So what exactly are those drawings in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Everyone has said things that I wanted to say, but I like how the marker drawings resemble the colouring used in ep 26's sequence where the animation becomes the same style.

Though I don't know why Misato suddely had blue hair there. More on the weirdness of blue/purple colour perception, I guess.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:34 am

The creepiest drawing for me would be the "angry face"... reminds me of a demon.

Actually, the pictures make me think of Silent Hill...

Maybe they got that idea for the messed up kids pictures from Eva?
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

The bizarre drawings of EoE

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I wasn't really sure what to search for.

What is up with the drawings (like the fish in my avatar) during the beginning of Komm Susser Todd? Is there any sort of known background behind them or has it just been left purposely ambiguous?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The bizarre drawings of EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Merged

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but I wasn't really sure what to search for.

What is up with the drawings (like the fish in my avatar) during the beginning of Komm Susser Todd? Is there any sort of known background behind them or has it just been left purposely ambiguous?

There's screenshots of the drawings, but what they really mean? Dunno.

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:47 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:For what it's worth:

*Posts assload of images*

I find it funny that the last two are so nonchalant in comparison to the others.

"BLOODY MURDER! DEAD DOG! DEMON FACE! Kitty! :D"
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 am

Can't cite the source right off hand, but I seem to recall that these were supposed to be "therapeutic" drawings by children who had survived violent or otherwise traumatic situations.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 pm

If so, I wonder how they went about getting that. Did they have some intern cold calling mental health facilities asking for graphic drawings produced by disturbed children? Did the kids' families have a say?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If so, I wonder how they went about getting that. Did they have some intern cold calling mental health facilities asking for graphic drawings produced by disturbed children? Did the kids' families have a say?

If that isn't just a theory and someone in the studion just scribbled those down. I guess there's gotta be some in the public domain or so.

Reminds me of when a woman from Palestina came to our school to talk about her country's political situation. There was that part where she relayed how her daughter, who had, until then, proudly presented her drawings of flowers and ponies and the like, stopped showing her any more paintings.
Then, she found out by chance that she (the daughter) hadn't actually stopped drawing pictures - but she was drawing what she saw everyday, bombs and missiles and walls, and didn't want her mother to see it.

Or the time I witnessed an exposition of pictures drawn by kids at the Terezin concentration camp. I guess the russians, americans or whoverver liberated the place thought they should be preserved for future generations. It was just the same bizzarre combination of stickmen-depictions of brutality and shockingly normal images...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

Or they could have been reproductions of actual drawings.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 pm

View Original PostShin-seiki wrote:Can't cite the source right off hand, but I seem to recall that these were supposed to be "therapeutic" drawings by children who had survived violent or otherwise traumatic situations.

TvTropes claims that they were drawn by child abuse victims. However, it doesn't give a source, and i can't find any other place that mentions it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

ruffmanl
Embryo

Children's Drawings in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby ruffmanl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 am

So this is going to sound kind of ignorant, so I apologize in advanced.

Recently I had a long discussion with my friend over the interpretation of the EoE and the original final two episodes. He told me that it is two alternative endings of the same situation. The TV ending is Shinji accepting the singularity and deciding to live in "the matrix" created by the Human Instrumentality Project, meanwhile he decides he needs to live in the real world even if it means suffering in the movie.

My friend cited a bunch of children's drawings which appear in EoE that are also events which took place in the TV show. I searched high and low throughout google with a variety of keywords to try to not only find these children's drawings but also theories about them. I was unable to find either. This is my first post on these forums because I am very curious:

a. What are these children's drawings? Not just what they are figuratively, but also literally, what was drawn?

b. Were these really events from the TV show, appearing in the movie in the form of a child's drawings? If so, what does that mean? Who drew them?

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid and I can get an asnwer, thank you!
kjlh

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am

Well, some children's drawings can be seen shortly after the beginning of this sequence:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLoNOYcVQU[/url]

I think your friends have it backwards, though. In the TV version of Episode 25/26 there are childrens' drawings that periodically appear on the screen, showing events that are occurring/have occurred in the "real world" (that is to say, outside of Instrumentality, during EoE). So the children's drawings your friends are referring to appear in the TV series, and depict events from EoE (or rather, events that would be depicted in EoE, as the TV series aired before EoE)

Here is a comparison of an image from the TV series Episode 25/26, and an event shown in the movie:

SPOILER: Show
TV:Image
The End of Evangelion:Image

There are also several other drawings throughout the TV episodes 25/26 depicting important events which were later shown in the EoE Episode 25'/26', such as Ritsuko's dead body. In response to your questions:

a) The drawings in TV Episodes 25/26 seem to depict events in EoE, such as Eva-02 submerged in the lake (shown above), Ritsuko's dead body, and Misato's death.

b)It would seem that the drawings are depictions of events that occurred prior to the start of Instrumentality. It appears that TV Episodes 25/26 are set during Instrumentality, which occurs towards the end of EoE. It seems that Episodes 25/26 occur during this time period, after everyone has been reverted to LCL by Lilith but before Shinji rejects Instrumentality. Thus they can be considered "flashbacks" of important events that occurred prior to Instrumentality, produced by the result of everyone being merged, rather than actual physical drawings. It would be more accurate to think of them as "events from the movie being depicted in the TV series". They may have been intended as a preview for the End of Evangelion movie, which hadn't been released yet when the TV series ended.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Here is a comparison of an image from the TV series Episode 25/26, and an event shown in the movie:

TV:
The End of Evangelion:
The 4:3 format for the latter image is all the clue you need to know that it is from the series (at 6m12s into episode 25, to be precise, since that's the screen cap on my server) and not the 16:9 format of EoE; the former is one of the production drawings for the scene as included as supplemental material in the Japanese Renewal release.

The drawings like the fish head in a jar are only in EoE, during Komm Susser Tod.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 am

After re-watching, I found that what I remember was incorrect. The reality scenes were drawn normally instead of rendered as children's drawings. My humble apologies.

The only children's drawings are found in the Komm Susser Tod sequence I linked above. There aren't any children's drawings linking EoE and the TV series. Unless you count the preview at the end of the Renewal version of Epidoe 24.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 pm

The preview isn't implied childrens' drawing, it's just early animation in the production I think.
But the drawings of EoE do appear in the series, episode 22. I think... And I think in a scene from the director's cut, since it was made as the same time as EoE AFAIK.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:02 am

I thought about starting a new thread, but it wouldn't make sense when the old one's still up. So, I found this.

http://listverse.com/2013/07/18/10-creepiest-stories-from-behind-movie-scenes/

Which cites TV Tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/NeonGenesisEvangelion

"According to the commentary, those drawings were made by abused children."

What commentary? The English commentary? The Japanese commentary? Is there a Japanese commentary? I just checked the English commentary, and there's no mention of abused children during Komm Susser Tod.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:34 am

There was a written commentary included in the Eva Fan Club newsletters that were packaged with the Japanese releases. I don't see anything obviously discussing those drawings, but the print is very small and hard to skim, so someone with a bit more fluency should look it over.

lol @ citing TV Tropes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:48 am

Are there scans of the Eva Fan Club newsletters anywhere online? They're not on the wiki.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Eva_Fan_Club

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 pm

The only full set of scans I remember going around was really low res and hard to read. I remember asking Bagheera to scan the last couple of newsletters eons ago. They're probably still trapped on my old laptop somewhere, or worst case I could eventually make fresh new scans, but it might be faster to PM him and ask if they're on hand.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”