New insights on Sammael

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
mike
Embryo

New insights on Sammael

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:58 pm

Hey everyone, it's your resident lurker here with yet another interesting thing.

I was going to post this in the appropriate thread, but it was locked.

Anyways, I remember that a while back Reichu and Evamonkey were debating over whether the Sammael drawing in the intro was original or taken from a religious document. There was even a link to a page where some guy argued it had to be an authentic medieval design.

As I recall, the main objection to the Sammael drawing being older than NGE was the fact it had a core.

Well, ladies and gents, I give you this:

It's a design not unlike the one in eva. The funny thing is it actually does come from a highly religious place: the columns of the grand dome in the Hagia Sophia Church in Istambul/Constantinople.

Hope it helps the debate.

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:51 pm

um... what angel is sammael?
the world is just a sick and twisted place

mike
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Sammael is the 12-winged evil angel who some associate with EVA-01. He's also the angel represented by the weird diagram in the opening sequence.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 am

And those who aren't 1337 call him "Lucifer". ;)

I'm having trouble making out whatever it at the intersection of the wings... There are only six wings, as well, so that tells us straightaway that this particular image isn't Sammy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:15 am

MAby they just made it look cool?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

mike
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:43 am

Well, I didn't say it was Sammy per se, but that that sort of depiction of angelic beings was not made up by Gainax. As for the wings, they look like 6, but if you notice the bottom intersection it appears that the two shades are actually separate wings layered on top of each other.

However, it's 100% sure this isn't Sammael since this is from an orthodox church. It also shows how angelic beings were represented before they were all turned to good looking people.

I have no clue what the thing in the middle is supposed to be, only that it looked like solid gold and was very elaborate.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:32 am

Actually, no, Mike, you're right, it IS him. What you said about the two different shades can be applies to all of the wings... there are distinctly twelve, now that I count properly. ^_^; Interessant. So this does at least provide a depiction of Samm (or whatever one wants to call him; in Kabbalah, the names Sammael and Satan are identified together, and NGE draws from the Kabbalah, so it works for our purposes) in which he is some kind of object (face?) centered completely within twelve wings. They are not the telling wings-with-eyes, though... I think The Evangelion Style shows an engraving or something of this sort of Angel (if Aaron could scan it, that would be nice; my copy is at home presently), and one doujinshi gratuitously places a couple of these on its cover... I'll try posting that a little later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:52 am

Yeah i have seen this..I have traveled there when i was little..
It looks a lot like Sammael..Interesting mike!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:31 am

This is a facinating discovery; you need to put this in the Commentary, Reichu! Tho, I think that gold thing in the middle is a face, not a core...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”