Asuka's fate

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Asuka's fate

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:36 pm

So what happened to Asuka in EoE?

First she was on a coma,then she awakes on her Eva realises that her mother "was" with her all the time,hyper-sychronises with her and then she gets to fight with the Eva Series..

the point which is very confusing is did she die on this fight?that's what it seems..i mean "Lance of Longinus"-the copy actually-pierced her head,and then she got eaten by the Eva-series..who could have survived this situation?but if she did die why Rei-Lilith didn't appear to collect her soul like she did on the others(Misato,Ritsuko etc..)?
i believe Anno would show this,if it happened..it could not have been left out..

another thing that got me thinking is that we see Asuka to hold her stomach and eye like they're really damaged..we even see blood on her left eye..is that her imagination probably?

and something else..before Asuka's "connection" with her mother she keep telling-i don't wanna die,i don't wanna die..maybe this has something to do with her very strong will to live that's why she appears in the end of the movie..

your opinion?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:04 pm

In the movie, it heavily points to that Asuka dies. Especially when the Mass Production Eva's tear apart Eva-02 and carry away it's light carcass. And the emotional reaction from Shinji is extremely strong too. But, her soul was able to be collected during Third Impact, as we all know, Shinji wished to be with Asuka, and so, Rei brought her back for Shinji.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:56 pm

I believe that Asuka died in EoE, and the sight of her dead body is what drove Shinji to the final state of his madness. And I agree with her soul being collected as well. But I differ in that I believe Asuka came back, not only because Shinji wished it, but because of her strong will to live and that she wanted to be with him as well.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:43 pm

Hunter21 wrote:I believe that Asuka died in EoE, and the sight of her dead body is what drove Shinji to the final state of his madness.

First, Shinji never saw Asuka's dead body, only Kyoko-sama's.

And I'm pretty sure Shinji was driven more deeply into "madness" after this, considering the enormous lingering screams he released when he saw Giant Naked Rei and, afterwards, the harpies get even uglier than they were before.

Anyway, here's a pre-existing thread on the matter at that other forum.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Asuka's fate

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:08 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:So what happened to Asuka in EoE?

First she was on a coma,then she awakes on her Eva realises that her mother "was" with her all the time,hyper-sychronises with her and then she gets to fight with the Eva Series..

the point which is very confusing is did she die on this fight?that's what it seems..i mean "Lance of Longinus"-the copy actually-pierced her head,and then she got eaten by the Eva-series..who could have survived this situation?but if she did die why Rei-Lilith didn't appear to collect her soul like she did on the others(Misato,Ritsuko etc..)?
i believe Anno would show this,if it happened..it could not have been left out..

another thing that got me thinking is that we see Asuka to hold her stomach and eye like they're really damaged..we even see blood on her left eye..is that her imagination probably?

and something else..before Asuka's "connection" with her mother she keep telling-i don't wanna die,i don't wanna die..maybe this has something to do with her very strong will to live that's why she appears in the end of the movie..

your opinion?
With regard to the underlined above, it is important to note that when Rei appears before Misato and Ritsuko as they die in #25', she is not collecting their souls; that happens in #26' in the 3I sequence (where we see Rei by their bodies that have reverted to LCL, just like everyone else). In #25', Misato and Ritsuko's souls aren't going anywhere; the idea is that Rei is acting as a 'medium' to account for the presence of their minds in the Pre-3I Instrumentality sequence (i.e. #26', once Shinji goes sploosh in the entry plug, from the Sandbox Scene to the start of Komm Susser Tod)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: Asuka's fate

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:With regard to the underlined above, it is important to note that when Rei appears before Misato and Ritsuko as they die in #25', she is not collecting their souls; that happens in #26' in the 3I sequence (where we see Rei by their bodies that have reverted to LCL, just like everyone else). In #25', Misato and Ritsuko's souls aren't going anywhere; the idea is that Rei is acting as a 'medium' to account for the presence of their minds in the Pre-3I Instrumentality sequence (i.e. #26', once Shinji goes sploosh in the entry plug, from the Sandbox Scene to the start of Komm Susser Tod)

yeah you're right..my mistake..
it's good that you cleared this up...
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Hunter21 wrote:I believe that Asuka died in EoE, and the sight of her dead body is what drove Shinji to the final state of his madness. And I agree with her soul being collected as well. But I differ in that I believe Asuka came back, not only because Shinji wished it, but because of her strong will to live and that she wanted to be with him as well.

One of the alternate endings had Shinji making a grave for Asuka, implying that he didn't realize she would come back, so I tend to agree.
Shin-Seiki wrote:With regard to the underlined above, it is important to note that when Rei appears before Misato and Ritsuko as they die in #25', she is not collecting their souls; that happens in #26' in the 3I sequence (where we see Rei by their bodies that have reverted to LCL, just like everyone else). In #25', Misato and Ritsuko's souls aren't going anywhere; the idea is that Rei is acting as a 'medium' to account for the presence of their minds in the Pre-3I Instrumentality sequence (i.e. #26', once Shinji goes sploosh in the entry plug, from the Sandbox Scene to the start of Komm Susser Tod)

And what of Kaworu? I suppose she was able to collect his soul (Adam's soul, if you prefer) in epidode 24 right after he was decapitated?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 pm

Phaze wrote:And what of Kaworu? I suppose she was able to collect his soul (Adam's soul, if you prefer) in epidode 24 right after he was decapitated?

Gendo apparently collected Kaworu's head and put the soul back in its body (which just happened to be attached to his right palm) himself. When Rei took Adam from Gendo, she got Adam's soul, as well, which explains what Kaworu is doing in GNR shortly thereafter.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:30 pm

Reichu wrote:Anyway,here's a pre-existing thread on the matter at that other forum.

Read it and all it really says is the same thing we already said, Asuka dies in EoE. What happens during 3I is what is more important, and I still stick by my original statement that Asuka wanted to come back as well. And please don't derail the post by going on some oddball kaworu slant. Just make a new topic post.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:08 am

Hunter21 wrote:And please don't derail the post by going on some oddball kaworu slant. Just make a new topic post.

Phaze started it. :points accusingly:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:21 pm

er...if you look at the pictures of eva 02, you can see that part of the chest is intact (part of the arm, the head, neck as well as the shoulders) so there is a great chance that the entry plug was still intact.
Asuka may have survived, seeing as she would have felt the pain, but not died (she would have significant nerve damage though)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:26 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:er...if you look at the pictures of eva 02, you can see that part of the chest is intact (part of the arm, the head, neck as well as the shoulders) so there is a great chance that the entry plug was still intact.

No.

Read that thread I linked to earlier.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:10 am

oops, sorry about that...

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:19 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:er...if you look at the pictures of eva 02, you can see that part of the chest is intact (part of the arm, the head, neck as well as the shoulders) so there is a great chance that the entry plug was still intact.
Asuka may have survived, seeing as she would have felt the pain, but not died (she would have significant nerve damage though)

you may have a good point here sss..if someone could give screenshots that would be great..

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:52 pm

I've always though MOST of what happened to Asuka in EoE was clear. As clear as things get in eva that is. :lol:

Now we see waht happens to her in unit 2 for the most part. We do not actualy see her " die " or Rei collect her sole, we do know she ended up in instrumentality. So she ether died ( wich is most likly) or was injured to the point of death. The fact that the wounds from the battle were on HER body as well as the eva's we can chulk that up to the copies of the lance or the high synch ration or other techno-babble.

What im realy intrested in knowing was if she like Shinji got a last minute talk from her mother before she came back to her physical form. Now we did hear her mother wispering to her when the JSSDF was bombing her under the lake telling her to go on living, and this is probly the message her mom would be trying send her.

Asuka is IMHO the most messed up of the children, but like Yui said while you are alive their is hope. So I guss shes got a chance, but it up to her.

So I think that as of the End of Evangelion Asuka's fate is really in her own hands.
Last edited by DatDude on Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:33 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:you may have a good point here sss..if someone could give screenshots that would be great..

Again, read that thread I linked to earlier. We jot off all of the reasons Asuka died; there is no way she lived, and nothing is gained by pretending that she could have. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:19 am

Reichu wrote:
the_seventh_child wrote:you may have a good point here sss..if someone could give screenshots that would be great..

Again, read that thread I linked to earlier. We jot off all of the reasons Asuka died; there is no way she lived, and nothing is gained by pretending that she could have. :P

yeah Reichu i've read it but there is not any part which reffers to the Eva-02 destruction and entry plug like sss said..

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:35 am

the_seventh_child wrote:
Reichu wrote:

yeah Reichu i've read it but there is not any part which reffers to the Eva-02 destruction and entry plug like sss said..

But the destruction of the entry plug is irrelivent if the copies of the Lance did as much damage to Asuka as they looked like they did. I refer you to the point when her arm is split lengthwise when the lance splits Unit 02's arm. If the other lances that then hit have the same effect, there is no possible way for Asuka to survive it.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:00 am

i dont know if they truly did the damage that it seemed like they were doing...
perhaps it was all psychological?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:21 am

the_seventh_child wrote:yeah Reichu i've read it but there is not any part which reffers to the Eva-02 destruction and entry plug like sss said..

I suppose you missed some of the points I made there, then.

First off, Maya seemed to be in the know about what happened to EVA-02 and Asuka, but it was too terrible for her to bother finishing her sentences. "Shinji-kun! Eva Nigouki ga! Asuka ga! Asuka ga!!!" Honestly, would she have reacted in such a manner if Asuka was alright?

And let me reiterate all of the same ol' points:

(1) Regardless of whether or not the Spear wounds physically manifested in Asuka herself, just being neurologically connected to an Eva as she is killed would certainly be enough to kill Asuka herself. Nerv fret enough about pilots being connected to their Evas as the Evas are decapitated, or whatever, and that stuff doesn't even KILL the Eva.

(2) In order for EVA-02 to actually die (and she DID), one of the Spears must have pierced her core. The entry plug actually enters the core for synchronization to occur -- so any Spear that skewered Kyoko's core would have had an all-too-good chance of getting Asuka, too.

(3) Even if the plug was still intact afterwards, recall that EVA-02 is dismembered, carried up into the air, and subsequently dropped. A much greater drop, I would imagine, than Rei faced after being ejected from EVA-00 in the #05 flashback -- and look how much THAT messed her up.

(4) Even if you want to go and say Asuka somehow survived all that, there is a very big reason why that would have all ended:

This is the big fucking explosion that exposed the Black Moon. Everything on the Geofront itself was burnt to a crisp. All of the poor JSSDF bastards were vaporized instantly. And so too, I imagine, would have the tattered remnants of Kyoko-sama.

And to top that all off, one of the unused BGMs for EoE is described as "Asuka's death". Sure, it was unused, but, I mean... come on. People.

She died already.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”