A Very Confusing Question

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

A Very Confusing Question

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Okay, guys, on the last post "Who built the Geo-Front/NERV HQ?", well, Squiggy, a new person here, has asked the question

"How the hell do the Evangelions get to Tokyo-3 all above the Geo-Front? Well, I'm confused as well. There's nothing but a big, empty space between them. The Evangelion catapults which launch the Evangelions to the surface are obviously within NERV HQ correct? Well, I don't see how they can just "catapult" all the way up there. I don't see any "shaft" which distinguishes it as a launch catapult. Even in Episode 11, there was no power, yet all the Evas had to somehow crawl through all the shafts and reach Tokyo-3. However, the question is, HOW?"

Any ideas and opinions anyone?

Most of this is credited to Squiggy, for telling me about this.
:)
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Invisible elevators...
HABEEB IT:

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:18 pm

I haven seen that in a long time
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:44 pm

I guess whoever compiled that image couldn't come up with a satisfactory explanation, either.

I remember that speculation of ours once upon a time, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Where on earth is that from?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Sauce or GTFO

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:32 am

There's a diagram in the show that symbolizes where the EVA is traveling on the elevator, based on what I can remember, that seems accurate, the slant turning into a straight line is defiantly something I recognize. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:30 pm

The Eva Pens aren't inside of the pyramid-building, they're deep underground beneath it;

the idea is that the catapults do launch the Evas "up" and gain momentum, but it's really a magnetic catapult for the platform they're standing on.

As we have seen in a few episodes showing the map of catapult-tube routes, it's not a straight line to the surface; they actually zag-zag all around before getting up top. That's how they don't just exit in one place every single time.

So it doesn't really strike me as a particular problem.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:59 am

I'm still a giant newbie here despite the fact I posted several threads on the Discussion Forum. And this was Squiggly's idea, so don't blame me. Or him. Anyway, we're all curious once in a while.
>>Nothing<<

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:I'm still a giant newbie here despite the fact I posted several threads on the Discussion Forum.

... your point? As a noob, your only way of really learning on this site is if you ask questions and discuss things about the show, the fact that you post comments here is nothing special. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Asking questions is the only way to learn things about Evangelion, and is the life blood of the site. Actually, lurking can also have payoffs, but is less productive in terms of theory analysis.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:50 am

You're really annoying me now. Why don't you stay on-topic? And stop gibbering about this and that?
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:You're really annoying me now. Why don't you stay on-topic? And stop gibbering about this and that?

wow, u get annoyed quickly.
i remember back when i first joined here, i felt like such an idiot.
but after a while, you learn a few things and begin to understand the confusing logic of Evangelion and are able to figure things out on your own. but hell, what do i know, i still feel like an idiot in this place.
lol

wow....where do u guys get all these pics from? im definently keeping that one
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 am

Quickly? No, not quickly, I keep my patience, however, people like HIM start to annoy me, and get enormously off-topic. When it gets to a point where it goes too far, I burst, or I might report it to the admins. :twisted:
>>Nothing<<

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:38 am

A post edit is fine, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:01 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Quickly? No, not quickly, I keep my patience, however, people like HIM start to annoy me, and get enormously off-topic. When it gets to a point where it goes too far, I burst, or I might report it to the admins. :twisted:

Er... Your not talking about me, are you? 8)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:20 am

probably

BACK ON TOPIC, BITCHES!
(i've always wanted to say that)
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:56 am

There are several visual clues that might explain how those crazy catapults work. Keep in mind that it may involve something that the animators didn't show us. In episode #1 we are shown the hatches of the catapult open in sequence. The revealed passage suggests that the lift goes strait to the surface. This would mean that the lift passes through the geofront cavity. In episode #19 Unit-01 and Zeruel are launched from the same catapult and are sent flying (literally) into the geofront and NOT onto the surface. If the lift was only supposed to access the geofront cavity then there would probably be a permanent locking mechanism to keep the Evas from being catapulted into the air! Assuming the lift does go in a strait line as is suggested, the buildings in accommodation mode might extend to the ground of the geofront cavity and form a vertical chute. That would actually serve as a greater incentive for having the buildings sink into the geofront. Operating the Evas efficiently is obviously more important than protecting civilians. They're just expendable tax-payers after all!
Last edited by Skullraper on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:07 am

The buildings don't reach the ground inside the geofront

You can see in the launch route composite image that there are endpoints that doesn't seem to be on the surface (2B service area).

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 am

I realize my theory is a bit of a stretch but it would explain the visual discrepancies I mentioned. Also, I'm not suggesting that the lifts have only one destination. The buildings are as tall as 300 meters. If they are capable of housing at least triple their length internally they might be able to reach ground level.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”