything they do is so expensive.
Posts look unprofessional without signatures!

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:19 am

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:There's also something I read about last night called "transparent aluminum" that is often used in place of glass. Completely shatterproof, or so I heard.

IRL transparent aluminum doesn't work that way, but it's unimportant because I believe you are referencing Star Trek.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Thunder Heart Mk.3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thunder Heart Mk.3 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Tokyo 3 is made out of LEGO bricks, didn't you know?

In all seriousness I would have to say massive workforce, tons of over time, and prefabricated segments that fit together fast.
LURKERS KEEP ON LURKING! Lurk, lurk, lurk...
Favorite pairing as of Rebuild : Shinji x Rei. Why? Because its lulzy.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:03 pm

You know, they do have a few building size robots in the piramid shaped basement. It's also crutial to have teh city running in case of an angel attack so it's not totaly unforseable.
Not who you think I am.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:12 am

How did the workers rebuild Tokyo-3 so fast?

Bob The Builder.

[URL=http://img188.imageshack.us/i/canwefixit.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 pm

^:lol:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:00 am

Hahaha yeah you never know if part of pilot sync training is to practice rebuilding buildings with EVAs.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:46 am

These guys are in Tokyo-3

Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Assasinate
Lilith

Re: How did the workers of Tokyo 3 rebuild so fast?

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Throughout many parts of the series, large amounts of buildings, sections of NERV hq. and especially the Evas are massively damaged, yet it seems that all of it is easily rebuilt within a week. How can this be possible, even with "all of the world's resources being poured into it." For instance, when Zeruel attacks and destroys all of the underground bulkheads above NERV HQ., they seem to have them totally rebuilt in time for the next Angel to attack. The only time that they never rebuild is after Ep. 23 (for obvious reasons). Perhaps, as Ritsuko mentioned, they utilized the "particle-wave matter" to build things quickly, or perhaps they used the Evas. Who knows.

one thing i would like to ask you??
if the HUMAN RACE is threatened to be EXTINCT... are you going to to still THINK that TIME will be your LIMIT to protect yourself???

try to watch the 2012 so you can understand the meaning of
"FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL"
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:one thing i would like to ask you??
if the HUMAN RACE is threatened to be EXTINCT... are you going to to still THINK that TIME will be your LIMIT to protect yourself???

try to watch the 2012 so you can understand the meaning of
"FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL"

Off topic?
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 am

View Original Postjojojoker wrote:Off topic?

apparently its not OFF TOPIC... it's just COMMON SENSE

just like if you've been haunted by a killer... of course you will run away to escape ( if you say "i will fight" well it's your DO or DIE choice )
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 am

Time dilation. That's the only way it can work. The series takes place over four months, and they had enough time to rebuild everything. These statements aren't contradictory because time is moving faster inside Tokyo-3 then it is outside. How? AT-fields, probably from Lilith . . . Best explanation I can think of anyway.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Stuart
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm

In terms of time span of the series, we know it starts in 2015 (says so in episode 1) and ends in 2016 (says so in episode 25 or 26), so no more than 24 months.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 pm

View Original PostStuart wrote:In terms of time span of the series, we know it starts in 2015 (says so in episode 1) and ends in 2016 (says so in episode 25 or 26), so no more than 24 months.

Considerably less than that, given that Instrumentality takes place on January 1, 2016.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:21 pm

If they wouldn't rebuild Tokyo-3, then there wouldn't be a city anymore to defend (or use as an extra layer of protection). The plot demands it.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”