Sexualization of Minor characters in Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:10 pm

Well, like many have said, Eva does contain sexual tension, innuendo and situations because the three most important characters are 14 and they are just discovering sex, and/or their sexuality. (i think discovering their sexuality is a little strong, i could be wrong) Again, they are just entering puberty, meaning they are old enough to have those certain parts blossoming. So, they can be somewhat appealable, unfortunately, for 14 year olds. Then again, I think they slightly exaggerated on some parts of the 14 year old girls in the series.

And so, we get somewhat sexual appelable characters, but not really mature enough to be pleasing to the eyes as older characters. So, they change the mood completely to increase the sex appeal. So we get interesting pictures that ARE OFFICIAL RELEASES. It's because I think Gainax realized it'd be hard to market 14 year olds as normal 14 year olds in the sex appeal. Other shows like Cowboy Bebop, Love Hina, FLCL, Excel Saga have older, more mature women who are easy to sell without exploiting them to hentai. Pick a sexy pose with some attractive or as revealing as possible clothing and the posters, statues, cels and other merchandize sell like hot cakes.

So in conclusion, Gainax "spiced-up" Asuka, Rei and the other kids who would be any way or form appealing, in able to market them with the ease. They are basically competeing with other companies who have it easier sometimes because their characters are more appealable because of their sexual maturity (in most cases).

Phew....that was like writing a paper....but I enjoyed it!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:44 pm

If what you say is true cain, how come Gainax didn't just make the characters older?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Well, the girls DO look a little 'older' than they should, but then, compare them to Misato or Ritsuko, and they suddenly dont look all that mature.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:14 pm

what it all boils down to is this, sex plays a major part in evangelion whether its the fan service or actual important canon. that said whether you want to admit it or not evangelion is a very religiously and psychologically inclined series. while the theology is quite cabalistic in its intentions and the psychology stems from Freud, and he believed that in the end it all boiled down to sex. religion is very sexual as well, even if its a sin, the very fabric of it revolves around sex. the "tree of life" and "spear and the cup" "ecstasy of penetration", it all comes down to sex.
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:52 pm

ShoKenju wrote:what it all boils down to is this, sex plays a major part in evangelion whether its the fan service or actual important canon. that said whether you want to admit it or not evangelion is a very religiously and psychologically inclined series. while the theology is quite cabalistic in its intentions and the psychology stems from Freud, and he believed that in the end it all boiled down to sex. religion is very sexual as well, even if its a sin, the very fabric of it revolves around sex. the "tree of life" and "spear and the cup" "ecstasy of penetration", it all comes down to sex.

Actually I think the psychology in Evangelion comes more from Carl Jung than it does from Sigmund Freud.

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:08 pm

Eva hentai roxxorz!

Umm i mean NO! BAD MAX!! BAAD!!! *slaps himself*

I'm ok now.

My goal is to move to Japan and be a Hentai animator. (That and taking over the world)
But really, i don't see anything wrong with Eva's preteen sexualization. Cuz THEY ARE NOT REAL! THEY ARE DRAWINGS!!

But don't mind me, i think about sex every 5 seconds. Ooo here i go again >_>
Last edited by max3000 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:53 pm

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe wrote:
ShoKenju wrote:what it all boils down to is this, sex plays a major part in evangelion whether its the fan service or actual important canon. that said whether you want to admit it or not evangelion is a very religiously and psychologically inclined series. while the theology is quite cabalistic in its intentions and the psychology stems from Freud, and he believed that in the end it all boiled down to sex. religion is very sexual as well, even if its a sin, the very fabric of it revolves around sex. the "tree of life" and "spear and the cup" "ecstasy of penetration", it all comes down to sex.

Actually I think the psychology in Evangelion comes more from Carl Jung than it does from Sigmund Freud.

Carl Jung is a neofreudian.

basically a belief in Freud with minor altercations
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

EvaPimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPimp » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:40 pm

max3000 wrote:But really, i don't see anything wrong with Eva's preteen sexualization. Cuz THEY ARE NOT REAL! THEY ARE DRAWINGS!!

My sentiments exactly.

EvaPimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPimp » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:42 pm

By the way, I have some pics from an official calendar from Gainax....Im not so sure if I should upload them....
But...you guys should see that Gainax are real horndogs....

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:13 pm

ShoKenju wrote:Carl Jung is a neofreudian.

basically a belief in Freud with minor altercations

I wouldn't exactly call the difference between Jung's theories and Freud's minor.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:40 pm

Freud actually went on to admit some of his theories were completely wrong, and went on to new ideas, many of which sounded suspiciously like Jung's.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:05 pm

Those life-size figures--scariest damn things I've ever seen.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:35 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Those life-size figures--scariest damn things I've ever seen.

No, i'm sorry, but that is defintely not the scariest thing available. A little while ago, I was looking for the Der Mond artbook, just to price it at several sites. I found an artbook of various characters from gainax in nude poses. That's EVERY character. Misato, Asuka, Hikari, Rei, Maya, Ritsko.....and yes, the REALLY disturbing part, Shinji, Touji, and.....Gendo in nude poses??!!! :shock:

Talk about sick.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:43 pm

What you call sick some people call a good time.

EvaPimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPimp » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 pm

houtaru wrote:

I found an artbook of various characters from gainax in nude poses. That's EVERY character. Misato, Asuka, Hikari, Rei, Maya, Ritsko.....and yes, the REALLY disturbing part, Shinji, Touji, and.....Gendo in nude poses??!!! :shock:

Talk about sick.

Is this what you're talking about?
http://medlem.spray.se/steffie1111/Gainax/Pictures_Frame.html

[/url]

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:16 pm

MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:41 pm

That book might be disturbing, but it isn't scary as in genuinely nightmare-inspiring. Those Rei and Asuka dolls look like they might come to life in the middle of the night and stab you.

That book actually has some pretty cool stuff in it.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:57 am

EvaPimp wrote:
houtaru wrote:

I found an artbook of various characters from gainax in nude poses. That's EVERY character. Misato, Asuka, Hikari, Rei, Maya, Ritsko.....and yes, the REALLY disturbing part, Shinji, Touji, and.....Gendo in nude poses??!!! :shock:

Talk about sick.

Is this what you're talking about?
http://medlem.spray.se/steffie1111/Gainax/Pictures_Frame.html

[/url]

Yeah, that's it. I just couldn't believe anyone would want to see Gendo naked. Maybe its for comedic purposes.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:48 am

Thankfully, my computer hated the pictures and decided not to show them. But the thumbnails were enough for me.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:50 pm

Karma Burn wrote:Thankfully, my computer hated the pictures and decided not to show them. But the thumbnails were enough for me.

Samething happened to me but I would like to see SOME of the thumbnails but my computer does not......

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”