Gendo's third impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Iam(not)toji
Embryo

Gendo's third impact

•      
  •      

Postby Iam(not)toji » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 am

Maybe this question has already been answered but what would have happened if Gendo had initiated his version of third impact? Would everybody have been turned into LCL except him and Yui or would everybody just be LCL with no chance of escape?
"No one can justify their existence by linking their happiest memories into a kind of rosary." -Train Rei

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am

Everyone would've been fine, as all souls would've been collected in Unit 01 temporarily to ride out Third Impact. Afterwards, everyone would be released and allowed to rematerialize. Gendo would've stayed in the Eva with Yui.

Iam(not)toji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Iam(not)toji » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:43 am

If that was the case then what was that whole scene where the Prime Minister is talking about Nerv plotting the destruction of the human race talking about?
"No one can justify their existence by linking their happiest memories into a kind of rosary." -Train Rei

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:17 pm

^ There would still have been Third Impact, it's just that humanity would come out of it more-or-less intact. It'd still have been extremely devastating to social infrastructure and... well... everything else, but nobody would have actually died in the process.

Now, post-3I there'd probably be tons of suffering due to the lack of infrastructure, and people would undoubtedly die THEN, but that isn't the point. Civilization getting hit with the reboot button was the point.

The Prime Minister was probably just assuming that 3I=apocalypse=everybody dies, not 3I=apocalypse=civilization dies. Not to mention any propaganda SEELE probably fed to him/the rest of the government.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:33 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Everyone would've been fine, as all souls would've been collected in Unit 01 temporarily to ride out Third Impact. Afterwards, everyone would be released and allowed to rematerialize. Gendo would've stayed in the Eva with Yui.

I don't agree with this.

It's hard for me to have a well developed idea of what is supposedly going on, not much detail is provided, and the "official" English translations are "mangled".

Can anyone suggest some good threads to point to? I'm short on time.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Merridian wrote:Not to mention any propaganda SEELE probably fed to him/the rest of the government.
Precisely -- SEELE were most certainly running black propaganda as part of their behind-the-scenes puppetry.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:27 pm

So, basically, if Gendo had been in charge, the world would've been in better shape than with Shinji?

What about the Angels? What would happen if they instigated it?
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Adekis wrote:So, basically, if Gendo had been in charge, the world would've been in better shape than with Shinji?
Shinji sorta did both SEELE's AND Gendo's scenario, but only at his mom's insistence. At first, everyone was of one mind, and then Shinji wasn't really happy with that, so he shattered everyone back into their identities and left the soup. I don't know how less traumatic the experience for the everyman would have been with Gendo in charge, but I doubt there would have been too much of a difference in the end.
:shrug: I suppose EoE/EoTV was ultimately Gendo's result (minus Gendo staying with Yui in Unit-01) through SEELE's means, but I'm still somewhat uncertain. Not like any of this shit is spelled out...

Adekis wrote:What would happen if they instigated it?
Everybody would have died, and the Angels would have lived forever. LCL-based life forms would have been killed off in favor of the PWM-based life-forms.

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Merridian wrote:Everybody would have died, and the Angels would have lived forever. LCL-based life forms would have been killed off in favor of the PWM-based life-forms.

A little off: Angels?Living on earth?Most of the Angels are created for combat...not for living.
I don't know,it makes no sense to me...
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Dranzer wrote:A little off: Angels?Living on earth?
Had Lilith not happened to arrive on the world where Adam had made planetfall, then there would have been a purely Adamic ecosystem. An Angel-initiated 3I would be a reset to their option.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Had Lilith not happened to arrive on the world where Adam had made planetfall, then there would have been a purely Adamic ecosystem. An Angel-initiated 3I would be a reset to their option.

I see... after my post,i was thinking almost about this. Now i understand.
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm not convinced there would have necessarily been an impact at all if Gendo got his way. Maybe he would have just taken Rei with him into 01, then the resulting gestalt would rule over humanity as a new god.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Iam(not)toji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Iam(not)toji » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:59 pm

So pretty much all we know is that Gendo wanted to use Rei to attain god powers and what he would have done with those god powers besides reunite himself with Yui is uncertain?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Everyone would've been fine, as all souls would've been collected in Unit 01 temporarily to ride out Third Impact. Afterwards, everyone would be released and allowed to rematerialize. Gendo would've stayed in the Eva with Yui.

I don't agree with this.

It's hard for me to have a well developed idea of what is supposedly going on, not much detail is provided, and the "official" English translations are "mangled".

Can anyone suggest some good threads to point to? I'm short on time.

Here's a thread where this is extensively debated.

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20[/url]
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Iam(not)toji wrote:So pretty much all we know is that Gendo wanted to use Rei to attain god powers and what he would have done with those god powers besides reunite himself with Yui is uncertain?
:thumbsup:

That's pretty much it. The only thing we know for certain is that he wanted to be reunited with Yui. I'm of the opinion that if he had achieved that nothing else would've happened. The only reason he would've had to initiate 3I would be to destroy the MPEs so there would be no possibility of mankind ever achieving 3I/Instrumentality again. But it seems to me that Gendo would be the guy to say "Screw you guys, I'm going home" and would've flown off with Yui into the space and eternity.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I like the manga's take on Gendo's plans. He doesn't just want to be reunited with Yui, he wants to remain a God. Of course the anime isn't the manga, but I never got very benevolent vibes from anime Gendo either.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

Okay, but though I'm sure the other Angels would've gone for this, I'm not sure about Tabris. He's a lot more complex and definitely more human. Would his aims have been SEELE's, or would he have had his own goals in mind?
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:30 am

Adekis wrote:He's a lot more complex and definitely more human. Would his aims have been SEELE's, or would he have had his own goals in mind?
I think he's only 'more human' in that he looks human, sounds human, and is otherwise relatable to other human beings. He's most certainly NOT human, though. Wasn't his body made up of PWM just like Rei's & the angels' were?

His goals would have definitely been his own, if he ever succeeded in the impact. However, since he had that weird 'free will' thing going on (and the fact he was duped... or WAS he?? :gasp: “wtf--Lilith? But the Director's Cuts told me I already KNEW that!" Ambiguity! Oh the drama!), he probably would have let Shinji squish him anyway. As it was, SEELE's plans for Kaworu amounted Kaworu dying just so Instrumentality could finally commence.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 am

SEELE didn't mean for him to die.
Not to begin with, anyway.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Yes, they did. They pretty much sent him on a suicide mission.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”