Episode 20

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nukie
Lilith

Episode 20

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:35 pm

This episode seems to rarely come up in conversations. I was just wondering- what were Yui's motives in keeping Shinji with her for a month and fucking with his mind, tempting him with (what seems to me) complementation. (EoE liberally steals from this episode, by the by.)
-!

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:11 pm

She didn't keep him there.
ep #20 wrote:IBUKI:
It's no good. The ego border is frozen in a loop.

RITSUKO:
Try firing all range of waveforms in all directions.

RITSUKO:
It's not working. The signals are being trapped in Klein space.

Misato:
What does that mean?

RITSUKO:
It means we failed.

RITSUKO (OFF):
Abort intervention. Reverse tangent plug.
Return the additive value to zero.

IBUKI:
Yes, Ma'am.

AOBA:
Destrudo reaction in the old area. Pattern sepia.

HYUGA:
We've detected a change in the core pulse too!
Plus 0.3 is confirmed!

RITSUKO:
Maintenance of the status quo is top priority.
Prevent back flow.

IBUKI:
Yes, Ma'am.
Plus 0.5... 0.8... This is odd. I can't stop it!

RITSUKO:
What is this? Why?
Don't you want to come back, Shinji?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:32 pm

Yui's the only reason Shinji got out alive without losing anything more than the shirt off his back... and ended up plus a plugsuit. But that's for another devotee gratification session.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:00 pm

in some way, Shinji didnt want out
if you think about it, its just another way for him to get away from the world
he's always trying to run away
Yui probaby convinced him otherwise

i dont know, i havnt watched that episode in a while

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 pm

That's actually one of my favorite episodes. a lot going on under the surface there.

I don't think Yui was trying to screw with Shinji's mind, I think she was trying to understand and help him understand what he wanted and guide him toward what he needed. I don't think (prepared to be wrong here) that Yui ever really says whether she's for/against Complementation. So if she was neutral, she might not have cared which way Shinji went. She just wanted him to be able to live and be happy with his decision.

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:That's actually one of my favorite episodes. a lot going on under the surface there.

I don't think Yui was trying to screw with Shinji's mind, I think she was trying to understand and help him understand what he wanted and guide him toward what he needed. I don't think (prepared to be wrong here) that Yui ever really says whether she's for/against Complementation. So if she was neutral, she might not have cared which way Shinji went. She just wanted him to be able to live and be happy with his decision.

This makes sense to me.
-!

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:56 pm

if Yui was neutral to Instrumentality she wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of inventing the Eva...going inside one...and ending the world...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Agree with master0rolando except for "the ending the world" part. I mean, yes, things are destoryed, but it's not like life CAN'T go on or anything.

I'd say both she, Kaworu and Rei wanted to Shinji realize for himself what the right choice was, thus letting him learn he CAN become happy so as long as he's living. Image

*sigh* I always get episodes 20 and 16 mixed up because they both have the personal hell (train) and ZOMG TEH Yui aspects to them... I know the differences in terms of the plot, I'm just talking about in terms of the psycholigcal aspect of each episode. Anyway to keep them straight?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 am

Yui thought what she was doing was for Shinji. She wanted to make a future that was best for him. If you look at all the episodes where she's, uhhhh, chatting with Shinji in a matter of speaking, she doesn't seem to be "pushing" him towards anything. Remember that even Fuyutsuki said in the flashback episode "I support your plans, not Seele's." So how are we to know if Yui was ever pro-Instrumentality?

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:01 am

ep #21' wrote:TEXT:
Year 2003
Ashinoko Lakefront, Hakone

FUYUTSUKI:
Today is just like every other day.
The disappearance of autumn from this country is truly sad.
The Secret Dead Sea Scrolls that Seele possesses...
If things happen as it is written in those scrolls,
the Third Impact will happen in another decade or so without fail.

YUI:
The organizations are meant to prevent the final tragedy.
That is what Seele and Gehirn are.

FUYUTSUKI:
I support your ideas, not Seele's.

YUI:
Professor Fuyutsuki, it will be very dangerous
to unleash that seal upon the world
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 am

Perhaps I'm dense: What does that line prove?

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:28 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yui thought what she was doing was for Shinji. She wanted to make a future that was best for him.

Gee Wiz Yui, Thanks For Everything! Don't let that Asteroid hit you in the ass on your way out of the Solar System! :roll:
Last edited by TriLink on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:53 am

What was the alternative? Assuming she had nothing to do with 2I, apparantly Seele, and probably Yui, knew about the Angels iminent 2nd coming. So the Eva project, to her, was something meant to protect mankind from the angels. I don't know if we know the extent of Yui's knowledge reguarding the angels, 2I, and Instrumentality in reguards to Seele's plans.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:58 am

How much of the proceedings was Yui really involved in? Shinji was just kinda floating around in the plug OUTSIDE of Sho's body for most of that month. He didn't get "quantum-funneled" into Yui's core until later on. The stuff they say about Shinji being "absorbed by" or "floating around in" the Eva never made much sense to me.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Perhaps I'm dense: What does that line prove?

Better yet, what does that line mean?

SSD wrote:*sigh* I always get episodes 20 and 16 mixed up because they both have the personal hell (train) and ZOMG TEH Yui aspects to them... I know the differences in terms of the plot, I'm just talking about in terms of the psycholigcal aspect of each episode. Anyway to keep them straight?

Episode #20 is the second recyclorama episode (after #14), the mindfuck aspect is more extensive and intense, and it has lots of watery imagery thrown in (to go along with Shinji being "seimei no soup") -- the falling water droplet, the water lapping on the shore, the view of the water's surface from below, etc. Plus it has the "Do you want to become one with me?" sequence, to go along with the Tang/Instrumentality stuff.

BTW, guys, we have threads for Yui/3I/etc. -- talk about that stuff there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jakewashere
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jakewashere » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:07 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'd say both she, Kaworu and Rei wanted to Shinji realize for himself what the right choice was, thus letting him learn he CAN become happy so as long as he's living.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yui thought what she was doing was for Shinji. She wanted to make a future that was best for him.

AGAIN:

At this point I don't think I really need to explain my antipathy toward Yui.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:26 pm

Reichu wrote:
BTW, guys, we have threads for Yui/3I/etc. -- talk about that stuff there.
It's kinda hard to get into a Yui/Shinji discussion without bringing that up...

jakewashere wrote:
At this point I don't think I really need to explain my antipathy toward Yui.
Hey, nobody ever said life was going to be easy - and since it's NGE it's not just going to not be easy, it's going to be f'ing hard! But assuming 3I was probably going to happen anyway, Yui and Rei gave Shinji the power to decide what he wanted to do. It was his choice to return to the harsh reality of, uhhhh, reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Reichu wrote:BTW, guys, we have threads for Yui/3I/etc. -- talk about that stuff there.

Should I dig one up? (A search for "Yui" and "bitch" would probably yield, heh.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 pm

What Eva Yojimbo and Reichu said.

@ Reichu: Yay, so my theory about "watashi to hitosu ni naratai deshou" = Instrumentality is right! :D

/Off-topicness

jakewashere
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jakewashere » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
jakewashere wrote:At this point I don't think I really need to explain my antipathy toward Yui.

Hey, nobody ever said life was going to be easy - and since it's NGE it's not just going to not be easy, it's going to be f'ing hard!

I think my beef with that statement of Yui's can be summed up this way:

Life is hard, she says, but life can also be fulfilling and happy if you put a little effort into it. This, from a rational point of view, cannot apply to Shinji, given the world he is bequeathed. Yui's advice to Shinji is really Anno's advice to us - and no matter how good that advice may be to us who are watching, it does nothing to help the characters, who have been abandoned to a deserted Planet Earth that looks like a Salvador-Dali-with-food-poisoning fever dream. Where's the fulfillment in that world? Where, in fact, is the wherewithal to survive, let alone to thrive and be happy? Neither Yui nor Anno ever provides us with a satisfactory explanation.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:05 pm

The fact Shinji managed to hang in there (in terms of staying alive, not so much his mental state from prolonged isolation and Pre-Instrumentality :roll:) while being alone for 2 months or so has got to count for something. See this thread: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2270
Plus there's a cut of a city in the distance in the Yume no Sukima scene....

/Off Topic Reply

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”