Drug usage in Eva

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 pm

NeverKnowsBest wrote:Where exactly is the not very strong proof of Asuka drinking?
If she's been brought up in Germany, by the age of 13, it'd be surprising if she hadn't had alcohol in the normal course of events.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:21 am

It's the freaking future they have stressful jobs. I bet most of you guys are on some kind medication like Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Valium, Prozac, Lexapro, and others, sound familiar? And you know what? You don't live in a post apocalyptic age where alien invaders try to eradicate you from the face of the earth. You guys piss me off every time I read shit like this.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 am

>It's the freaking future
Did you see their chunky single-function cellphones yet?

>they have stressful jobs.
If the pilots were still the way they were while popping happy pills...

>I bet most of you guys are on some kind medication.
Self-medication with omega-3 and dietary supplements aimed at men of a certain age only.

>Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Valium, Prozac, Lexapro, and others sound familiar?
Yeah, the sort of things that get handed out like candy IN AMERICA
Misato's self-medication with alcohol is the sort of thing that her cultural environment disposes towards
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

etjusticepourtous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby etjusticepourtous » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 am

Mr. Tines wrote:>It's the freaking future
Did you see their chunky single-function cellphones yet?
because it's 1998 in the alternative future

>they have stressful jobs.
none of them are popping spills except Rei

>I bet most of you guys are on some kind medication.
Self-medication with omega-3 and dietary supplements aimed at men of a certain age only.
My statement still stands

>Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Valium, Prozac, Lexapro, and others sound familiar?
True, but what's bad about that? People are scared of the things they do not understand

Misato's self-medication with alcohol is the sort of thing that her cultural environment disposes towards
Anyone with her responsibility and loneliness will drink alcohol

Drugs are there for us to cope.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:08 am

etjusticepourtous wrote:Drugs are there for us to cope.

A poor method, in my opinion. It might just be me, but I don't agree with doping people up so that they'll be able to function in real life. If you have to inhibit your natural body with "medication" in order to get through the day, then why bother? I've seen first hand what anti-depressants do to people, and it's not a pretty sight; every room of my house will vouch for that.

Mr. Tines wrote:>they have stressful jobs.

none of them are popping spills except Rei.

That was his point; if the pilots were on happy pills, they'd be acting a helluva lot different than they did.

Mr. Tines wrote:>Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Valium, Prozac, Lexapro, and others sound familiar?

True, but what's bad about that? People are scared of the things they do not understand

He's pointing out that that's the norm in America, to give out that sort of medication as if it were something like candy. In other countries, Japan for example, that method of dealing with problems is not as popular.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:00 am

etjusticepourtous wrote:I bet most of you guys are on some kind medication like Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, Valium, Prozac, Lexapro, and others, sound familiar?

Only pills I take is Omega-3 because of high cholesterol (yes mostly because of my pizza addiction) and beta carotene because I don't like the taste of carrots.

Sachi wrote:

A poor method, in my opinion. It might just be me, but I don't agree with doping people up so that they'll be able to function in real life.

This.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
Sachi wrote:

A poor method, in my opinion. It might just be me, but I don't agree with doping people up so that they'll be able to function in real life.

This.

QFT

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:35 am

Sachi wrote:A poor method, in my opinion. It might just be me, but I don't agree with doping people up so that they'll be able to function in real life. If you have to inhibit your natural body with "medication" in order to get through the day, then why bother?

Ideally they are supposed to lighten the emotional load while the patient works through the problems at the source, not be an end in themselves.

In other countries, Japan for example, that method of dealing with problems is not as popular.

Actually working through problems at all rather than just offing yourself isn't as popular there either. Might be related?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Sachi wrote:If you have to inhibit your natural body with "medication" in order to get through the day, then why bother?
Are you suggesting that the honourable way is to do away with yourself, rather than indulging in better living through chemistry?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:00 pm

NemZ wrote:
Sachi wrote:A poor method, in my opinion. It might just be me, but I don't agree with doping people up so that they'll be able to function in real life. If you have to inhibit your natural body with "medication" in order to get through the day, then why bother?

Ideally they are supposed to lighten the emotional load while the patient works through the problems at the source, not be an end in themselves

If only things were so great. A lot of people just rely on the pills to make things better, and not just to make the process of getting better easier.

Mr. Tines wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:If you have to inhibit your natural body with "medication" in order to get through the day, then why bother?

Are you suggesting that the honourable way is to do away with yourself, rather than indulging in better living through chemistry?

I'm not saying pills are the devil. But drugging yourself to the point of numbness isn't living at all. If only a few pills are necessary to help fix a certain problem, and you use them right, then go for it. But if you need dozen different prescriptions...
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 pm

I wouldn't call taking meds for clinical depression "drugging oneself into numbness". My mom has CD and at one point, she was so affected by it that she couldn't even get out of bed, which meant I had to take care of the house, alongside working a part time job and taking college courses, on top of my own difficulties with getting easily stressed-out. Once she went on depression meds, she improved dramatically and she was able to function again.

The thing is, clinical depression is a lot like diabetes: the brain just isn't producing the "feel good about yourself" hormones that it should, much as a diabetic person's pancreas isn't producing insulin. Thus, the person with CD has to take medication to take the place of those hormones.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm

MatrixRefugee wrote:I wouldn't call taking meds for clinical depression "drugging oneself into numbness". My mom has CD and at one point, she was so affected by it that she couldn't even get out of bed, which meant I had to take care of the house, alongside working a part time job and taking college courses, on top of my own difficulties with getting easily stressed-out. Once she went on depression meds, she improved dramatically and she was able to function again.

The thing is, clinical depression is a lot like diabetes: the brain just isn't producing the "feel good about yourself" hormones that it should, much as a diabetic person's pancreas isn't producing insulin. Thus, the person with CD has to take medication to take the place of those hormones.

That's the thing. As I said in my last post, a few pills to fix a certain problem is perfectly fine as long as it works. It sounds to me like your mother wasn't on fifteen different medications and making minimal progress. And it seems like your mother is doing fine now thanks to that medication, kudos to her and her doctor. I'm not saying at all that medication is bad, and that people shouldn't take any medicine at all. Just that too much medicine is a bad thing, especially if it's not making things any better and only numbing you. Maximum effort with little to nil, to even negative progression.

But alas, this is getting off topic.
- Sachi

Butterscotch
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Butterscotch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Sammaeloo wrote:Kaworu is way too happy, mellow and always smiling. He is also really mellos, so he could be a pothead. His are red, but not the right part.

"Weed is the highest point of Lilim culture, wouldn't you agree Mr. Floaty Turtle......"

Nice! Lol.

maybe my "theory" will sound a bit too silly for this thread, but I can picture that Rei's pills are why she's so quiet & emotionally repressed (ala THX-1138)

I can see Gendo not wanting Rei to show her disapproval of an isolated, sheltered life so he dopes her up with "Monotone Pills"

To me that makes a lot of sense. One of the evenings when I was looking at an image of all the Rei clones in the LCL, they are smiling and laughing and I was thinking how come when the Rei's are in the LCL they are happy yet when a Rei becomes human she is withdrawn, depressed and is sad. Maybe they just had the Rei's laughing to give the scene a creepy effect but I am sure there is more then that. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Good concept.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”