The NERV logo, what does it all mean?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.W.Robson46290
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C.W.Robson46290 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Reichu wrote: If I had to guess, "Neo Earth of Return Veneration". Ah, Engrish at its finest!

That sounds like a pretty sound/plausible acronym, and if it turns out that NERV is an acronym, don't you think that GEHIRN also would be an acronym? If so, what would be an equally plausible acronym for it?
The difference between intelligence and wisdom is knowing when to stop giving advice.

If you continually focus on what makes someone different from you, you'll never realize how truly similar you are.

Pman
Embryo

The fig leaf!

•      
  •      

Postby Pman » Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 pm

NERV.
Fig leaf.

The fig leaf is known to hide something sinister, like Human Instrumentality Project or the 3I.
I found this while researching for Renaissance statues.
This may mean absolutely nothing, while it might serve a greater purpose.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon May 24, 2010 7:53 pm

This was mentioned in the show's commentary.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon May 24, 2010 8:50 pm

MERGE FOR THE KILL.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon May 24, 2010 9:08 pm

View Original PostPhaze wrote:Adam and Eve, after eating from the tree of life (they ate the fruit of wisdom) covered there nudeness with fig leaves.

It wasn't their nudity that they covered. They among fig trees to try to hide their shame.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon May 24, 2010 9:13 pm

It's both, actually.

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, 'Where are you?'"

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, i read the previous posts but who knows maybe i missed something.

While watching Evangelion i've always just figured they chose the names of the organizations based on what role they filled. Seele was the "soul" of the operations, the main organization that all others must listen to and follow.

Before NERV was NERV, it was Gehirn, and it mainly focused on research and creating new technology such as the MAGI systems. Gehirn, as many already know means "brain", so during this time they acted as the "brain" for Seele.

When Gehirn was turned into NERV, their mission changed from a role that used to be devoted primarily to research and development over to a role of defending Earth from the threat of Angels. I believe the name change was just to fit their new role, as the "nerve"'s of Seele, reacting to any situation and responding to it with the resources at their disposal. You can relate this to our nerves in our body reacting to situations imposed on them.

So this was all just my thought process from when i first watched the show years ago, and they have stuck with me ever since.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:It's both, actually.

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, 'Where are you?'"

NIV uses the Masoretic Texts, which aren't the oldest known texts. Next time, use another translation.

The oldest texts say that they realised they were sinful and hid, than tell YHVH that they hid because they were naked.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 29, 2010 10:24 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:It wasn't their nudity that they covered. They among fig trees to try to hide their shame.
View Original PostLegendary wrote:It's both, actually.
What's important to keep in mind is the metaphoric link to NGE. Namely, the idea of the exile from perfect "oneness" with God the creator (which echoes the "oneness" of Instrumentality inside Lilith the mother/creator) because of the emergence of consciousness/knowledge which coincides with science/knowledge (which, as we learn, is mankind's power) and our "flaws" become our individuality and separation from each other and God. There's also some Jungian links I could dig up if anyone cares.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:NIV uses the Masoretic Texts, which aren't the oldest known texts. Next time, use another translation.

The oldest texts say that they realised they were sinful and hid, than tell YHVH that they hid because they were naked.
sounds to me like splitting hairs, but if you can find "more authentic" texts than those found in the Jewish Bible, then go right ahead and source 'em, please :)

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:sounds to me like splitting hairs, but if you can find "more authentic" texts than those found in the Jewish Bible, then go right ahead and source 'em, please :)

There's more than one Jewish Bible. Over the years, it, like any long standing text, was edited by people who didn't know what they were talking about. Thus, we must assume the oldest manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible to be true. The Masoretic texts are quite recent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the real!Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest known texts.
/hj

Raiden
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Raiden » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the real!Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest known texts.

Yes this is right, but:

1. Noone is "hiding" it. Anyone can study it even in Inet.

2. From the time of first foundings (early 1940th) there was a rumours of "Bible text chainging", but it stays only a rumours.

3."Dead Sea Scrolls" does not hold complete texts of Bibble (I mean "Old Testament", of course)
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:31 pm

I was chiefly referring to the Hebrew texts.

And anyone can see the more obvious edits.
/hj

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If I had to guess, "Neo Earth of Return Veneration". Ah, Engrish at its finest!

But that can't be *all* of what it's saying. You can clearly see that there's a final word there, after 'Vercerasion' (or whatever analogue to 'return invasion' was meant).

Ryan Tyrrell (http://lists.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1997-November/001208.html) thinks that final word is 'team'. It's the right length, the word seems to start with 't' and 'm', and makes sense in context, so I tend to think he's right.

Zinger_Sinh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zinger_Sinh » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:02 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:If I had to guess, "Neo Earth of Return Veneration". Ah, Engrish at its finest!

Maybe it means 'a hailing of a new earth'?
Cause thats what it seems like?
If it's not Evangelion...it's not...[Insert funny/witty text here]

Nepheliad
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nepheliad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Just a thought, but to me, it looked like the final word was "vereragion". If that's the case, then it's two Italian words smooshed together; separately, "vere ragion" means something like "true/real reason", if I'm not mistaken. No clue about the other words, though.
Yohohohoho!

Mechs&Tech
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mechs&Tech » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 pm

A new leaf brings new life?
Unhealthy robot fanatic since 92.

Nerd stuff and sketches.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”