Characters' lack of aging

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Flyvapnet
Embryo

Characters' lack of aging

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 am

[Forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered long since. I tried the search function, but couldn't make any headway with it.]

Why don't the characters in Neon Genesis Evangelion age? When someone remarks, for example, that Shikinami Asuka Langley is 14 years of age I think "Wasn't that a long time ago?" Gainax Co. Ltd. and/or Anno Hideaki obviously decided the characters in NGE will never age; and I wonder why that decision was reached.

Is it purely an artistic decision? I was thinking (just as an example) of the lead female character in another Gainax production, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Ritona Yoko ages during the course of that series. I find the aging of characters to be an attractive scenario, as opposed to the eternal-children phenomenon.

That the mecha technology presented in NGE supposedly requires 14-year-olds makes it seem much like present-day women's artistic gymnastics, insofar as aging beyond 14 years is taboo. I for one would quite enjoy seeing the surviving NGE characters age and (perhaps) move on to greater levels of responsibility - should they live that long.

Your views on why NGE characters don't age would be appreciated. If this discussion took place elsewhere, please direct me to the appropriate forum or thread. Thank you.

:shrug:

=^..^=
[center]Beauty is the purgation of superfluities.
Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564)[/center]

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Characters' lack of aging

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 am

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:[Forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered long since. I tried the search function, but couldn't make any headway with it.]

Why don't the characters in Neon Genesis Evangelion age? When someone remarks, for example, that Shikinami Asuka Langley is 14 years of age I think "Wasn't that a long time ago?" Gainax Co. Ltd. and/or Anno Hideaki obviously decided the characters in NGE will never age; and I wonder why that decision was reached.

Is it purely an artistic decision? I was thinking (just as an example) of the lead female character in another Gainax production, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Ritona Yoko ages during the course of that series. I find the aging of characters to be an attractive scenario, as opposed to the eternal-children phenomenon.

That the mecha technology presented in NGE supposedly requires 14-year-olds makes it seem much like present-day women's artistic gymnastics, insofar as aging beyond 14 years is taboo. I for one would quite enjoy seeing the surviving NGE characters age and (perhaps) move on to greater levels of responsibility - should they live that long.

Your views on why NGE characters don't age would be appreciated. If this discussion took place elsewhere, please direct me to the appropriate forum or thread. Thank you.

:shrug:

=^..^=

I don't mean to come off as rude, but what the hell are you talking about? A) Asuka is only named Shikinami in Rebuild or Evangelion, which, until proved otherwise, is an entirely separate canon from Neon Genesis Evangleion. And B) I see no reason why any of these characters would have to age in the small time frame that either of the series takes place in, which, in NGE is most likely under a year, maybe even half a year. And in Rebuild, it could only have been a few weeks.

Please elaborate on what you mean, as I'm confused here.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Characters' lack of aging

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:05 am

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Why don't the characters in Neon Genesis Evangelion age?

The series takes place over several months. Starting early to mid 2015, with the final episodes & EoE occuring right around the new year (2016). No more than that. The characters do age, just not a significant amount. In the case of TTGL, there is a seven year time-skip (and an epilogue), and the characters are definitely going to age by a significant amount during that time.

As a final note, the series ends when it does for maximum impact and provocativeness. There is no conclusive ending, no epilogue. The viewer is left to interpret it as they see fit.

If this is what you're looking for, you're not getting it.
....Probably (pending the events of the last two Rebuild films).

Fun fact -- Asuka, according to the supplmentary materials, is actually 13 for most of the series. Her birthday is listed as Dec. 4, 2001. There appears to be some discrepancies over the matter, though it simply could be rounding off because the other pilots are 14 and she's not too far off that mark herself.

Thinking about it, with the end of the series coinciding with the new year.... did the 15th angel arrive on her 14th birthday? Okay, that would be a little too convinient (if perfectly dramatic). But the timeline would place episode 22 pretty close to that her birthday. In which case, no wonder she wasn't in the mood for celebrating.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 am

Having the characters age up noticeably would mean the series would have to span longer and that just wouldn't have as much impact as it does the way it is. Plus, we do get to see quite a lot of characters when they're years younger, if you count background and flashbacks.

Also, the original script had a plan for a birthday party for Shinji, didn't it? It's not like they're deliberately avoiding the topic of aging.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Thanks!

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:20 am

Chotto matte, BeoX2! I come in peace! Your points are well taken, but how about easing up a bit on the delivery?

Thank you, The Abhorrent and Ramiel, for understanding the thrust of my questions. I now have the information I was seeking, thanks to your replies.

:asuka_happy:

=^..^=

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:29 am

This thread is one of the ones trying to unsnarl the contradictory age and date information from series and secondary sources for the 2015-6 span that is the non-flashback "now" -- http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2166

About all that's definite is that we start sometime in the middle of '15 and end sometime probably early-ish in '16; a span of 6-9 months.

There are a lot of things one might expect and we don't see -- like it would be more likely than not that we would see Shinji having one of those adolescent growth spurts that would noticeably change his height relative to Misato's (shorter to at least as tall, especially knowing how his father is the tallest guy in the series), and give him one of those bouts of clumsiness from not having recalibrated how long his limbs are today.

The character who most obviously ages and matures is Gendo, from grown-up Shinji (and cradle-snatcher*) at the turn of the century to the evil ambassador we all know and, uh, love.

* in 1999 he would be 32, she would be 22 and his half-age plus seven cut-off would be 23
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Aha!

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 am

Thank you, Mr. Tines! I shall follow the link you provided and see what happens when I come out on the other side.

Maybe, one of these days, Gainax and Anno will see merit in taking fuller advantage of NGE's obvious staying-power popularity by taking us further along the characters' road of life. Then again, maybe they won't. Corporations can suffer from target fixation, just as military pilots sometimes do.

:asuka_stare:

=^..^=

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Aha!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 am

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Maybe, one of these days, Gainax and Anno will see merit in taking fuller advantage of NGE's obvious staying-power popularity by taking us further along the characters' road of life.

Or, you know, because half the characters are dead. Although, don't give anybody the idea because it might actually happen, knowing how much of a cash cow Gainax is.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Yeah....

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:26 am

I was concerned about that continuity of mortality too, Sachi, but a smart guy like Anno can surely come up with a scenario in which the supposedly-dead characters turn out not be "dead" after all. (I know that's a cliché, but in this case I'm all for it.) *runs away and hides*

:asuka_geh:

=^..^=

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Any official continuation of NGE's events would ruin whatever's left of the show's and EoE's artistic integrity at this point.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Sequels are sometimes good.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Any official continuation of NGE's events would ruin whatever's left of the show's and EoE's artistic integrity at this point.

this a million times.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Flyvapnet
Embryo

Oh?

•      
  •      

Postby Flyvapnet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:19 pm

I agree with you, Allemann - although U.S. visual-media corporations have certainly gone to the "prequel"/sequel well much too often in recent years, due to corporate timidity and lack of talent. Perhaps the same is true in Japan, but I really don't know.

Anyway, I was thinking more of an artistically-sound and logical continuation; and since, as Sachi pointed out, half the characters are already dead there would be plenty of room for (shall we say) a new future to be presented. Or, as esselfortium and slothen contend, it could turn out to be a load of old cods.

:asuka_geh:

=^..^=

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Any official continuation of NGE's events would ruin whatever's left of the show's and EoE's artistic integrity at this point.

^THIS!
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Everyone tries to get a definite timeline of evangelion, but it seems like they somehow squeezed 1-2 years into the span of several months.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There are a lot of things one might expect and we don't see -- like it would be more likely than not that we would see Shinji having one of those adolescent growth spurts that would noticeably change his height relative to Misato's (shorter to at least as tall, especially knowing how his father is the tallest guy in the series), and give him one of those bouts of clumsiness from not having recalibrated how long his limbs are today.

That would have made an excellent episode.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:17 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Everyone tries to get a definite timeline of evangelion, but it seems like they somehow squeezed 1-2 years into the span of several months.

This.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

At least it's easier to figure out than the Zelda timeline.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Everyone tries to get a definite timeline of evangelion, but it seems like they somehow squeezed 1-2 years into the span of several months.

I've never looked at it that way before. It seems that, since so much happens during the course of the series, people have the tendency to assume that the events must take place over a couple years or so, when in reality they only take place over a few months. Honestly(I can't remember exactly), I may have thought this myself before discovering EGF.

I think a confusing factor might also be the speedy arrival of each Angel. When Sachiel shows up, we're told it's the first one to arrive in 15 years. And then Shamshel pops up, and Ramiel, and Gaghiel, etc. And I think the layman would just assume that there have been many weeks, maybe even months between each Angel attack, and not mere days.

EDIT: By "they" you mean Anno, right?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: At least it's easier to figure out than the Zelda timeli

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:04 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:And I think the layman would just assume that there have been many weeks, maybe even months between each Angel attack, and not mere days.

When Shamshel shows up, somebody (I think Fuyutsuki) comments on how with Sachiel we got a fifteen year gap, but with Shamshel we got a two week gap (something like that, but I'm fairly positive it was two weeks). Later in the series, they comment on how terrifyingly close the Bardiel and Zeruel attacks were; it was probably within days. And with the episode 24' transition to EoE, I'm inclined to think the latter was the following day of the prior.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Assuming that Shinji had been incarcerated the day after the Bardiel attack (Toji woke up three days later) and Zeruel appeared the same day, that gives scarcely 24 hours between both of them. I don't recall if anyone commented on how soon the two of them turned up, but I get the impression that Nerv was caught on the wrong foot when Zer turned up. Arael conveniently takes more than a month to turn up after Zer, leaving plenty of time to repair the damage.

Beats me why Shinji and the other characters haven't had their pubescent growth spurts yet. They're horrendously short- in Shinji's case, not only is Gendo a 6-footer, Yui was 5'6" (Not small at all!). He should have been at least Misato's height by this point, if not taller. A clumsy, taller Shinji would certainly fit in with some of the action arc episodes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Probably part of the reason the Children are kept short throughout the series is stylistic. The shock of kids piloting giant biomechanical humanoids taken straight out of Lovecraft is rather lessened when your kids start suddenly looking like adults.

Also, the show's timeline is a mess. I doubt even GAINAX/Khara have an exact timeline to use as a reference.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”